Sony PS3 Slim to BDP-S370 Very Bad Move

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
SamsonD: Dr BB. Denon 2500BT? I think you need to have your eyes checked.
emotion-15.gif

Well SamsonD, these are my findings & my friend's who owns the Denon. I'm only talking about blu-ray playback. I let my trustworthy Kuro upscale DVDs.

If you have a different opinion, so be it. You can keep your thoughts about my eyesight to yourself.

A

Anonymous

so the verdict is...the ps3 slim has loud fan noise and maybe unreliable but PQ and Aq is good...the 370 has a slighty better PQ but Aq is the same? I'm still confused! which one should i get?
emotion-9.gif

A

Anonymous

not half as confused as me ..

the ps3 .. great player when launched .. then , bettered by the

sony 360 , hmmm , ok great , job done , but then the 360 was murdered by the

sony 760 , ah , so thats the one to get then , blu-ray bliss
emotion-11.gif
, but hang on , the

sony 370 beats that , oh lordy , yes , its even better , and much cheaper , so thats it then , but

if the 370 is only ever so slightly better than a ps3 , how does it beat a 760 , which murdered the ps3 slaying 360 ???

come on now folks .... sumthin aint right ere issit
emotion-40.gif

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:hmmm , dont know , the prof would be the man to answer that id say...

Not on this one I'm afraid - only have a 60GB version myself which is also restricted in that it can't bitstream so I can't do a comparison to see.

In theory, I can't see why decoding a soundtrack within the player should be any different from decoding within an AV amplifier. However, some individuals from WHF have stated that improvements can be had by using some AV amps to decode in place of some Blu-Ray players (note the crucial use of the word "some" there!). And I've not personally done any testing either way to dispute those claims.

A

Anonymous

Abou the quality of the PS3 phat lpcm and the bitsream, I have to tell that the difference was very marked to me on the denon the decoded signal supplied by the phat as also noted on the review of the Phat one, is very light and lacks a lot of authority and needed me increase the subwoofer level when playing blu-rays compared to my dvd player, the Denon decoded Bitstream is much punchier and had to set my sub back to normal, as far as picture is concerned there is no diffrence between the two and the slim is noisier, even the ejection mechanism on the slim is noisy, and when switched off after use, it makes a crisping sound probably the cooling plastic is the cause.

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
SamsonD:bigboss:

I think PS3 is one of the most under rated blu-ray players. I struggle to notice a difference between the PS3 & my Panasonic BD60. In fact, for blu-ray playback, it was hard to notice a difference even with my friend's Denon 2500BT. I did not check panning shots closely, though. All this comparison made on my 50-inch Kuro.

But considering the versatility the PS3 offers, it's a fantastic player.

Dr BB. Denon 2500BT? I think you need to have your eyes checked.
emotion-15.gif

When I wanted an improvement over my PS3 Fat I first brought a Panasonic BD30 it add slightly better audio and a slight better colour, so not major improvement, but then all the reviews about the DENON 2500BT then I thought give that ago, and that blown me away how much the images look 3D ish and the colour really natural and silky smooth motion, the only thing which takes time to get use to IMPO was how sharp it was.

But I must say that to get the best out of any of the players and to see improvements over each of them the screen needs to be calibrated correctly.

A

Anonymous

Well I have both a phat PS3 and a BDP-S350.

On my system I have found that my Onkyo 875 produces a better sound track bitstreamed to it by the 350 and a slightly sharper picture than the PS3 on Blueray.

I use the PS3 now for games, my digital pictures, music stored on its hard drive, and the i player function.

I feel I have the best of both worlds with a system that shines with it being fed with a pure mains supply.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I think what confuses matters is that the grouptest in this month's mag looked at all players under £300, which includes models in different price brackets. So, when the team conclude the 370 is fantastic value at £170 (and now even cheaper), I'm sure they're right. On a performance per pound basis, the 370 rules... it should be teriffic value for money.

If price was not a factor, however, does the 370 still deliver the best pic and sound quality of all the players in the group test? One would think that yes, it does, based on the conclusions proffered in the mag. Which makes the purchase of a 370 a no brainer -- so long as wireless connectivity without an expensive dongle and multichannel analogue outs are not important to you, or the apparently slightly flimsy design.

But the amount of attention and dramatically differing comments/user reviews posted on this forum have meant that confusion rules. I'm left wondering whether to bother; and the only way I'll truly find out if it's worth it is by shelling out to buy one. It's not a great outlay, but would be good to know if the purchase represents a perceptible step-up from the PS3?

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash:

I think what confuses matters is that the grouptest in this month's mag looked at all players under £300, which includes models in different price brackets. So, when the team conclude the 370 is fantastic value at £170 (and now even cheaper), I'm sure they're right. On a performance per pound basis, the 370 rules... it should be teriffic value for money.

If price was not a factor, however, does the 370 still deliver the best pic and sound quality of all the players in the group test? One would think that yes, it does, based on the conclusions proffered in the mag. Which makes the purchase of a 370 a no brainer -- so long as wireless connectivity without an expensive dongle and multichannel outs are not important to you, or the apparently slight flimsy design.

But the amount of attention and dramatically differeing comments/user reviews posted on this forum have meant that confusion rules. I'm left wondering whether to bother; and the only way I'll truly find out if it's worth it is by shelling out to buy one. It's not a great outlay, but would be good to know if the purchase represents a perceptible step-up from the PS3?

As always you need to try it for your self, as with all the comments on here will only make you more confused.

My personal opinion would be that, I can not see that player really out performing the PS3 by a massive mile, it may have slight improvements, but as always you may get the player and see a major improvement, if you got the outlay then order it from Amazon or any place that accept returns then you have nothing to lose.

A

Anonymous

You have to keep in mind the synergy of your system, or what you are building.

The processing power of a high spec AV amp is really very good. Feeding it with a bitstream source will produce excellent results, even off budget players.
So don't pay for what you don't need. If you have a pure signal feed to the Amp you are sorted.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Trevor79

Not sure my Yamaha 1065 qualifies as a high end product -- somewhere comfortably in the middle of the range would probably be more accurate.

Nevertheless, as it was more expensive than my PS3, and designed singularly to decode and process audio, you would expect it to do a better job than the PS3, which is what I was getting at all along. In principle, bitstreamed audio should produce better results through the Yamaha than if it was fed Linear PCM from the PS3.

A

Anonymous

bigboss:

emotion-15.gif

You can keep your thoughts about my eyesight to yourself.

Touchy, touchy - you do have a problem with your eye-sight then!!

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
007L2Thrill:strapped for cash:

If price was not a factor, however, does the 370 still deliver the best pic and sound quality of all the players in the group test? One would think that yes, it does, based on the conclusions proffered in the mag. Which makes the purchase of a 370 a no brainer -- so long as wireless connectivity without an expensive dongle and multichannel outs are not important to you, or the apparently slight flimsy design.

But the amount of attention and dramatically differeing comments/user reviews posted on this forum have meant that confusion rules. I'm left wondering whether to bother; and the only way I'll truly find out if it's worth it is by shelling out to buy one. It's not a great outlay, but would be good to know if the purchase represents a perceptible step-up from the PS3?

As always you need to try it for your self, as with all the comments on here will only make you more confused.

My personal opinion would be that, I can not see that player really out performing the PS3 by a massive mile, it may have slight improvements, but as always you may get the player and see a major improvement, if you got the outlay then order it from Amazon or any place that accept returns then you have nothing to lose.

i think thats quite true as how sharp can a pin get! to me the improvement over the ps3 were in sound, depth of image, movement and slow panning

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
SamsonD:bigboss:

emotion-15.gif

leave it out it doesnt enhance the debate

aliahk

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
The old ps3 whisper quiet? Mmm you must be deaf.

I watched a blu ray this weekend and i heard it clearly over the movie sound from 4m distance .

But i still love my ps3, for that kind of money you can't fault it!

A

Anonymous

It will surely be better if you have a bitsream capable Blu ray player. Am saying so by self experience.

f1only:SamsonD:bigboss:

emotion-15.gif

leave it out it doesnt enhance the debate

Exactly. Anyways, I'm not answerable to people who don't form their own opinion by an actual comparison & rely on all the reviews to form one.

A

Anonymous

bb , have you compared the sound between a ps3 decoding and sending to your yam , and your pana player bitstreaming to the yam , with the yam doing the decoding ??

maxflinn:bb , have you compared the sound between a ps3 decoding and sending to your yam , and your pana player bitstreaming to the yam , with the yam doing the decoding ??

Ah.......that's where there is a bit of a difference. I preferred the Yamaha than the PS3 to decode audio. On its own, PS3 is no slouch & sounds excellent. Quite difficult to compare because I was concentrating on the picture quality, but I was enjoying the audio from the Yamaha a bit more. The newer PS3 slim is welcome in this regard.

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I just returned after playing some music and trying my THX test disc, plus I was trying decoding from my DENON 2500-BT, PCM and bitstream and bitstream is miles better, bigger bass weight more powerful midrange and smoother treble.

A

Anonymous

bigboss:
emotion-15.gif

Well SamsonD, these are my findings & my friend's who owns the Denon. I'm only talking about blu-ray playback. I let my trustworthy Kuro upscale DVDs.

If you have a different opinion, so be it. You can keep your thoughts about my eyesight to yourself.
well i must need my eyes checking as well because like big boss and his friend im hard pressed to see any differance from my denon 2500bt and ps3! they look identical to me and my other half, and that was on my kuro and my infocus x10 projector when i had it.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i def can see improvements with panning and fast motion between the fat 60gb ps3 and both the sony 370 and 760 - sound is a lot better - don't know how different between the newer ps3 or the denon as not seen either - faults are subtle as no big picture errors these days or dodgy video tapes

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts