Sony PS3 Slim review now online

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
Just a big thank you to the people who defended what i commented on about pcm or bitstreaming sound via ps3s.like i stated it was just my thoughts and my thoughts only.And to be crippled by a few people is just so wrong,or maybe i hit a nerve.and this has nothing to do with who i work for.belive me ihave heard many other brands in my 20 years in retail.and i like to think i have a set-up that im happy with.I love to change my kit around when i can,some stuff great other stuff not so great.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
wow- missed this thread. A lot of anger on here, and for someone to interpret it as "arrogance" to post "and now doubt this will be commented on" (i.e. people will have different opinions and possibly even downright disagree) is heh-some in the extreme.

People - they're only words on a screen.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
PJPro:Maybe I remember this incorrectly but didn't the mag reckon, as a general statement, that it was better to do the decoding on the player and send the PCM to the amp?

Nope, other way round (as a generalisation - depends on kit involved). You may be getting confused with what we said about upscaling, where we found through testing that (with some exceptions, and assuming your components are of a similar class) it's better to let the source do the upscaling than your TV or receiver.

F

FunkyMonkey

To hopefully sort out some confusion:

"Legacy", lossy, movie codecs like Dolby Digital and DTS could be "deciphered" into 5.1 or 6.1 or whatever in a non-accurate way cos they were lossy.

Lossless ones like True HD or Master Audio are lossless so in theory it doesn't matter if they are decoded on board and sent out as PCM or decoded in the receiver, cos like ZIP files, the uncompressed signal should be teh same whatever. Lossless, you see.

The issue for me, as well as seeing a light on my Onkyo 805 receiver is that the PS3 (phat) has to be switched between PCM (for Blu Ray) and Bitstream (for DVD). Which is just inconvenient.

Also, the conversion in the PS3 takes processing power which means heat and therefore fan-noise. Which ain't good. Another, BETTER, reason for decoding to be favoured off-board in the receiver which is built for such tasks.

Hopefully this enlightens the ignorant as well as confused. ;-)

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
FunkyMonkey:

To hopefully sort out some confusion:

"Legacy", lossy, movie codecs like Dolby Digital and DTS could be "deciphered" into 5.1 or 6.1 or whatever in a non-accurate way cos they were lossy.

Lossless ones like True HD or Master Audio are lossless so in theory it doesn't matter if they are decoded on board and sent out as PCM or decoded in the receiver, cos like ZIP files, the uncompressed signal should be teh same whatever. Lossless, you see.

The issue for me, as well as seeing a light on my Onkyo 805 receiver is that the PS3 (phat) has to be switched between PCM (for Blu Ray) and Bitstream (for DVD). Which is just inconvenient.

Also, the conversion in the PS3 takes processing power which means heat and therefore fan-noise. Which ain't good. Another, BETTER, reason for decoding to be favoured off-board in the receiver which is built for such tasks.

Hopefully this enlightens the ignorant as well as confused. ;-)

Obviously a member of the Aufklaerung movement.What about the couldn't care less movement or we haven't got a system that can differentiate movement.

F

FunkyMonkey

Aufkl„rung - Enlightenment

What I thought was a dig is actually a compliment. Cool.
emotion-1.gif

mike aitch

Feb 9, 2008
Visit site
as we've all no doubt found by now,v 3.00 update does'nt allow bitstream.i doubt that we'll ever get the ability to do it,simply because sony don't want us to.why would they?market research and threads like this all over the net tells them what we want,so they've given us what we want,(in the shape of the same basic machine),but we'll have to trade up to the new one;it'll never be free.you pays yer money and takes yer choice i'm afraid.

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
Think thats unfair mike.as you know tech moves at such a fast pace nowadays,look how many blu-ray players have had diffrent profiles in the last two years.at the time the "phat" ps3 was launched the hardware has moved on in the last 3 years,you can still enjoy dolby true hd or dts hd master audio.the ps3 decodes onboard,then sends the signal to your amp, with and hdmi imput on your amp.The new ps3 3 send it out in a bitstream mode,im not going to comment on the rest as i seem to get shot down in flames lol.

mike aitch

Feb 9, 2008
Visit site
i understand absolutely the reasons for it sonycentre.nevertheless it's a fact.thinking logically it would be a major faux-pas on sony's part to improve this marvellous machine(60 giger)so much with updates,as to render slim and standalones as irrelavent.the reason for my indignation is that we've had the carrot dangled for so long,it would be nice to have the option,that's all.if i was mr sony i'd ignore me aswell!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts