Sony KD75XD9405BU picture issues, upscaling ??

Sdramos78

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
Hi I've just bought and installed the new Sony KD75XD9405BU, i was under the impression that this tv up scaled sd/hd content?? And from reading a few reviews I also thought this tv was going to have an incredible picture.

however, watching through a sky+hd box, sd pictures are pretty poor and hd pictures are good but not great.

I haven't changed any settings as yet and I understand that this tv is huge so maybe it's a size/distance problem??

can you tell me am I missing something or does the tv need setting up rather than just the straight out the box settings or does it not upscale etc?? Any help/advice would be great as this was very expensive and at the moment I'm not impressed!!

thankyou

Upscaling does not mean improving picture quality. It simply means that the TV automatically makes up lower resolution pictures to fill all the pixels in its screen. If the pictures fill the screen (and not a tiny letterbox in the middle of the screen with everything else black), then it is upscaling.

Because it's a 4K TV, it makes up 95% of the SD picture (SD resolution is only 5% of 4K resolution). So SD upscaling will be worse on a 4K TV as compared to a 1080p TV. And it's a large TV. What's your viewing distance?

Sdramos78

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, the viewing distance is 10' to 14'. how much affect do cheap or expensive hdmi leads make as some people say none and others say lots ?? ie do I need a high speed 4K super dooper lead or is the standard sky lead ok??

would it make any sense to get an "expert" round to configure the tv or are the tv's "auto" settings good enough ??

also it seems that the tv's built in tuner has a slightly better picture than sky??

thankyou

Sdramos78

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
It's just after reading reviews on this tv it sounded great, and I assumed that upscaling meant making the sd picture better i.e. more like hd and that hd would be more like 4k?? It seems that's not what upscaling means.

so I just really wanted to know if I can improve things with configuration of the settings or with better leads etc??

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Sdramos78 said:
It's just after reading reviews on this tv it sounded great, and I assumed that upscaling meant making the sd picture better i.e. more like hd and that hd would be more like 4k?? It seems that's not what upscaling means.

so I just really wanted to know if I can improve things with configuration of the settings or with better leads etc??

As bigboss says, upscaling means stretching the source which has fewer pixels to fill the television picture which has a greater number of pixels. Nothing to do at all with making the picture better, though in my experience of my three current biggest televisions (and also of a Samsung PS64D8000 which I used to have) standard definition sources, Freeview or DVDs, look pretty fine on my bigger (Full HD) televisions, though interestingly slightly less so on my Pioneer 5090, which dates from the year 2008, much older than my other machines.

I watch my full HD (ie, not 4K resolution) 75" Sony from a distance of between nine and twelve feet. For a 4K machine, you should watch slightly closer than for a Full HD television.

You might like to know that there can be some problems with Sky boxes, not necessarily the fault of your Sony 75XD9405 at all.

I don't know what settings you are using, but if you scroll halfway down this page you'll come to a video link, which gives the approved calibrated settings for your television.

https://www.avforums.com/review/sony-kd-75xd9405-ultra-hd-4k-hdr-tv-review.12268

D

Deleted member 2457

You could always return it if you are not fully satisfied.

Sdramos78

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
Is the thx calibration disc fairly user friendly or do you have to be a tv expert to use it and also is it worth doing a calibration of this type ??

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Sdramos78 said:
Is the thx calibration disc fairly user friendly or do you have to be a tv expert to use it and also is it worth doing a calibration of this type ??

No need to buy one nearly all THX Certified DVD's have a Calibration Utility in the "Extras" section and yes they're easy to use as they just walk you through various tests with step by step instructions such as match the grey band shown on the left of the screen with the closest match from the selection on the right.

It usually takes around 10 minutes total to calibrate the picture and it walks you through everything with easy to follow instructions. Make a mistake, and you can just re-run it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts