Sony gets behind high-resolution audio...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
But they have now decided that they want their slice of the profitable audiophool cake even though they know that high resolution audio won't improve the sound quality.

Exactly! This is profiteering from audiophools, just as they do with vinyl.

audioman

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
I have just been checking the price of the new HAP-Z1S on the UK Sony website the price is quoted as £1999.00 on the Sony Germany website it is 1999.00 Euro. In the US price is quoted as $1999.00 looks like we are paying over to much again in the UK.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
audioman said:
I have just been checking the price of the new HAP-Z1S on the UK Sony website the price is quoted as £1999.00 on the Sony Germany website it is 1999.00 Euro. In the US price is quoted as $1999.00 looks like we are paying over to much again in the UK.

Go and live in America then.

In the UK there are higher taxes at every point in the 'chain' from when the goods arrive in the dock, to when you take it home. Even the fuel used by the van that delivers the box to the dealer will cost more.

I wouldn't be suprised if Sony make less money selling the same item in the UK.

chebby said:
audioman said:

Go and live in America then.

In the UK there are higher taxes at every point in the 'chain' from when the goods arrive in the dock, to when you take it home. Even the fuel used by the van that delivers the box to the dealer will cost more.

I wouldn't be suprised if Sony make less money selling the same item in the UK.

And yet Google is able to sell its phones and tablets at comparable rates in US & UK.

I don't understand the reason for it to be priced worse than Germany at all. Sony's own products are priced according to £/€ exchange rates. Why should this be any different?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
audioman said:
So we should just accept that everything is more expensive in the UK and be happy about it?

No.

As I said, you could go to America.

Or you could try and change the entire UK taxation system (good luck).

Or join / start / support / vote for / campaign for a political party who promise to scrap or drastically reduce the taxes that are offending you.

Or live with it.

Or buy your audio kit cheaply in the USA, have it imported, pay import duty + VAT + shipping and see how you get on when / if it fails and you find your dealer and manufacturer guarantees are void in the UK (and only last 90 days in the States) and your statutory UK consumer rights are void too.

daveh75

bigboss said:
And yet Google is able to sell its phones and tablets at comparable rates in US & UK.

Google is successful, and happy to sell its handsets/tablets at cost just to get people using its services, and selling in there millions.

Sony's electronics arm is "worthless", and how many of these players are they likely to sell?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts