Sony gets behind high-resolution audio...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
chebby said:
bigboss said:
chebby said:
bigboss said:
Sonos does AirPlay.

Play 5 only 'does' AirPlay if an AirPort Express is connected with the minijack line in...

http://www.sonos.com/airplay/

So again, more cables, another mains connection, another £80 and connected via a minijack cable (therefore using the rather poor DAC in the AEX rather than the internal DAC in the Sonos device).

No, that's wrong. I regularly play songs from my iPad on my Sonos. I used to have AirPort Express, but after an update, the AirPort Express is in my drawer!

Does the AirPlay (on your Sonos) also work when you bring up BBC iPlayer (Radio or TV) on your phone / tablet and does TuneIn Radio Pro work via AirPlay on these devices?

Or does it only work with iTunes?

iPlayer does not work via AirPlay. I don't use Tunein Radio so cannot comment.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Play:5 has a line-in to connect your TV to.

So you suggest going from a direct optical digital audio connection, from my TV to the DAC in my Marantz (or the B&W A7 in our discussion), to an analogue minijack line-in connection?

I prefer a direct digital path.

HDMI connectected (from BDP and PVR) to TV and then uncoverted optical digital audio straight to the DAC in the hi-fi. No sync issues and top quality.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
I'm only giving you options. You're bent on the A7 anyway.

Just as when I researched the M-CR603 against all-comers, they all seemed to have just the one or two things missing. They all had some compromise or needed some extra device to do what I wanted.

I have exact requirements when I buy something and I won't buy unless they are matched (without 'workarounds').

John Duncan

chebby said:
bigboss said:
Play:5 has a line-in to connect your TV to.

So you suggest going from a direct optical digital audio connection, from my TV to the DAC in my Marantz (or the B&W A7 in our discussion), to an analogue minijack line-in connection?

I prefer a direct digital path.

HDMI connectected (from BDP and PVR) to TV and then uncoverted optical digital audio straight to the DAC in the hi-fi. No sync issues and top quality.

No, not any more. Too many requirements not met. NP.

audioman

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
The reason i am a little disappointed in Sony not producing an SACD player is. I currently have a 10 year plus old Sony integrated amp and CD player from the ES range. I have been looking to replace them. They are both still working well and have never broken down.
As i have many hundreds of CD's and a couple of hundred SACD's i still need to be able to play them. I am using a DVD/SACD player currently. I do. Ot intend to replace my music. This is an old chestnut that is always rolled out when new audio formats appear. "You will have to buy it again on CD/SACD/DVD Audio/ Minidisc/DCC etc.... I want to be able to play my current music to the best quality and as i expand my collection have the option to purchase high resolution versions.
I have always avoided putting music and computers together. I have a CD recorder. Making a copy of a CD on the recorder and then on a PC. When you listen to them both. The PC copy sounds worse. Storing and playing back from an HDD in a dedicated audio product or NAS drive seems to offer similar quality to direct CD play back.
I would like to hear the Sony when it is available. Unfortunately Hi- Fi dealers do not seem to stock Sony! They have lost there there reputation for Quality and service over the last few years. Maybe products like the new high resolution audio system will start to get this reputation back.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
http://www.sony.jp/audio/products/SCD-XE800/

http://www.sony.jp/audio/products/SCD-XA5400ES/

http://www.sony.jp/audio/products/SCD-DR1/

Although it doesn't look like these are available outside of Japan, which might tell you something about the popularity of the SACD format in Japan Vs. the rest of the world.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
"Sony doesn't see hi-res audio as a narrow, niche market. In Anderson's view, some of the firm's customers already want it, while others will have to be educated about the benefits of better-than-MP3 audio."

http://www.whathifi.com/blog/ifa-2013-sony-puts-the-focus-on-hi-res-audio-and-4k-tv

The above quote seems like an about turn for Sony. Wasn't it Sony who did the research with Apple a few years ago and found that lossy AAC files could sound identical to lossless audio?

They didn't even make their MP3 players FLAC compatible because they deemed it unnecessary in terms of replay sound quality.

John Duncan

steve_1979 said:
"Sony doesn't see hi-res audio as a narrow, niche market. In Anderson's view, some of the firm's customers already want it, while others will have to be educated about the benefits of better-than-MP3 audio."

http://www.whathifi.com/blog/ifa-2013-sony-puts-the-focus-on-hi-res-audio-and-4k-tv

The above quote seems like an about turn for Sony. Wasn't it Sony who did the research with Apple a few years ago and found that lossy AAC files could sound identical to lossless audio?

They didn't even make their MP3 players FLAC compatible because they deemed it unnecessary in terms of replay sound quality.

Echo...echo...echo...

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
steve_1979 said:

Echo...echo...echo...

Apologies if that's already been mentioned in the thread. I couldn't be bothered to read through all of it.

John Duncan

steve_1979 said:
John Duncan said:
steve_1979 said:

Echo...echo...echo...

Apologies if that's already been mentioned in the thread. I couldn't be bothered to read through all of it.

It's more when you copy and paste the same thing across a number of forums...

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
steve_1979 said:
John Duncan said:
steve_1979 said:

Echo...echo...echo...

It's more when you copy and paste the same thing across a number of forums...

Ahh, I see. :)

Not everyone on this forum reads the AVI forum so I thought it was worth repeating here too.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
spiny norman said:
To get back on topic, yes – Sony has got way behind on high-resolution audio ;)

Sony were behind on high resolution audio. But they have now decided that they want their slice of the profitable audiophool cake even though they know that high resolution audio won't improve the sound quality.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Not everyone on this forum reads the AVI forum so I thought it was worth repeating here too.

Why dupicate it here when people can go and look at the actual AVI forum themselves if they wish?

Is it that 'missionary' thing again?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
steve_1979 said:

Why dupicate it here when people can go and look at the actual AVI forum themselves if they wish?

Is it that 'missionary' thing again?

Missionary thing? :roll:

No. It was just a comment about the new Sony player.

TRENDING THREADS