Sony gets behind high-resolution audio...

theo12

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Whilst £2k is a lot for a music player, the interesting aspect that will get my attention from the reviews is the ability to convert all of your music to DSD. I have several CD's that I think are "high "quality" recordings and as they say if the source is good the "upscaling" could be awesome. I applaud Sony for producing these products and for having a site to find hi-res downloads.

No doubt it would be expensive, but if that DSD re-mastering function does what it says on the tin, then I will be saving my pennies and getting one.

The fact that the players play all manner of file types should also be praised as Sony have often tried to put their own formats out there, but this time have joined in to allow everyone to enjoy their files without having to convert them.

Well done Sony and keep bringing more.

manicm

These seem to be the most exciting hifi products in a long time. As one who has no real reason/interest in wired streaming these Sonys are a Godsend. That mini-system looks like a firecracker as well. This is what I've been waiting for! Hope they sell the mini without the speakers so one can get the double-tweeter jobs.

As for DSD? Pah! If many claim SACDs are renamed mediocrity then DSD downloads are just repackaged mediocrity. Go on then, swallow your words. DSD is so yesterday. Get high-res FLAC or go home, simple as that. DSD downloads are just unnecessary obfuscation.

manicm

audioman said:
Pitty they did not produce a matching SACD player. I would not look at buying this without a matching disc player.

They're offering a hard disk player that will store and play almost any format and you want a disc player? Do you get invited to any parties lately?

matthewpiano

I think Sony getting back into high quality 2-channel audio is very exciting, even though I've got no chance of affording the seperates myself. Sony certainly have the technical ability and know-how to produce outstanding product so there is no reason to suspect that these items, and particularly the amp, won't perform in keepin with their asking price. There is absolutely no reason why Sony can't compete with companies like Naim and Linn on sound quality.

What I would like to see, however, is Sony also coming back into the affordable arena with a really good £400-£500 integrated amp with digital inputs. Now that would be exciting.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
simonlewis said:
Tacty said:
overpriced and expensive...or both...

How can it be and/or, it's not possible.

Hard to understand what you mean as with the "and/or", you've covered all bases. Something could be £200 - which isn't particularly expensive, but could be overpriced for what it does. Something else could be £2,000 - which is expensive, but might be great value for money. It could also be overpriced for what it does for £2,000, which makes it both :)

manicm

David@FrankHarvey said:
manicm said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
audioman said:
Pitty they did not produce a matching SACD player. I would not look at buying this without a matching disc player.

Keep an eye on Marantz... :)

Who cares?

Well, if we all had that attitude....

Well if you think about it - we all have that attitude and Sony may have recognised this. They could have sunk funds into a new disc player with SACD playback and....how many would they have sold?? Unless you've been a zealous SACD collector what precisely is the point? And I maintain DSD downloads are a damned nuisance. They're a digital mosquito adding no value whatsoever. Remember true DSD mastering is complex, time-consuming and expensive - and I doubt any of these DSD downloads have been produced with the requisite TLC I mentioned. Maybe it's Sony's last flogging of a dead horse. Just forget it already.

They've clearly gone out of their way to provide an expandable, comprehensive hard drive based system that will appeal to many who are afraid of solely ethernet streaming (let's forget wireless for the audiophile/enthusiast shall we), and for many this will be the right choice - at a more accessible point than say Naim's similar HDX.

Their mini system seems a cracker, even at 800 quid.

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I think Sony getting back into high quality 2-channel audio is very exciting, even though I've got no chance of affording the seperates myself. Sony certainly have the technical ability and know-how to produce outstanding product so there is no reason to suspect that these items, and particularly the amp, won't perform in keepin with their asking price. There is absolutely no reason why Sony can't compete with companies like Naim and Linn on sound quality.

What I would like to see, however, is Sony also coming back into the affordable arena with a really good £400-£500 integrated amp with digital inputs. Now that would be exciting.

I totally agree.

I do however, think it would be hard to convince the paid up Linn or Naim fan that Sony can offer just as good, or sometimes even better sounding products, mainly because of clever marketing and reputation/perceptions, but I was one of those rare ones, who sold off his Naim electronics (all bought new) and replaced them with Sony ES 9000 series (also all bought new), simply because the Sony was not only better sonically, but vastly better VFM as well as a much nicer finish and perceived quality etc.

Sony are another highly underated company when it comes to audiophile perceptions and myths.

JB

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
ID. said:
Digital out would've been nice.

But then that would be as much as admitting that you could improve on Sony's DACs and they clearly don't think so. I can see the point for cheap equipment but £2k? How much are you going to spend on a DAC to attempt to improve on what's already in the box?

T

the record spot

Probably best avoid the likes of dCS in that case mate... :)

DSD had been with us for a few years now, and the new Teac UB-501 looks interesting too. Of course, several AV amps will handle a DSD encoded disc too.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
ID. said:
Digital out would've been nice.

But then that would be as much as admitting that you could improve on Sony's DACs and they clearly don't think so. I can see the point for cheap equipment but £2k? How much are you going to spend on a DAC to attempt to improve on what's already in the box?

Just in the realms of wishful thinking. In an ideal world the consumer would be blessed with a plethora of the inputs and outputs of their choice. In terms of budget, I'd be interested in the small one with digital out. Not a product I've looked into much, but it certainly isn't the 1st mini system with a HDD. No idea whether others will play back hi rez or have digital outs, but I think there are others by Sony, Denon, Onkyo and Panasonic. Fairly small HDD capacity. I think 250 GB is the biggest I've seen.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Along with Blu-ray audio, I think this is simply another marketing tactic to get the 'audio enthusiast' to buy, yet again, the music he already owns in another format. An attempt to claw back some of the money being lost through the fall in CD sales.

This in itself does not bother me, but since we know that the improvement in quality available simply by going from CD to higher resolution formats is, at best, tiny, any worthwhile improvement in SQ that is actually delivered by the 'better' formats will come from better mastering and generally better production values.

Something that, if applied to CD releases, would result in CDs that are ever bit (sic) as good as the blu-ray, SACD or whatever discs.

Of course this wouldn't sell many hi-rez audio components would it?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts