Sony Fan Boys

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Has anyone read the lastest 'Guide to New Technology 2008'?

Look at the picture of the Xbox on page 97. It has the 'four red rings of death' showing. Now does this seem like a little bit of a cheeky creative licence on the part of the photoshop department? Or should I call them the 'Sony Fan Boys'?

Also in the the group test, I agree with the reviews on the basis of the ability of the consoles to display HD video. But a games console's first priority must be games! Unfortunately, the test accidentially on purpose forgets to mention the fact that the PS3 is very light on triple A titles. Instead we get 'there's an increasingly extensive range of the latest and most ambitious games ever made'. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

What PS3 games are more ambitious than the 360's Halo 3, Forza Motorsport 2 or Bioshock? Games like 'The Orange Box' and 'Call of Duty 4' are also avaliable on the 360 - with it's better online experience.

I'm shocked What Hi Fi. Sony Fan Boys indeed.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="PiperUK"]

Look at the picture of the Xbox on page 97. It has the 'four red rings of death' showing. Now does this seem like a little bit of a cheeky creative licence on the part of the photoshop department? Or should I call them the 'Sony Fan Boys'?

[/quote]

Thank gawd he hasn't noticed that if you read the piece backwards you hear a demonic voice telling you to go out and destroy, destroy, DESTROY!!!

Or it could just be that the nachine in question was showing that display when photographed - ages ago for What HI-Fi? Sound and Vision. Really, you credit us with far too much deviousness...

A

Anonymous

In defence of What Hi Fi, they're not Sony Fan Boys, they're Onkyo Fan Boys. Can't you see the ad banner and the everlasting "most read" article ?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Goodness me, advertising - excuse us for being a thriving business. Not surprising many companies want to advertise here when we're getting well over a million page impressions a month and hundreds of thousands of unique users - all of which we're giving independent, expert advice to.

Or haven't you seen the three- and four-star ratings we've given to Onkyo products in the past few issues? I thought not...

Re the 'most read' story - simple, technical answer to that one. It was one of the first pieces written for the site, pre-launch, and was used as the test article by our developers - ie what would happen if you bombarded the server. The new version of the site - to be launched next year - will allow us to edit such things, but this one is very literal: it's seeing the Onkyo story as the one that's received the most hits.

A

Anonymous

In defence, the Onkyo products are better than their competition. Anyone who has heard them in action would agree.

Andrew - can you explain why the Xbox was showing the 'red ring?'

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
The 'four red rings of death'? Blimey, having just dragged myself out of bed (well, I am on holiday!), I thought I must have had too much mulled wine last night when Santa popped round. Obviously I'll have the Art Editor publicly flogged for 'creative misuse' of Photoshop when we return to work in the New Year.

A

Anonymous

So is that an admission that a member of staff at What Hi Fi sabotaged the photo of the 360 because he is a Sony Fan Boy?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="PiperUK"]

In defence, the Onkyo products are better than their competition. Anyone who has heard them in action would agree.

Andrew - can you explain why the Xbox was showing the 'red ring?'

[/quote]

As I said, I think it was a picture originally taken for WHFSV. But why that display? Nope, no idea...

Actually, it's more like to be as as result of a time exposure for the display, rather than photoshoppage - our photographers usually take two exposures - one with flash for the unit itself, and a second longer one in darkness for the display. Which of course means the LEDs illuminating in sequence will appear like they're all lit at once.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="PiperUK"]
So is that an admission that a member of staff at What Hi Fi sabotaged the photo of the 360 because he is a Sony Fan Boy?

[/quote]

No, I think it was a joke... It's hard to tell with a holidaying Clough.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
Re the 'most read' story - simple, technical answer to that one. It was one of the first pieces written for the site, pre-launch, and was used as the test article by our developers - ie what would happen if you bombarded the server.[/quote]

And the fact that the story contained the first mention of Onkyo's HD DVD player, plus the news that the company was also considering venturing into Blu-ray, meant it was picked up by, and linked to by, large numbers of sites discussing HD video, and thus attracted loads of traffic

But hey, as usual Susanoo's implying dodginess...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts