Taken delivery of w905a and did my own test

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Finally taken delivery of this new Tv today, returned the faulty 55inch Hx853.My appreciation to Richer sounds Croydon for customer service....and Paddy from head office.

With all the uncertainty about the Sony triluminous techo thingie, I did my own testing.I am bilingual and half korean, I legally downloaded a Korean drama series call 'dong yi', a medieval drama shot on 4k with a wider color space than a bluray disk but also avaliable as a 1080p material.This drama has lots of bright colours from period costumes especially reds.If the triluminous is as good as Sony says then we should see this improve. I have seen the korean drama on my ex hx853tv and so has a good reference standard to make a case for or against. Now On the medium triluminous (live colour) setting I saw a big jump in colour vividness......and I was very impressed.....there was clearly more colours on the screen than the hx853tv and more enjoyable viewing! Will test it with a ps3 game-Ninja gaiden sigma 2.I am sure it will do equal justice.

So the triluminous does work but you have to feed the right souce material.

By the way I saw the latest front cover of Home Cinema choice magazine and the cover story headline.....music to my ears....says 40 inch 'sony w905 takes Led TV crown'.

D

Deleted member 2457

z058261 said:
Finally taken delivery of this new Tv today, returned the faulty 55inch Hx853.My appreciation to Richer sounds Croydon for customer service....and Paddy from head office.

With all the uncertainty about the Sony triluminous techo thingie, I did my own testing.I am bilingual and half korean, I legally downloaded a Korean drama series call 'dong yi', a medieval drama shot on 4k with a wider color space than a bluray disk but also avaliable as a 1080p material.This drama has lots of bright colours from period costumes especially reds.If the triluminous is as good as Sony says then we should see this improve. I have seen the korean drama on my ex hx853tv and so has a good reference standard to make a case for or against. Now On the medium triluminous (live colour) setting I saw a big jump in colour vividness......and I was very impressed.....there was clearly more colours on the screen than the hx853tv and more enjoyable viewing! Will test it with a ps3 game-Ninja gaiden sigma 2.I am sure it will do equal justice.

By the way I saw the latest front cover of Home Cinema choice magazine and the cover story headline.....music to my ears....says 40 inch 'sony w905 takes Led TV crown'.

Yep, HCC definitely liked it more than the Panasonic VT65!

A

Anonymous

The viewing angle on this Sony Tv is certainly not a point deducting issue on any assessment, most reviews like from tech radar, Hcc, hd tv review and hd fever.fr have not penalise their reviews on the TV on the angle issue and other individuals have posted on the defence.I am waiting for avforum to comment.The angle of ideal viewing is tighter on this model.Personally I did NOT notice it been impaired compared with the hx853tv. That is the most important point to make.The screen can be swiveled if you want perfect angle if vision.

Sony have also made the W905 much lighter and as much as 8 kg less than the hx853 and so it weights similar to the samsung 8000.The latter look (galaxy 3/4)horrid cheap by comparison with the Hx905a with that horrid 'style over function'curve stand. The TV back cover should be of metal construction like also on the top panasonic TV...not a piece of Pvc slab for a 2.5k set! The Sony Tv is the best overall LED ever from Sony and the Triluminous thingie is no gimmick.I am thinking of getting triluminous BR player to see if it will improve on BR viewing as Hc choice did.I do not think using other Br player will do justice to the TV.

In summary.....

Just feed the hx905a with sources with abundance of OTT colours golore and it will sent you to eye candy heavens golore. I still cannot believe how REDs can look ::O It is a taste of what Oled can provide....oooh

On a humble and consolidatory note a plasma will aways beat an oled on Black levels viewed in dark room so this Sony should not be compared to a zx/vt panasonic Tvs on those specific.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Food for thought then.....I'm looking at replacing my 46HX853 later in the year in favour of a larger screen so this tv was on my list along with the Samsung 8000 and 7000 series until I read about the very limited viewing angle but I think i'm going to have to try and see if I can demo one at some point and see for myself if it would be suitable for my room.

I love the styling of the W905 but even my HX853 suffers from a tight viewing angle so it does concern me but I'm going to make a point of demoing it for myself along with the Samsungs and see which I prefer, it may even come down to which issue I can live with...the viewing angle of the W905 or the backlight clouding on the Samsung 8000 and 7000 some people have reported.

Very many thanks for the info on the W905 though, it's always good to hear how new tvs perform in the real world. Still not sure about the tri-luminous tech though, it's just an extension to the live colour system which simply doesn't work and should be avoided but I will see what it's like when I get a demo.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
z058261 said:

Hello z058261,

First, I'm not quite sure what size of the Sony w905 you have?

Second, as you may have seen in my initial posting in the thread about the two full UK reviews about the Panasonic 65VT65, that different magazines can review the same product and come to different conclusions. HCC didn't like the Panasonic 65VT65 as much as I thought they would, though AVForums loved it. HCC did like the 40 inch SonyW905 muchly, but the July 2013 issue of What Hi-Fi has just thudded onto my mat. On page 39 there starts a group test of the LG 55LA860W, Panasonic TX-L55WT65, Panasonic TX-P55VT65, Philps 55PFL8008, Samsung UE55F8000, Sony KDL-55W905A. The VT65 was the only plasma. Of the other (LCD/LED) sets, the one they liked best was the Philps. The more important of two main things that they marked down the Sony for was the narrow viewing angle, saying that two people sitting side by side on a sofa would see different contrasts. The overall group test winner, by a very close margin and because of its slightly better contrast, was the Panasonic 55VT65. So What Hi-Fi don't like the Sony W905 series as much as Home Cinema Choice did. What matters is how you feel about your set. About three years ago my Denon receiver and Blu-Ray player in the parlour were loved by HCC magazine, and I bought them on the strength of that review, but they were only liked by What Hi-Fi. And I'm quite happy with both of them, and I wouldn't dream of changing them, even if I could afford it, just because What Hi-Fi didn't like it so much compared with HCC. So you stick with your Sony W905, and the viewing angle issue will not matter so much if you normally watch your TV alone.

A

Anonymous

Unfortunately, there is a lot of politics even in Reviews and people with their own vested loyalty. ....that clouds what the truth might be. In scientific research if findings cannot be replicated by other sources then it lacks the highest level of confidence in how that findings can be communicated.

It is not about what I like or don't like about any review,it is about the methodology and approach and with w905 there are conflicting analysis that goes beyond what HCC says......

I have read 5 professional reviews as 2,399 pound of money investment is at stake......and including one german and french and the consensus say the W905 is top dog overall.If I read just the one review then frankly I would have NOT NOT have brought the Sony 55inch Tv. That been the point......and ended up with god knows what......thank heavens I did my homework...amen

D

Deleted member 2457

The new Sony ranges do look good. I was in the Sony centre the other day, and one of their slightly lower models had a really cracking picture on! I have seen all of their new range too, and they are good. I do like the colour balance on them.

D

Deleted member 2457

John Lewis giving away Sony phones with their TVs:

http://www.johnlewis.com/sony-bravia-kdl55w905abu-led-hd-1080p-3d-smart-tv-55-inch-nfc-with-freeview-hd-and-4x-3d-glasses/p469249

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
From all there is to read about this series of TV..... it isn't so great.

I recon that for many a year now Sony fails. (my own opinion given the owners write-ups about em)

I wouldn't EVER buy a Sony TV before a Samsung or a Panasonic even.

Sun_Shang_Xiang

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
z058261 said:

I'm glad you're happy with the Sony. I haven't seen "Dong Yi" myself but I saw Han Hyo Joo in "Spring Waltz " some time ago and enjoyed watching it. I wish I had more time to watch K-dramas but then I'd probably pick "Brilliant Legacy " to watch rather than a period drama.I can see why some video purists would probably not pick the Sony, however this does seem to be the ideal choice for a gaming tv. I think over saturated colours tend to look good for video games. I like older video games, I haven't liked a single Tomb Raider game since Tomb raider III. Have you had a chance to test older games like Playstation 1 or Playstation 2 games on the Sony ? (It would be interesting to compare games output via a Playstation 2 via component with the W905a doing the upscaling and the same game being output via the PS3 doing the upscaling.) But I'm guessing that CRT is still King of screens for retro gaming.

A

Anonymous

Sun_Shang_Xiang said:
z058261 said:

By the way I saw the latest front cover of Home Cinema choice magazine and the cover story headline.....music to my ears....says 40 inch 'sony w905 takes Led TV crow

I'm glad you're happy with the Sony. I haven't seen "Dong Yi" myself but I saw Han Hyo Joo in "Spring Waltz " some time ago and enjoyed watching it. I wish I had more time to watch K-dramas but then I'd probably pick "Brilliant Legacy " to watch rather than a period drama.I can see why some video purists would probably not pick the Sony, however this does seem to be the ideal choice for a gaming tv. I think over saturated colours tend to look good for video games. I like older video games, I haven't liked a single Tomb Raider game since Tomb raider III. Have you had a chance to test older games like Playstation 1 or Playstation 2 games on the Sony ? (It would be interesting to compare games output via a Playstation 2 via component with the W905a doing the upscaling and the same game being output via the PS3 doing the upscaling.) But I'm guessing that CRT is still King of screens for retro gaming.

I played my ps3 games on the w905a and the games react much faster on game mode,made my reaction seem slow.Previously I would accept that plasma were better for games as they do not need to use motion interpolation trickery to aviod blur but on this Sony with game mode and with no motionflow setting, the sony takes the crown in gaming.There is imperceptible Lag.8ms....CRT reference....!

Sony is using a VA panel on the w905a rather than a Ips or mvp panel to give more punch in contrast and colour,a bold move as you trade some degree of viewing angle for colour and contrast gains and along with quantum dot technology.... takes this Tv to new gaming delight level.Benq has been using a VApanels in gaming/movie use monitors and so I knew what I was in for.

There is no perfected flat panel as no single type will give you the best of colour, contrast and response time.....this is an extremely inportant point on the sony viewing angle issue.I would not want the w905 to have an ips panel which will rob it off contrast.Sony could have quite easily souced the same Ips panel for the w9 as they did for the hx853tv. ..it a no brainer.But the result would not be as good.

I am not sure what panel the W8** or 6**uses.

Slooper

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Nice to hear your views comparing this to the HX853. I know you have mentioned input lag on the W905a being on a different level, but what about motion in games using game mode. How does the W905a compare to the HX853 in terms of blur/ghosting/any overdrive issues when panning the camera in games etc.

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Slooper said:
Nice to hear your views comparing this to the HX853. I know you have mentioned input lag on the W905a being on a different level, but what about motion in games using game mode. How does the W905a compare to the HX853 in terms of blur/ghosting/any overdrive issues when panning the camera in games etc.

Thanks.
No issues with any of your points raised. No need for motionflow input for game play.Tested and played Njnja gaiden 2 sigma....perfect for such a fast pace game.Both old and new sony sets been very game competent.Yes very low lag on gaming mode on w9 probably the best ever on a 1080p set as confirmed by HD tv reviews and Avforum by what ever method. The Hx 853 had significantly poorer lag times but still OK.Head over to hd tv test to see the published league table on lag times.

Slooper

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks very much, much appreciated. Popped into my loacl Currys today to have a look in person and came away very impressed. Being a big gamer its the input lag thats caught my attention, seems to be made to go hand in hand with a PS4.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
z058261 said:

Congrats on the new TV z0, glad you're happy with it.

I had four Sony sets in a row going back a few years (3 CRT and 1 rear projection) and loved each one, but felt they then lost their way a little, so its nice to see them back on form.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
People on this thread may not have seen my posting, number 8 on page 4, of the other Sony W905A thread. It's a bit confusing that z058261 started two different threads about the same television!

Pindi

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
People on this thread may not have seen my posting, number 8 on page 4, of the other Sony W905A thread. It's a bit confusing that z058261 started two different threads about the same television!

He obviously works for Sony! :rofl:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts