Sony Dav -IS10

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I have just bought and set up the Sony Dav-IS10 system. Having calibrated the speakers, I am now struggling to get decent sound which only starts at 40. When cranked right up to max, at 70, it can be listened to with out being too loud. Clearly there is a problem here and was wondering of you have any suggestions. I am using HDMI cable to TV as well as all the cables provided. Also, I cannot get the system to play the TV sound at all.

I am using a Toshiba 32WL56P TV and a TVonics Digital TV Recorder.

I am a complete techno phobe and would appreciate your simplest answer.

Many thanks in anticipation

Charlie

A

Anonymous

I think that is "normal" for that system. I decided against the DAV IS10 for that very reason after listening to it in a shop. With the background noise in the shop, it had to be at 50 plus to hear the system and then at full power it was obvious that the system did not have the room filling power I needed for my room. I suspect the sound would be ok in a smaller room though - hopefully that's all you need.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Simonpaul. I would be very disappointed if that is the case and, I guess, demonstrates the need to test Hifi in shops before hand. In fact, if this is true, it is both surprising and such a shame that this very lacking part of the DAV-IS10 has not been picked up in any of the reviews, I have read!

Any other views would be appreciated-thanks!

A

Anonymous

Type 'sony silence' in the search box. The Sony is plenty loud enough in small/medium sized rooms.

A

Anonymous

He means at the top of this page if you haven't already seen it. I've just read the posts and they seem to have had the same experience as I did. My living area (lounge/dining room/conservatory) is around 750 square feet. There is no way I could fill that room with the DAV IS10...

A

Anonymous

Thanks David. That forum thread really helped, although extremely disappointing to realise that the Sony DAV-IS10 has sound issues and even more disappointing, that WHFS&V missed this crucial issue-just incredible! I have just checked the price of the mag and was gob smacked to see that I have paid £4.99 and then, relying on their advice, have wasted both my money on the mag and product. I will, in future, be testing products in the shops.

Thanks again for all your replies.

A

Anonymous

Sorry to hear of your problems with the IS-10. Regular readers of the mag will know that we have regularly and repeatedly stated - for decades - that you should take our recommendations as a guide and then audition products yourself in a shop, or even better (and whenever possible), in your own home.

The other thing we've said in the mag many, many times is that all-in-one systems and surround speaker packages absolutely have to be chosen with room size in mind. Many systems are too small for rooms over a certain size, and equally, a lot of the larger systems would just be a waste of money if crammed into a small space.

Talk to your dealer again, and explain the situation with your room. Perhaps you can arrange an exchange for something more suitable? In any case, we hope you find the system you're looking for - one that suits your room! Good luck.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Have to add to Dom's comments that I heard the system when it was being tested for WHFSV - in a very large room - and subsequently tested it at home for Gramophone, and never considered it to be lacking in power. It seemed more than capable of filling quite large spaces with a lot of level.

A

Anonymous

Hi

Had the same issues BUT still a big fan of the IS10.

I got for bang for my buck when puuting the Left and Right front speakers at a 45 degree angle.

Googlekipper (Andrew's pet name for me)
emotion-5.gif

Regards

GK

A

Anonymous

Dominic, Andrew, but especially Charlie. I think the issue is with Sony and their choice of volume scale. It is set out at 0-80 which is just fine and dandy. 0-10 or 0-120 - you could argue that the numbers used are purely subjective and in the good old days of only nobbs and dials we would crank the volume round from,say, 8 o'clock to 4 o'clock.

The 'problem' with the Dav-is10 is that it is barely audible below 30, acceptable at 45-55 but does not really kick in until 60+ has been reached. If the scale was 1-8 so the above figures were 3, 5 and 6 then maybe we would not have been (initially) concerned. I was not alone in thinking that something must be wrong, even though I was getting the 'mighty rumble' by the time I hit 70(please do not quote me out of context!!).

Perhaps WHFS&V should have pointed out this little foible when they wrote the review, but at the end of the day I have been really delighted with this little system. It is better than I had hoped for even though it was voted product of the year. The only pre-purchase warning that I would give is to be mindfull of where you position the sub. It cannot be hidden away like you can with most subwoofers.

So Charlie please don't despair just yet. Unless your viewing/listening area is huge, give the little Sony a chance - just ignore the volume reading for the time being !.

Good luck

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The logic of all that sounds a bit Spinal Tap - 'it goes to 11 so it must be louder than one that only goes to 10' - but i think I get what you're saying. Sort of...

A

Anonymous

I understood what I meant!! Have now ordered 'This is Spinal Tap'(special edition) from the States for the same price as the cost of Jan and Feb WHFS&V mag.

Good job my Dav-is10 is multi-region.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

quick question:

David1997 wrote: "only pre-purchase warning that I would give is to be mindfull of where you position the sub. It cannot be hidden away like you can with most subwoofers."

Why can't it be hidden away? Does it have to face a certain direction or something?

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

I have the DAV-IS10. My room is not massive so I don't have the volume issue, but I have noticed that the output from the Sony is much louder from my Sky digibox than from my PS3. I am forever turning it down when I switch from DVD to TV. The digibox is connected via audio plugs and the PS3 by an optical lead. If there was a way of reproducing this effect on the DVD it may help the people who have volume issues.

Steve

A

Anonymous

[quote user="david1997"]

I understood what I meant!! Have now ordered 'This is Spinal Tap'(special edition) from the States for the same price as the cost of Jan and Feb WHFS&V mag.

Good job my Dav-is10 is multi-region.

[/quote]

Are they not all multi region ???

A

Anonymous

Hi Dominic I am in the same position. Tinking of buying either a 40" Sony or 37" Panasonic.. what do you think about these?

I also wanted to team this with the DAV-IS10 but don't know if it would be suitable after reading your notes my room at about 16ft x 12ft. I have Sony 970 DVD as well

Do you think Onkyo 605 + speakers?

A

Anonymous

Just for the record, I have FINALY got my house back from the builders and at last been able set up my 32D3000, Sky+ and DAV-IS10. Not done any tweeking yet, but am delighted so far.

The room is not huge at just under 300 square feet, but there is plenty of volume from the DAV-IS10. I don't think it will dislodge any of the fresh plaster, but plenty loud enough for exciting movie viewing, and fills the space with pleasing sounding music from CDs.

Thanks for all your help,

David.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Somoene asked about the Philips versus the Sony. I was considering the Philips until my research confirmed that you can only enjoy 6.1 sound from it on DVDs. Ie, if you connect your Sky+, it won't be 6.1. For me, that rules out the Philips.

I am considering the Sony, but am worried about the volume issue. Should I be? Also, can anyone recommend a good retailer? John Lewis are selling it for £599, whereas www.cheapelectricals.com are selling it for £359. Has anyone used the latter? Are they reliable etc?

Also, someone mentionned you have to be very careful where you place the bass box on the Sony, otherwise it sounds wrong. Is this the case?!?

Whilst forums are very useful, they can't be annoying too! If I had just read the review in the mag, I would have bought the Sony by now, but now I'm not sure!

Help!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts