Sony DA2400ES replacement unit = same problem!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:WilliamYZFR1:
roger06:No - the BDP output is via HDMI. I thought levels in the player might need adjusting but on trying to adjust it told me it wasn't possible when using HDMI (which is what one would expect...)

Roger, perhaps you were replying to another post?

I was just hoping you might be persuaded to try multi analogue connections instead of HDMI temporarily - just to rule out any Receiver settings and make sure it amplifies the centre channel properly relative to the other channels.

I was going to suggest this, or either try a coaxial cable for the audio - it could be the audio on the hdmi input is faulty.For what it's worth, I set my RS6s and RSLCR to small and they are not small. This way the receiver can govern when the sub kicks in. I have the front three's crossover at 80hz and the Sat rears at 100hz.

cwalduck:
OK i may have missed something, what speakers do you have and how are they connected, do you use the pre-outs to the naim amp? If you do why not try and conect them directly to the Sony re-calibrate an try it connected that way. You may have the naim volume too low or high for the calibration to complete correcty.

Roger - I know the test tone works when played through the centre and I know you don't want to change your hdmi cable but have you tried (just as a test) using a multi-analogue connection between your source and your amp?

In addition have you tried taking your Naim amp out of the equation? Try unplugging it as stated by cwalduck above.

Not suggesting these are permanant solutions but if it suddenly starts working after doing one of them then it may focus the efforts down a more narrow path.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi all

Just a quickie to say a big thanks to all who've given their time to helping me. I may not have responded directly to all suggestions posted, but believe me, I've tried them.

Absolutely nothing I try resolves or even improves the problem so I'm admitting defeat and boxing both units up for return to Amazon.

It'll be hard listinening to the TV speakers as I've had an AV amp since 1996 but I've sold the one this Sony was supposed to replace so will be without one while I give it all a rethink.

Ten years since I bought a new AV amp - I've spent about 18 months trying to decide what would be a good replacement and I end up with this fiasco so am very disappointed.

Thanks again!

A

Anonymous

Well done for sticking with it for so long Roger. I can imagine how frustrated you must be.

Personally I would have a look at other amps. There are a lot of very good £400+ amps out there.

I'll keep an eye out for your next post.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Well how's this for a fitting epilogue...

The other half came in while I had the telly on and, on remarking on the sound, said "Ooh, now THAT sounds better! What have you done?"

To which I replied, "I've boxed up the home cinema amp and the sounds coming out of the telly..."

I think that sums it up really...

Hall is now a waiting area for DHl.

IMG_5180.JPG

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
roger06:
Well how's this for a fitting epilogue...

The other half came in while I had the telly on and, on remarking on the sound, said "Ooh, now THAT sounds better! What have you done?"

To which I replied, "I've boxed up the home cinema amp and the sounds coming out of the telly..."

I think that sums it up really...

Hall is now a waiting area for DHl.

IMG_5180.JPG

Good luck with finding a replacement. For piece of mind, I would take your centre speaker to a shop and try out an amp using your speaker - just to get an idea of how it should sound.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Thanks. Yes good idea.

Apart from the centre issue I was so impressed with the sound that I might actually spend a little more - so will probably audition the new Yamaha RVX 1065 as well.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi all

Well I'm pleased to report this story has a happy ending!

I did indeed have two duff Sony units - hard to believe I know - but true.

Amazon were great and picked them up and gave me a refund.

The replacement, a Yamaha RXV 1065 arrived today and of course, I was dreading the same problem (quiet centre) which would point to a fault elsewhere.

But the Yam was a breeze to set up, I used the auto calibration which seemed far more thorough than the Sony's and hey presto - a great set up out of the box with LOVELY LOUD AND CLEAR dialogue from the centre speaker.

It sounds a little harsh at the mo but I'm sure that's as it has to run it - but I'm really pleased with it. The auto calibration even detected one of my rear speakers was out of phase.

My only complaints in comparison to the Sony are it's quite ugly and the remote is absolutely horrible - really cluttered with small buttons.

A

Anonymous

I'm pleased to hear this too. I opted for a Yamaha myself after a couple of auditions, because for me there's a certain tone to it that just hits the sweet spot perfectly.

A

Anonymous

Excellent news Roger. I've always liked yamaha amps. Give it some to run in and enjoy.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Cheers Dave

Not that I have anything against Yamaha (I've even got one with 600cc and two wheels!) - but I've had an AV amp since '96 and have had nothing but Yammy so was keen to try something else.

Whether or not it sounds better than the Sony 2400ES I don't know - I think I need to play with it more and let it run in of course...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts