Sony BDP-S370 now £99.99 on Amazon!

audiowizard

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Just noticed today that Amazon has price matched the Sony BDP-S370 at £99.99, same as Play.com, seems a cracking deal. Im very tempted to replace my Panasonic DMP-BD30 with this now.

A

Anonymous

audiowizard:Just noticed today that Amazon has price matched the Sony BDP-S370 at £99.99, same as Play.com, seems a cracking deal. Im very tempted to replace my Panasonic DMP-BD30 with this now.

You keep saying you are tempted. What's stopping you?

A

Anonymous

Can someone answer a couple of questions for me on this model:-

1. Is this Blu-Ray player 3D fully compatiable

2. Will this be an upgrade from my PS3 (Fat Model) for watching blu-rays? I have MA RS8's/MA RSFX/MA RS Centre/Onkyo 608 Amp

Thanks

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
No/yes
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Is the s570 out yet? if so what price are we looking at?

audiowizard

May 16, 2010
Visit site
The only thing thats stopping me is paying for a player thats only going to do exactly the same but slightly better. My Panny also cost me well over £200 when I bought it new. I would like to hear from someone that has upgraded from the Panasonic DMP-BD30 to this player.

audiowizard

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Im pretty sure the 370 is not 3D compatible, but the models up from it will be fully compatible via firmware upgrade. It should also be a big improvment over the PS3 in both picture and sound quality, also its supposed to load blu rays quicker than the PS3 and is pretty much silent, if the fan noise bothers you on PS3, hope this helps.

Don't expect a big jump in blu-ray picture quality from your Panasonic BD30.

The reasons for upgrading your Panasonic BD30 to the Sony S370 could be:

1) Sony is a much faster player to load

2) It supports a wider format, like SACD, MKV etc.

3) You can use your iPhone / iPod Touch as a remote

4) You can make it wireless with an optional USB dongle

5) There should be a difference in audio quality if you let your player decode audio

6) The Sony may be a better upscaler than the Panasonic BD30 for DVD playback (this is purely my assumption. I have not seen the BD30)

You can decide if any of these features are important for you.

A

Anonymous

Noticed on Amazon that a 2mtrs HDMI lead comes free with the player (offer up to 11th July)

Any one any idea on the quality of this lead for use with the player?? I think for that offer I`m going order one from Amazon....£99.99 for a 5star rated Bluray player..... Amazing value!!!! (especially now that VAT will be 20% from JAN 2011)

Jotaboy

audiowizard

May 16, 2010
Visit site
By letting the player decode audio I assme you mean sending it via PCM? I have my Panny BD30 currently set to bitstream my hd audio to my STR-DG820 ( I like to see the Tru HD and DTS Master Audio light up) Am I right in saying that PCM would sound better with the new sony s370 sent to my amp, rather than bitstream?

A

Anonymous

An amp will always decode the HD tracks better (bitstream) than the on-board decoding of a blu-ray player (pcm).

audiowizard

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Thats what I always thought, although I tried switching to PCM on my Panny BD30, and I can use the sound enhancers built in to the player, which in fact sounds rather good. So now I cant decide whether PCM or Bitstream is better for hd audio, i can only assume it depends upon the quality of the player and reciever and which one decodes the best.

A

Anonymous

If you remember, WHF did a test on this some time ago for a budget, mid and high-end system and the conclusion was the same each time.

Leave the picture to the blu-ray player and the sound to the amp. Makes sense since that's precisely what these equipment are built for.

audiowizard

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes that makes sense SamsonD, I have always sent bitstream to my amp anyway, it was just something i tried out of curiosity. I think someone mentioned on here that the BDP-S370 would sound better than my Panny BD30 if I let the player do the decoding, thats why I mentioned it.

A

Anonymous

just about to order this online and the price HAS GONE UP TO £119.99 grrrrrrr... (Amazon & Play.com) So it looks like Richer sounds on Saturday... or see if I can do some bartering in the Sony Centre , probably not....

Jotaboy

The easiest way to make your Sony multiregion is by this remote for £12.98 including delivery. Return the remote after you've used for £2.50 refund. Remember that firmware updates may cancel the multiregion capability, & you may have to make it multiregion again. It may not be always the case. My Panasonic BD60 retained its multiregion capability despite going through 2 firmware updates.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts