Sony bdp-s370 How to output bitstream?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I just bought a Sony BDP-s370 and last night I was trying to set it up so that it is outputting bitstream.

The audio output options only seem to be Auto or PCM. Which i assume neither of which are any good for outputting bitstream...

I have a Denon 1910 amp which, as far as i'm aware, should have a blue hd audio light come on when receiving Hd audio via bitstream.

But last night i couldnt get this to come on - so i'm assuming the decoding was still happening on the blu ray player.

Up until now I had a PS3 which couldnt send the audio to my amp for decoding. (or at least not in a format that the denon would recognise as hd audio)

Does anyone know how to set up the Sony BDP-s370 so that it will output bitstream (and i'll see the little blue light finally come on, on my amp:) ) ?

I'm sure I'm being really dumb, but any help would be greatly appreciated...

A

Anonymous

To get the blue light on the Denon you need to go into the BD Audio Mix settings on the Sony 370 and set this to "off".

A

Anonymous

Cheers guys

I think i tried both those settings - but I'll check properly when i get home...

thanks for the help (will let you know if i'm still stuck)

F

FunkyMonkey

heystak:To get the blue light on the Denon you need to go into the BD Audio Mix settings on the Sony 370 and set this to "off".

Yes, I found this solved the same problem I ahd with my 470.

A

Anonymous

Hey,

I tried those settings, but when i play a blu ray i get no sound at all!

When I look in the Denon's menu it says the Surround mode is stereo and the signal is PCM.

When BD Audio Mix is set to On - i get sound, the and the denon reports it's getting multi channel in & PCM.

Do i have to change something else on the Player or on the Amp. Or do i have a duff player?

Once again thanks for the help ....

A

Anonymous

OK - i've made a fair amount of progress on this...

I swapped my hdmi cable on my amp to hdmi1 (even tho Hdmi2 is labelled as HDP) - this immediately gave me the blu light and therefore the bitstream.

However, I've now noticed something else a bit weird.

Now when i swap the disc audio to HD Audio most times the volume is really low and even when i turn the amp volume to max the sound isnt that loud.

If i keep looping the audio track then on some discs the hd audio will eventually flick in at a normal volume.

On other discs (eg Dark Knight) when i swap from English Dolby Digital to Hd Audio the volume is really quiet. However if i select English with subtitles and then flick back to Hd audio the volume is normal.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Am i being really dumb or is there some setting i'm missing ?

F

FunkyMonkey

I woudl definitely try a different HDMI cable and see hwo you get on.

It all seems a bit random to me!?

A

Anonymous

Yeh - it's definitely a strange one.

I tried a different hdmi cable last night - but got the exact same issue.

It seems totally random - when i stick on any blu ray and use the audio button (or the options) to flick onto Hd Audio sometimes it comes on at full volume and sometimes it's really quiet.

Really frustrating - if i could just get this sorted i'd be delighted because when the Hd audio is at normal volume it sounds amazing!!!

Has anyone else seen an issue like this with either the Sony bdp-s370 or the Denon 1910 ?

A

Anonymous

i think you need to do a bit of elimination to try and find where the fault is.

Firstly connect your bluray player direct to your tv and see if you still get the problem with varying volumes.

Secondly, reconnect the bluray player to the Denon amp but use a different hdmi input.

By doing this you should be able to determine whether the fault is with the bluray player, amp / hdmi input.

You mentioned no sound from hdmi1 but some sound from hdmi2 - have you "assigned" the inputs correctly?

Final thought, have you changed any of the Audyessy settings (ie dynamic volume)?

A

Anonymous

Hey,

Yeh - i'd thought about elimination - tho I'm not sure i could connect straight to the TV - i'm only seeing the issue when i send bitstream which i assume a tv wouldnt understand...

So for this - i was thinking the only way would be to test the player with another amp capable of decoding hd audio bitstream. is that right?

I could also try the other hdmi inputs - hdmi2 had not been accepting bitstream, hdmi1 did but had the issue with the random volume level - think it would be worth trying the other inputs to see what i get... will try this tonight...

I had definitely assigned the inputs correctly - dolby digital etc (and hd audio when working) were coming through fine

The Audyessy settings is a good call as well - i may have changed some of these settings when originally setting up the amp (which at the time was with a PS3 fat that couldnt send bitstream) - so i could also have a play with that..

Will try these (hopefully tonight) and report back my findings...

thanks heystak - much appreciated!!

F

FunkyMonkey

Doubt very much this has anything to do with Audyssey. I have seen another discussion a couple of days ago called something like "BDP 370 sound dropout problem". Maybe it's related to that...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts