SONY BDP-S350 & STR-DG820 - still no HD audio

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
This is a continuation of my previous thread -http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/288453.aspx (thanks for the help guys)

However, I still don't get the HD audio signals.

I now have my Sony BluRay BDP-S350 connected to my Sony STR-DG820 Amp via HDMI only (removed the coaxial cable), and did all the tweaks suggested in the previous thead.

However, my amp is now displaying the 'LPCM' detected, and never shows the TrueHD or DTS-HD logos, even though both BluRay and Amp have the logos on it.

I rang Sony Customer services and they said (after a long time on hold) you only get HD audio if you have a 7.1 speaker system attached. Surely this can't be true? I have a KEF 2005.3 system, and canabilised some extra speakers from an old Sony surround sound system...guess what...still no TrueHD or DTS-HD signal. Also, all the BluRays I have clearly say TureHD 5.1 and DTS-HD 5.1...not 7.1. Are Sony 'Customer Services' talking bollocks?

Why the hell won't my Sony BluRay and Sony Amp play the correct Audio? This is driving me mad!!

Is there anyone out there that owns these two products, and is capable of getting the HD audio signals? Someone......please help...

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
doctor_stevil:

However, my amp is now displaying the 'LPCM' detected, and never shows the TrueHD or DTS-HD logos, even though both BluRay and Amp have the logos on it.

LPCM is high definition audio. The marketing brands e.g Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD etc are all packed HD audio. They need unpacking and when they are unpacked (decoded) the 'decoded' digital data is in LPCM form. LPCM isn't a marketing brand it's a method of encoding audio digitally. In your case if you want your amp to show the marketing brand's logos on your display you will need to let the amp decode the packed data. To do this set your player to output the audio in bitstream as Daveh75 advises.

A

Anonymous

These are the Audio Settings on my Sony BDP-3S50:

Audio Output Priority - HDMI

Audio (HDMI) - Auto

BD Audio Settings - Direct

Audio ATT - Off

Dolby Digital - Dolby Digital

DTS - DTS

48kHz/96kHz PCM - 96kHz/24bit

Audio DRC - Auto

Downmix - Dolby Surround

I'm not sure what I need to change, does anyone else have these setting and gets HD Audio?

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
These are definitely the correct settings on the 350.......and you do not need a 7.1 system I have the S550 in a 5.1 system and my amp displays every codec logo as it should.....

Are you selecting the correct audio on the blu-ray discs ?

While a blu-ray is playing press the 'audio' button on the remote it will tell you what the disc is set to....

Access the setting by pressing the 'pop-up menu' button on the remote and set the audio to DTS master or Dolby Tru-HD(whichever the disc has)

I am not familiar with your amp, but I would imagine it should have 'HDMI' on the display somewhere to tell you it is receiving signals via that connection.....

Just to confirm you do have the TV connected to your amp via the HDMI out connector then a further HDMI cable from your blu-ray player to your amp(HDMI in).....?

A

Anonymous

AWESOME - This is now fixed.

Thanks for all your help. Knowing that the BluRay was sorted, and getting the Disc to play the correct Audio really helped. Then I knew it was a setting on the Amp that was incorrect (I'd been changing loads of settings to understand what was going wrong)....and Hey Presto....The TrueHD logo appeared on the amp when I was playing The Dark Knight...and it sounded wicked!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts