Question I Still Don't Understand ARC

RobertR

Nov 27, 2020
Visit site
My AV system only has ordinary HDMI inputs. I still get Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio sound when I play discs on a blu-ray player attached directly to the receiver. I can similarly get surround sound by attaching a Fire Stick to another port. The video is sent to the TV through the HDMI output port on the receiver. Right now I get compressed 5.1 sound from OTA broadcasts through an optical cable from the TV to the receiver. Why wouldn't I get lossless sound by connecting a cable from an eARC port on the TV to another ordinary HDMI port on the receiver? The reason I am interested in buying a TV with eARC is that supposedly someday I will be able to get lossless sound from OTA broadcasts when ATSC 3.0 is adopted by broadcasters in my area. Is it far fetched to assume that will happen in the next 10 years?

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
My AV system only has ordinary HDMI inputs. I still get Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio sound when I play discs on a blu-ray player attached directly to the receiver. I can similarly get surround sound by attaching a Fire Stick to another port. The video is sent to the TV through the HDMI output port on the receiver. Right now I get compressed 5.1 sound from OTA broadcasts through an optical cable from the TV to the receiver. Why wouldn't I get lossless sound by connecting a cable from an eARC port on the TV to another ordinary HDMI port on the receiver? The reason I am interested in buying a TV with eARC is that supposedly someday I will be able to get lossless sound from OTA broadcasts when ATSC 3.0 is adopted by broadcasters in my area. Is it far fetched to assume that will happen in the next 10 years?

Hello sir :)

I really dont know what OTA means . Sorry iam mostly dumb most of the time :D

If you can please describe your setup and how it is all wired, I could be of possibk Ewell

RobertR

Nov 27, 2020
Visit site
Hello sir :)

I really dont know what OTA means . Sorry iam mostly dumb most of the time :D

If you can please describe your setup and how it is all wired, I could be of possibk Ewell
Sure. OTA = Over the Air. I have cut my cable TV and are very happy with what I get with a roof antenna (70 channels). My current TV (50" Samsung rear projection) and AV system are 10 to 12 years old and I am planning to buy a 4K 65" TV when I make up my mind. I think I described how my system is connected above. I could keep the same connections with the new TV but since I want to be future proof, I think I want to use eARC in order that I can enjoy lossless sound when ATSC 3.0 broadcasts with them become available. Then the equipment attached to the AV system would be attached directly to the TV. If commonplace ATSC 3.0 is 10 years off, then I won't bother pursuing eARC and I won't have to buy a new AV receiver to handle the eARC either. I hope I have made clearer what information I am seeking. Thanks in adavance.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts