Sony 40w4500 Dirty Picture Problem

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I am new to posting on here but have read the mag for years and always keep an eye on the forums.

I recently purchased the 40w4500 but am not at all happy with the picture I am getting, basically there seems to be a ghost of broken pixels in front of the main picture, its like your looking through something between the screen and the picture it is especially noticeable on dark backgrounds and with any movement.

I only have standard sky at the moment and have connected it with a cinemax fully screened scart and set sky output to rgb. I am not only getting these problems on sky, I have a Sony DVD recorder connected with a QED component cable and its the same if not a bit worse when watching TV through this, but slightly better with a DVD although edges are not 100% sharp.

I used to notice this something slightly like this on my previous TV a Panasonic 32" crt it always looked like it had a dirty screen and I thought that it had not been cleaned inside properly it when viewing dark backgrounds I put up with it but can't do the same again.

The picture is ok with blu ray through hdmi so I am guessing the problem is not the TV but something to do with sky or aerial connections maybe this is showing up faults not noticed before but I have double checked all connections.

This is my first lcd TV and to be honest I am a bit disappointed at the moment especially after all the great reviews and it looked fine in the shop .

Any suggestions welcome.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi

It just sounds like digital noise/bad signal. I would'nt worry about it, just enjoy your new tv on HD as it was meant to be used with.

If it really gets to you, try playing around with the various noise reduction options your set should have. You probably find you can supress most of it but at cost to detail and perhaps a slightly processed look.

By the way, I'm new to this too but it does'nt sound like anything is wrong with your tv, someone else might have a different opinion.

regards

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
A lot of people seem to be having the same type of problems your having. I'd go back to the shop/retailer you got it from and explain what's happenening. It could be something to do with the signal like the other guy said but i've just heard loads of people ranting how many problems they've had with the things. Hope you sort it out, sony aren't cheap either these days.

A

Anonymous

drummerman:
Hi

It just sounds like digital noise/bad signal. I would'nt worry about it, just enjoy your new tv on HD as it was meant to be used with.

If it really gets to you, try playing around with the various noise reduction options your set should have. You probably find you can supress most of it but at cost to detail and perhaps a slightly processed look.

By the way, I'm new to this too but it does'nt sound like anything is wrong with your tv, someone else might have a different opinion.

regards

Than man wouldnt be posting on here if he wasnt worried lol. It looks as though you have a faulty set, is your HD picture crystal clear? I have the same TV and it doesnt seem to be as bad as what your desctibing when it comes to SD viewing. Although i only use it for Freeview and not sky, try testing the freeview out and see if it makes any difference? Dvds are dependent on which film you are playing as some newer ones like 30 Days of Night look very good on this TV. Can you connect your dvd player using HDMI? If not maybe invest in a upscaling DVD player or a bluray player which will do the same job.

Manufacturers need to realise that not everyone upgrading their TV to a flat panel take into account HD material. Some people do not want to pay extortionate prices for Bluray movies. Manufacturers should concentrate not only on HD picture but also SD picture becuase nothing on the market displays a SD picture like a CRT TV.

I for one still use my CRT TV for watching DVDs and normal TV programmes, the only thing HD TV's are good for are HD movies and HD gaming. Until normal TV is sent through a HD signal people with HD TVs are stuck with a crappy picture.

However, try the things iv suggested and maybe test out some DVDs at the shop on other 40W4500's or if you know anyone who has a HD tv, then you will know if the problem is with your set or not.

A

Anonymous

Nothing wrong with the freeview picture on my old sony or my current panny, in fact id go so far as to say that some channels like CH5 for instance that broadcast SD at a high bitrate can look stunning if your tv is set up properly!!! PS i leave the reon in my onkyo to upscale sd sources as ive found it to be better than the scalers in my tv's!

It might be an idea to try turning any NR filters off as they can couse all sorts of weirdness.

A

Anonymous

Mull, Because you are experiencing the problem to one degree or another across all sources and the fact you had the same problem with your last TV, you may be suffering from mains born interference. A decent mains filter may help or you may have a noisy appliance somewhere, that when disconnected will cure the problem. You could also suffer mains born interference in appt blocks and flats where you have many appliances connected to the mains.

A

Anonymous

Good thinking hdmad! you can get a mains filter for around £30

A

Anonymous

Yeah not bad for a Sunday morning after not a lot of sleep!

Mull, the problem may also be with your Sky digi box or DVD player. Try swapping them with others if you can.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
hdmad:Mull, Because you are experiencing the problem to one degree or another across all sources and the fact you had the same problem with your last TV, you may be suffering from mains born interference. A decent mains filter may help or you may have a noisy appliance somewhere, that when disconnected will cure the problem. You could also suffer mains born interference in appt blocks and flats where you have many appliances connected to the mains.

Hi

If I read it correctly he does'nt have any picture problems when watching HD/BR which leads me to believe its mpeg/digital noise and/or bad freeview reception, perhaps he has not set the tv up properly. I don't think this is a set fault but I might be wrong.

As with regards to mains filters, I use a tacima block with mine. It does'nt seem to make much difference but is peace of mind.

regards

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the suggestion it was one of the routes i was thinking of taking have just ordered a tacima from amazon £24 even if it doesn't work a least bit will eliminate. Think I'm going to have a new aerial fitted see if that makes any difference will let you all know.

A

Anonymous

Yeah good point, although Mull is suffering on DVD playback as well?? I also agree that it may not be the fault of the tv.

A

Anonymous

just a quick update the tacima mains block arrived today and i have fitted it, it has made no noticable improvement. Waiting for new aerial to be fitted this afternoon fingers crossed this will do the trick.

A

Anonymous

Another update the new aerial seems to have sorted the problems picture is now crystal clear as long as the its being broadcast with a quality picture some older programs are still not as good as CRT, but overall i am now happy. Thanks to everyone for their input.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts