Sony 2400ES & Tannoy SFX5.1 ... Richer Sounds

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Guys, reading your expert opinions here has been great.

After considerable research and budget constraints, I am thinking of buying a Sony DA2400ES and the black Tannoy SFX5.1 set of speakers. I have SKY HD, PS3 and intend getting Freesat HD soon. My 40" Samsung (piano shiny black like the tannoys) has only one HDMI socket.

1: What do you guys think of my choice?

2: I have an open sided glass TV rack (similar to the one under the Samsung TV on page 19 of WHAT HI-FI awards issue). The shelves are 200mm each. The higher Onkyo 606 (174mm) is out of the question because of clearance and the fact that it runs very hot. I also dont like the look of it. Will 36mm on top of the Sony be enough clearance given that there are no sides or back?

3: What price should I expect to pay? I have seen them both online on seperate sites totalling £609.

4: I would prefer to collect from a store. I would like to maybe get them from Richer Sounds as most of the reviews I read on them is good. Do Richer Sounds usually do a good discount if buying AMP & Speakers together? Has anyone any experience of doing a deal with them with or without 'SUPERCARE' extended warranty?

Thank you in advance

Boo

A

Anonymous

you can get that receiver cheaper on the net than with richer sounds.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
boopolo:
Hi Guys, reading your expert opinions here has been great.

After considerable research and budget constraints, I am thinking of buying a Sony DA2400ES and the black Tannoy SFX5.1 set of speakers. I have SKY HD, PS3 and intend getting Freesat HD soon. My 40" Samsung (piano shiny black like the tannoys) has only one HDMI socket.

1: What do you guys think of my choice?

2: I have an open sided glass TV rack (similar to the one under the Samsung TV on page 19 of WHAT HI-FI awards issue). The shelves are 200mm each. The higher Onkyo 606 (174mm) is out of the question because of clearance and the fact that it runs very hot. I also dont like the look of it. Will 36mm on top of the Sony be enough clearance given that there are no sides or back?

3: What price should I expect to pay? I have seen them both online on seperate sites totalling £609.

4: I would prefer to collect from a store. I would like to maybe get them from Richer Sounds as most of the reviews I read on them is good. Do Richer Sounds usually do a good discount if buying AMP & Speakers together? Has anyone any experience of doing a deal with them with or without 'SUPERCARE' extended warranty?

Thank you in advance

Boo

That will be plenty of room for your receiver. You can connect your Samsung to the receiver and then your PS3, Freesat HD and Sky HD all to the receiver. I think £609 is pretty good - you won't get them much if any cheaper.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys.

The £609 was based on one online store selling the receiver at £390 and another store selling the speakers at £219.

Have bought several items online for years. But as I said I would prefer to buy from a store this time for these items. Do you think Richer will come close to this price?

Yes Gerard, I would connect the sky HD box to 2400 with HDMI + optical and the ps3 (320GB) with hdmi only. And of course the HDMI out to the tv. I can use the third hdmi for freesat hd and still have a spare one. I would have probably bought the yamaha but it has only two hdmi inputs.

Boo

A

Anonymous

I have emailed them at the Belfast office asking for a quote. I know they say that they will beat anybody elses price if both include a five year extended warranty.

Will let you know how I get on.

Boo

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
boopolo:
I have emailed them at the Belfast office asking for a quote. I know they say that they will beat anybody elses price if both include a five year extended warranty.

Will let you know how I get on.

Boo

Boo, this is a better deal! I had these Jamos and my sister has the Tannoys you are after. The Jamos look better sound better and the sub is twice as powerful. It's won the best under £500 style package for the last two years as well.

A

Anonymous

Yes I was originally interested in the Jamo's.

I don't think that WHF have tested the Tannoys, but I have read other reviews on them, all good. Are you sure your sister had the SFX5.1 and not the EFX5.1 or FX5.1. ?

Boo

A

Anonymous

Gerrard

You have now swayed me back to the Jamo. The problem is that amazon do not deliver electrical goods to Republic of Ireland.

Richer in Belfast (a franshise) say they will beat any price on the receiver as long as the price includes delivery to NI. Play.com deliver free to NI, so I expect the receiver under £400.

I am now faced with where to get the Jamos. Or buy the SFX5.1s.

Boo

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
boopolo:
Gerrard

You have now swayed me back to the Jamo. The problem is that amazon do not deliver electrical goods to Republic of Ireland.

Richer in Belfast (a franshise) say they will beat any price on the receiver as long as the price includes delivery to NI. Play.com deliver free to NI, so I expect the receiver under £400.

I am now faced with where to get the Jamos. Or buy the SFX5.1s.

Boo

I'm sure you will be happy with the Tannoys - if the Jamos are unavailable in Ireland. I'm sure pixmania ship to Ireland. The Jamos are £248 on that site.

A

Anonymous

Yer Right Gerrard

Looked there last week and could find them. Looked again today. Put word Jamo into their search and only got one item, a pair of 406 sterio speakers.

I then decided to search by going down through the menus till I got to speakers. Sure enough the have them there.

Have bought from Pixmania (DSLR, HD vid, TV, mobile phones) several time before but lately they seem to have become expensive.

Now I see why.

I have not been able to get them up using the Irish version of the site. On the uk version it says sold by popcorn.com not pixmania.com.

Feels like there is a conspiracy to stop me buying these speakers.

Boo

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
boopolo:
Yer Right Gerrard

Looked there last week and could find them. Looked again today. Put word Jamo into their search and only got one item, a pair of 406 sterio speakers.

I then decided to search by going down through the menus till I got to speakers. Sure enough the have them there.

Have bought from Pixmania (DSLR, HD vid, TV, mobile phones) several time before but lately they seem to have become expensive.

Now I see why.

I have not been able to get them up using the Irish version of the site. On the uk version it says sold by popcorn.com not pixmania.com.

Feels like there is a conspiracy to stop me buying these speakers.

Boo

Audiovisualonline.co.uk ship to Ireland for £15!! However, they only have silver in stock. They sell black and silver for £209.99 and white ones (great with white walls!) for £214.99.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Gerrard,

That company was one of the ones mentioned on the other thread. I opened this thread cause I felt I was kinda hijacking the other one.

I have a shiny black samsung, and I think the black would be nice. Actually not only that, but my missus insists on black.

Boo

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
boopolo:
Thanks Gerrard,

That company was one of the ones mentioned on the other thread. I opened this thread cause I felt I was kinda hijacking the other one.

I have a shiny black samsung, and I think the black would be nice. Actually not only that, but my missus insists on black.

Boo

I've bought from them lots of times, maybe keep a check or call them to see when they will have more black in stock.

A

Anonymous

Yes I will Gerrard

In any case Richer Sounds came up trumps for me. Ordered the 2400s at £389.95. Will collect in their store on Saturday (has to be brought over from UK).

They did not try to sell me their extended 5-year warranty. But I requested their Supercare at £39 (maybe not for everyone, but I wanted it and they have a sevice centre near me in Dublin)

I must say the sales guys in Richer Sounds are very easy people to deal with.

Now for the Jamos ...................

Boo

A

Anonymous

just thought i let u know ibought tannoy sfx5i three weeks ago along with yamaha dsp-ax763 av amp. very pleased with amp but not so with speakers. replaced the centre and fronts with mordaunt short. 905i and two 902i , it know sounds very good; will be changing the rears as well . but not quite so important. i hope this helps you. nick

A

Anonymous

Thanks Nick

Kinda gone off the Tannoys now. Will take my time, the Jamos or somthing else.

Gerrard

Audiovisual website says they no longer deliver electrical gear to Ireland. They use to. Have contacted them to see what is going on.

Boo

A

Anonymous

Now that I have ordered the DA2400es (yippee) and have bought 2 extra hdmi cables. Has anyone else got these http://ukhdmi.com/hdmi-maestro.php

Regarding the Jamo A102. I am still finding it hard to get any company to deliver to R. of Ireland. You would think that Ireland was 5,000 miles away. Some of the excuses are pathetic. Like we cannot get insurance, too many parcels go missing etc etc. Am willing to pay courier & insurance. I have never had a parcel go missing from UK, or have anyone I know. Anything that is delivered is delivered to cardholders address only.

Does anybody in Belfast or anywhere in Northern Ireland area know where I can buy Jamos besides Harvey Norman?

Does anybody have any experience of www.cd-writer.com ? They have said they will deliver, but it says on their website by money transfer only. Mind you they have not mentioned this in there reply to my email.

One good thing though. Leeds United won last night
emotion-22.gif

Boo

A

Anonymous

boopolo:

Does anybody have any experience of www.cd-writer.com ? They have said they will deliver, but it says on their website by money transfer only. Mind you they have not mentioned this in there reply to my email

Anybody?

Bumb

Boo

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Ive never heard of that site, however it looks sound. Do they accept Paypal as payment? Just seen the logo? If so you should be insured if anything goes t**s up,

I know what you mean about the shipping to Ireland, ive bought loadsa gear and have never lost anything, the only thing ive ever lost in transit was a couple of the lads on the way back from Anfield!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Torres09:
Ive never heard of that site, however it looks sound. Do they accept Paypal as payment? Just seen the logo? If so you should be insured if anything goes t**s up,

I know what you mean about the shipping to Ireland, ive bought loadsa gear and have never lost anything, the only thing ive ever lost in transit was a couple of the lads on the way back from Anfield!

As long as we won that day....

Decent result tonight. A win at Anfield and the group is ours.

Do you think you will be fit for Sunday?

A

Anonymous

Hi guys. This thread is becoming very red
emotion-10.gif

The list price here is ?499 for the Jamo A102 set. They were ?499 in Peats but reduced to ?429 (how nice of them
emotion-39.gif
)

Anyway guys I finally managed to order them here in the south from Harvey Norman in Blanchardstown. They will have them in in a week or two. I have to pay ?319 (£250). Its not too bad I suppose, because when I add in postage and insurance with the others it comes to the same.

Just wait until Leeds United come back to the top flight.

Boo

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Well boo thats not bad a price from Harvey Normal's.....did'nt think they would order gear?........just a word of warning.. dont bring along your missus when you pick them up.......... you'll probably get stung for a new suite and sideboard!!

Dont forget to get some decent speaker cables...................you wont be disappointed with the Jamo's

@Gerrard, not looking like im gonna make it for sunday..but if Keane does what he's payed for we should be ok! did ya see that miss!

XSnPX

May 14, 2008
Visit site
boopolo:
Now that I have ordered the DA2400es (yippee) and have bought 2 extra hdmi cables. Has anyone else got these http://ukhdmi.com/hdmi-maestro.php

Regarding the Jamo A102. I am still finding it hard to get any company to deliver to R. of Ireland. You would think that Ireland was 5,000 miles away. Some of the excuses are pathetic. Like we cannot get insurance, too many parcels go missing etc etc. Am willing to pay courier & insurance. I have never had a parcel go missing from UK, or have anyone I know. Anything that is delivered is delivered to cardholders address only.

Does anybody in Belfast or anywhere in Northern Ireland area know where I can buy Jamos besides Harvey Norman?

Does anybody have any experience of www.cd-writer.com ? They have said they will deliver, but it says on their website by money transfer only. Mind you they have not mentioned this in there reply to my email.

emotion-22.gif

Boo

Hi there,

very interesting thread as i too looking for an amp and speaker set to go with my TV :)

I too bought the same HDMIs as you - great value - i compared them to the QED HDMI-P - and have not noticed anything form visual to sound.. so well worth the money - and as for HDMI debate goes - i still have not seen a good reason to buy £35-50+ HDMI cables..

Ben

XSnPX

May 14, 2008
Visit site
boopolo:

emotion-22.gif

Boo

Hi there,

very interesting thread as i too looking for an amp and speaker set to go with my TV :)

I too bought the same HDMIs as you - great value - i compared them to the QED HDMI-P - and have not noticed anything form visual to sound.. so well worth the money - and as for HDMI debate goes - i still have not seen a good reason to buy £35-50+ HDMI cables..

Ben

A

Anonymous

XSnPX:

Hi there,

Ben

Hi Ben

I am sure there is a difference between medium (low-medium) priced ones like the maestro, and say audioquest hdmi-x or QED. But I doubt the ordinary Joe Soap would notice the difference, especially when only using 1m cables.

Sure, WHIFI is able to test the expensive ones in great detail and conclude that they do perform better. But in my case, I am not going to pay £100 for an audioquest-x or £40 for a Qed, when I can get a maestro for a fraction of that.

I would like to see WHIFI testing some of the £10 - £30 cables available. They test budget AV receivers at the £250 mark.

Boo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts