Sony 2400ES Amp and a problem

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All

Last night I was watching SKY (not HD) all well and good, have the optical lead conencted into the back of the amp (in the SAT designated slot). Woke up this morning turned on the AMP, turned on SKY and no sound.....have tried changing the optical leads for a different set but to no avail. The optical lead for the TV to the AMP is working as I can get sound out this weay.

Any thoughts? Do SKY boxes have an issue after years of "abuse" that the digital out stops working?

Cheeers

Kev

A

Anonymous

Don't think I know how to do that
emotion-10.gif
...but the kids may have done......how do I check this out?

When I looked on the GUI menu it said that SAT was assigned to SAT opt..which I thought was correct?

Andy Grange

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
I think there's a button on the remote for input mode, not sure if this affects just audio or video, or both together though. If you press it make sure it's not on analog, I accidently managed to set my dvd player to analog so it's easily done.

A

Anonymous

I,m not sure if your remote for the receiver is the same as the 1200ES but you could press the AFD button.

Another sugestion would be to unplug the Sky box at the mains for a min or two, then plug it back in.
Had the same problem once and that worked.
Be patient though, can take some time for the sky box to come back on.

A

Anonymous

Andy Grange:AFD only alters the type of sound you're getting (i.e. stereo, virtual surround) AFAIK

Yep that's correct, but if he has it set on Analogue direct or multi channel by mistake by pressing the AFD the receiver will switch to the digital input. That was the idea.

Just thought, worth checking if the input assign is correct.

A

Anonymous

OK after a bit of investigating last night. On the 2400ES display, it says OPT as the inpiut method for the SAT.

My TV receiver is plugged into my AMP with the Optical cable and that works (both in the TV OPT socket and the SAT opt socket). This I think rules out the AMP as the problem.

SKY is connected to my TV with a Scart lead and it is this sound that is transmitted to the AMP via the TV, so there is sound through the scart socket just not the optical cable.

Strangely there is power going to the optical lead as the red light at the end of the optical cable is on, it's just that no matter which input socket i plug it into, I get no sound.

So it looks like I may ahve to convince the wife that an ew bos is in order, and as we are getting a new box a HD box would be good

A

Anonymous

kevj76:
OK after a bit of investigating last night. On the 2400ES display, it says OPT as the inpiut method for the SAT.

My TV receiver is plugged into my AMP with the Optical cable and that works (both in the TV OPT socket and the SAT opt socket). This I think rules out the AMP as the problem.

SKY is connected to my TV with a Scart lead and it is this sound that is transmitted to the AMP via the TV, so there is sound through the scart socket just not the optical cable.

Strangely there is power going to the optical lead as the red light at the end of the optical cable is on, it's just that no matter which input socket i plug it into, I get no sound.

So it looks like I may ahve to convince the wife that an ew bos is in order, and as we are getting a new box a HD box would be good

Ahh! ok. So you was getting audio from Sky via the TV, input to the tv using a scart.
Sounds like you have the basic model of sky not the sky +, otherwise you could connect the optical out straight from the sky+ box to the amp input.
As you are using a scart then effectively you are just getting stereo anyway. I would personally bypass the TV for sky audio and use the stereo phono outputs to connect to the amp.
But as it was working ok before then I would say it's the TV settings that's the problem or scart lead.IMO.

Regarding the red light at the end of the optical cable suggests that the TV transmitter is fine.
Just be sure not to shine it directly in your eye.

A

Anonymous

Del Smith:kevj76:

Ahh! ok. So you was getting audio from Sky via the TV, input to the tv using a scart. Sounds like you have the basic model of sky not the sky +, otherwise you could connect the optical out straight from the sky+ box to the amp input. As you are using a scart then effectively you are just getting stereo anyway. I would personally bypass the TV for sky audio and use the stereo phono outputs to connect to the amp. But as it was working ok before then I would say it's the TV settings that's the problem or scart lead.IMO. Regarding the red light at the end of the optical cable suggests that the TV transmitter is fine. Just be sure not to shine it directly in your eye.

No, no no, sorry i was misleading you there. SKY is connected to the TV via Scart, TV is connected to AMP via optical, hence can listen to SKY through the AMP on the TV setting (does that make sense?). I am not listening to SKY through the TV, and it is SKY+

Also have SKY optical connected directly to the AMP, but no audio output when select SAT channel on AMP.

So I know it's not the AMP as I ahve tested the SAT input with the optical from the TV and that works.

As for the redlight, that is coming from the SKY+ box but nothing is being heard from the AMP irrespective of the input I choose (be it TV, DVD or SAT)

A

Anonymous

It does seem like the sky box has failed.
Did you try switching it off?
You could just try in the sky services, system setup, sound settings to see if the volume has been set to zero.
Only other options there is optical output Dolby d or normal but I don't think this is it.

New box?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts