Sony 2400 Speaker Hiss

lordguffington

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
I've just got my SECOND Sony 2400ES Receiver from Play (1st had faulty HDMI out) and now after only a fortnight I'm noticing major Hiss on all inputs through the front two speakers (and through all speakers on Video 1 and 2) when there is nothing playing....from -14db all the way up. I'm finding it incredibly annoying and I'm sure this has only wasn't happening when I first set it up...

I've checked the connections, all speaker cables etc are not rouching each other...and with everything except the speakers pugged in hiss continues.

Do I have ANOTHER faulty reciever here or is there something I'm doing wrong

I'd really appreciate some help on this

Ta

A

Anonymous

If you switch the TV off does it still hiss?

and also switch the dvd player off and check if it still hisses..

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
lordguffington:and with everything except the speakers pugged in hiss continues.
I find it totally baffling that you're getting hiss from the front left and right speakers when they're not plugged in.

Are you sure the hiss is coming from those speakers and not the subwoofer?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:lordguffington:and with everything except the speakers pugged in hiss continues.
I find it totally baffling that you're getting hiss from the front left and right speakers when they're not plugged in.

Are you sure the hiss is coming from those speakers and not the subwoofer?

Do you have a missing pet snake??

lordguffington

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
what I meant was that with all players etc unplugged with only the speakers remaining, there is still hiss from the speakers when the receiver is switched on: on all channels.

A

Anonymous

Just tried mine. Paused a sky movie. Turned the volume all the way up. The speakers are completely dead (as they should be) as there is no imput.

But if you put it on say BD with PS3 not connected, there is a slight hiss on very loud volume. Didn't notice this before. It is the same when I turn on PS3, but even with silent bits in a Chopins Piano CD I do not hear it at medium to high volume

Boo

A

Anonymous

I have done some more tests.

If you select and device button that is assigned as HDMI input (or auto) this happens. With the device turned off, paused or not even connected. Put my ear to the speaker whilst increasing the volume. When the volume goes over -10 or so I hear a slight click followed by an increasing hiss. The hiss is noticable from my seated position at very high volumes. I cannot tell if the hiss is there during playback because i need to turn it up so high, i am afraid i will blow my ear.

This does not occur if the ouput I am sellecting is assigned an optical sound input.

Can somebody else with a 2400es try this out before I contact customer service.

Boo

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
boopolo:
I have done some more tests.

If you select and device button that is assigned as HDMI input (or auto) this happens. With the device turned off, paused or not even connected. Put my ear to the speaker whilst increasing the volume. When the volume goes over -10 or so I hear a slight click followed by an increasing hiss. The hiss is noticable from my seated position at very high volumes. I cannot tell if the hiss is there during playback because i need to turn it up so high, i am afraid i will blow my ear.

This does not occur if the ouput I am sellecting is assigned an optical sound input.

Can somebody else with a 2400es try this out before I contact customer service.

Boo

Why bother when you didn't notice a problem before and you only notice it when turning it right up and with your ear to the speaker??

A

Anonymous

Well Gerrard,

I firstly need to know if this is normal. Can you try this with your receiver please?

Boo

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
boopolo:
Well Gerrard,

I firstly need to know if this is normal. Can you try this with your receiver please?

Boo

If I get the time - it's difficult for me to turn it up too much as I have kids. My point is that if you only get a problem when you do something (turn it up really high and put your ear to the speaker!) that ordinarily you won't be doing, and that you hadn't noticed it before, is it really a problem? Also, your speakers are not meant to be whacked up by a 100wpc amp to ear bleeding volume. I would say the OP has a dodgy Sky box and your amp and speakers are fine.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:boopolo:

Well Gerrard,

Boo

If I get the time - it's difficult for me to turn it up too much as I have kids. My point is that if you only get a problem when you do something (turn it up really high and put your ear to the speaker!) that ordinarily you won't be doing, and that you hadn't noticed it before, is it really a problem? Also, your speakers are not meant to be whacked up by a 100wpc amp to ear bleeding volume. I would say the OP has a dodgy Sky box and your amp and speakers are fine.You dont need to input anything. If you select BD (or any input set to HDMI sound (analog)). Turn off the BD player or pause a movie/cd. Then turn up the volume.

Boo

A

Anonymous

Did you ever resolve this problem? I have bought the sony (oct 09) and also have hissy speakers, when listening to multi channel sound through the coaxial input. This problem happens at about -20db which isn't that high on a movie, very high on music of course. You hear it on quiet passages and when you pause the dvd. Switch to 2 channel & it goes away. Tried changing to the cd coaxial input but the problem persists, changed to a different cable & dvd player! Please help

A

Anonymous

To continue this thread on my own.....it seems like like the hissy speaker problem is not very wide spread, hope i have a 'one off' duff one. I will return this amp and get a replacement. I pray it doesn't have the same defect as i am very happy with the sound of both music and movies.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
I had two duff 2400ESs - neither would output enough volume on the centre channel. Wasn't going to risk a third so went with Yamaha instead...

Does it seem like the build quality on the Sony 2400 is questionable ??

A

Anonymous

I would agree! Been having a good look online and the hissy speaker problem is not a new one. Many different models have suffered from this annoying glitch over the years! What is it with sony these days, with back light problems on its lcd tvs and the many reported faults on its amps. The 'Alba' or 'Goldstar' brands were never this bad!

A

Anonymous

I had an onkyo 876 which had speaker hiss just like you described .I found that if you turned off the auddessey it dissapeared.It came in at about -15 on the vol ,I googled onkyo speaker hiss and found out a cure.Inever use the audessey now anyway .I now have a Denon 3310 it may be that I am unfortunate but this has it as well,so I just leave audessey off .It seems to be an audessey set up thing.Anybody else have same prob.Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

Got another 2400 from a different company and it has the same speaker hiss problem, if you turn down the speaker levels it lessens the hiss. After it auto calibrates the hiss is 'major'! How could Sony release an amp with this flaw...? I guess it will have to go back..Oh joy!!

TRENDING THREADS