Sony 200 Hz LCD TV advertised

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just the other day I spotted a Sony commercial (perhaps on BBC World News) for a 200 Hz LCD television. No details given, just an image and the 200 Hz flash to the left of the screen: Do you have any further news?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Rheingold, the new KDL-Z's are in the shops now.

I've been looking around for the last 2 months or so at quality 46-50" panels. Today was decision time but I thought I wanted to look at the new Z range in more detail before coming to a conclusion, having seen a KDL-40Z4500 being unpacked and turned on for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

The sales assistant kindly changed from the garish shop mode setting (unwatchable, especially the colours and contrast) to everything neutral and processing minimal. Things got better with the typical Sony fine detail on BlueRay and Sky HD (1080i). Colours where still not entirely natural to my eyes and that continued even when changing colour settings gradually. Black levels where also wanting though probably as good as they get apart from some 9series Samsungs I've seen.

The real problem started when watching normal definition tv on sky. Almost unwatchable with blocking, washed out colour and way to soft for my taste. Also there where artefacts which made the experience almost annoying. I know thats not entirely the TV's fault but I've seen much better in form of Pioneer's Kuro PDP5090.

So I went back to the Pioneer Dealer, had one look at the 5090, which was set up in 'normal' mode. Astonishing on everything from BR to SD Sky pictures. There is no comparison in my opinion. I placed the order immediately and should get the set delivered next week.

I appreciate the Kuro is more expensive but its 50" and I got it for 2.4k including speakers/stand and 5 year manufacturers warranty etc (from a local dealer that was happy to do it that price without me having to haggle like mad!). The 46" Sony KDL-Z is around £1.8k. Add the missing inches and the price difference is'nt actually that great, especially not for something that I have to look at for the next 3 or 4 years.

Perhaps I'm biased towards Plasma but there are just certain things about current lcd's that I dont like and I know that would be increasingly the case if I had to live with it long term. - I am no expert in HT or tv's but I'd suggest you look also at Panasonics plasmas if you have'nt done so already. Not quite in the KURO bracket though I'd personally would go for one of those over the new sony's. Just my opinion.

A

Anonymous

Good choice drummerman I would still say that Lcd have certainly improved with processing etc but they still cant match the overall picture quality of a plasma. I have the Pioneer PDPLX5090 and nothing Sony has produced up to now will ever match the Kuro,forget the Sony with the 200Hz Z series, go for Plasma.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Thanks. I've truly never seen a picture like it, never. The only thing I was slightly worried about was some comments on 'screen buzz' ie. transformer/electrics noise but having planted my not minute ears next to the two sets I've seen I could'nt detect anything more than what some powerful amplifiers (CA 840C) or other FlatPanels emit. Certainly nothing audible from a meter or beyond. I hope this will be the same with mine.

A

Anonymous

Hi there drummerman, I have no audible noise from my 5090 at all,there were a few threads concerned with a noisy fan, but my tv is whisper quiet

A

Anonymous

The problem I had with the Pioneer 5090 was the terrible screen flicker. No matter what settings I changed, nor whether I routed the HDMI directly to the TV or through my Pioneer amp, the screen flicker was very noticable. The only way the set was bearable to watch was if I was standing about 4.5-5 metres away, which rather defeated the object of a 50in TV! So all-in-all, the 5090 was no way worth £2.4k when compared to my 3.5 year old Sony 40w2000 which has a rock solid picture if noticably less black blacks. It's going back to the shop next week.

And talking of the 40w2000, does anyone know whether chopping it in for a new 40w4500 would show any improvement in the black levels?

A

Anonymous

I heard about the new 200hz sony and im looking forward to the review but im not sure if theres any benefit in the 200hz i thought that the vast majority of humans can only see a refresh of approximately 72hz so will this actually do anything for us!? I could be completely wrong but i was sure this was the case.ÿ

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Ronster1975:
The problem I had with the Pioneer 5090 was the terrible screen flicker. No matter what settings I changed, nor whether I routed the HDMI directly to the TV or through my Pioneer amp, the screen flicker was very noticable. The only way the set was bearable to watch was if I was standing about 4.5-5 metres away, which rather defeated the object of a 50in TV! So all-in-all, the 5090 was no way worth £2.4k when compared to my 3.5 year old Sony 40w2000 which has a rock solid picture if noticably less black blacks. It's going back to the shop next week.

And talking of the 40w2000, does anyone know whether chopping it in for a new 40w4500 would show any improvement in the black levels?

I did'nt notice any flicker but then I saw them in shops. Perhaps you meant plasma buzzing/flashing which I heard some people are more susceptible to. But that seems to afflict all plasmas to some extend of what I've heard.

Was'nt screen flicker something that affected non-100hz CRT'vs? I thought even modern LCD's are more prone to that then plasmas because of the back lighting.

TRENDING THREADS