Sonur Fabus - Naim Nait 5i combo

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

I wonder if any of you have any idea as to whether the Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M's would partner nicely with Naim Nait 5i? Does the Naim have the power needed for the Sonus Faber's?

It would be interesting to know what amp the Sonus Faber's were tested with in their recent What Hi Fi review.

A

Anonymous

Yes, it should be a good partnership. No, power wouldn't be a problem.

A

Anonymous

The Naim should be just fine and the sound should be wonderful...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Never heard the Auditor but the Nait is not an especially powerful amplifier. Matches well with small speakers with good tight bass and smooth tweeter. If the Sonus Faber are a difficult bass load or under-damped in that area, or if they benefit from a detailed amplifier you may have to look at the supernait if you want to stick with Naim.

A

Anonymous

It's a good point, but Sonus Faber aren't a difficult bass load, and the Nait is just fine with them, at least to my ears. The only problem is volume - I came home late last night and put on some Nirvana (yes, I had had a glass or two of wine) and was distressed to hear on the second track that the drumming seemed to have lost its rhythm. I was just about to turn the volume up to test my discovery when I realised it was the neighbours banging on the wall... SFs go loud without you noticing....

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I had the Sonus Faber for a while and let me tell you my friend They love lots of power! Of course they will sound good even with 20 watts tubes amp but you will not found out what they can do at their best!

I end up driven my pair with Krell 400Xi and they were a match made in heaven, just my 2 pence worth.

A

Anonymous

a) You're not my friend.

b) You're wrong. I do agree that the better the rest of the system, the better they sound, and that is perhaps what you mistake for "loving power." I tried them on a 100w Denon AV amp (awful) followed by a 70w (I think) Nad which was better. My 50w Electrocompaniet just sounded superb.

A

Anonymous

well just about any speakers will sound awful (comparatively speaking) if you drive them with an AV amp (regardless of the power)! i wouldnt be so quick to dismiss Thaiman's views - and especially so rudely. He is one of the most knowledgeable and nicest guys here on the forum.

davo

Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
I heard similar Sonus Fabers on the end of a Supernait and they sounded good. I understand all Sonus Fabers are developed with Sonus Faber's own 50W amp, so bulk power is apparently not essential.

A

Anonymous

Yes, I agree totally, and was going to add that it wasn't the Denon amp, it was expecting a budget A/V amp to drive high-end speakers adequately that was the problem - my mistake entirely.

Accept your comments about Thaiman, but that doesn't mean he's right in this instance. If I was too blunt, then I apologise unreservedly.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Taksinridgeback:

a) You're not my friend.

b) You're wrong. I do agree that the better the rest of the system, the better they sound, and that is perhaps what you mistake for "loving power." I tried them on a 100w Denon AV amp (awful) followed by a 70w (I think) Nad which was better. My 50w Electrocompaniet just sounded superb.

I wasn't talking to you, just advise the original poster. That ******* attitude is suck anyway!

A

Anonymous

Sorry to see that, thaiman, so let me

a) withdraw my unreserved apology

b) suggest a few more of you listen to your ears and not the stuff you read in forums like this and hifi magazines

c) say goodbye to Hughes123 in particular

d) Get out of your way

Ciao

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Taksinridgeback:

b) suggest a few more of you listen to your ears and not the stuff you read in forums like this and hifi magazines

d) Get out of your way

Ciao

B) Er...are you having a laugh?! I am trying hard to stop buying anymore hifi.

C) I am sure he will be very sad!

D) up to you, it doesn't bother me what you do anyway!

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Dont bother with him Thaiman, I for one definataly value your opinion. You and Drummerman have helped me with my last two set ups and both times i was really happy before the old upgrade urge kicked in!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Taksinridgeback:

d) Get out of your way

Ciao

Harsh post mate (and no, I'm not your mate, it's a figure of speech).
Hughes123 isn't even in this thread, and you are slagging him off indirectly.
He is funny sometimes, but then he is 15.

On the point... I imagine both you AND Thaiman are correct. The speakers don't NEED the extra power, but perform even better with it.
And your first (mistaken) response, was crass. (And I know crass as I can be guilty myself occaisionally)

Not having a go (as such), but we all have our opinions, and all are valid. Thaiman has been around the block MANY times with equipment, and is the last person I would imagine reading ANYTHING into magazine reviews.

Anyway. I hope you don't take this the wrong way. I would say the same thing face to face and then order a beer... M'kay.

A

Anonymous

I do not post often, only when I have real world experience about the topic, but I read whenever I can. I hate to see harsh statements that discourage people from posting and reading.

Thaiman's advice is usually spot on and based on his own experience, which in my opinion is what really counts. My experiences are sometimes very similar to his.

I can confirm that I have heard Sonus Fabers with few different sources and amplifiers, and it sounded best with Krells (400xi being the smallest) and BATs (VK-40/VK-250 combination). These speakers produced good sound with low powered electronics, but really shined with 150wpc+ high current amplification.

Best regards from the Middle East, Abu Dhabi.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Thx.

read between the lines and all you guys are saying is I am a mad box swapper that can't get no saitisfaction with any HiFi equipments longer than few weeks!

that sound about right!
emotion-10.gif

A

Anonymous

Thaiman:
I had the Sonus Faber for a while and let me tell you my friend They love lots of power! Of course they will sound good even with 20 watts tubes amp but you will not found out what they can do at their best!

I end up driven my pair with Krell 400Xi and they were a match made in heaven, just my 2 pence worth.

Hi Thaiman
Have you tried Sonus fabers with Leema tucana or Plinius? If so where they a good match.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
No...sorry can't help with that one.

Plinius should be a very good match though as it has a very very similar house sound to Krell.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts