Sonos vs Airport Express

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
To my mind, the Squeezebox isn't portable at all, it's just small. Controlling it is very much a job for your iPhone or Android (iPeng is very nice).

So why give it a touchscreen? Or a screen at all, given it's generally going to be sat on a rack a mile away from the seating position?

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
John Duncan said:
To my mind, the Squeezebox isn't portable at all, it's just small. Controlling it is very much a job for your iPhone or Android (iPeng is very nice).

So why give it a touchscreen? Or a screen at all, given it's generally going to be sat on a rack a mile away from the seating position?

That is mental.

John Duncan

The_Lhc said:
John Duncan said:

Because it makes people go "ooooo" when you show it to them?

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Because it makes people go "ooooo" when you show it to them?

Do they make a version without the screen - surely that would slash the price? Then it's just controlled on ipad/iphone/android etc.

John Duncan

They used to, the Duet. But I'm fairly sure that you needed the expensive controller to set one up (though you could then add extra zones for AEX money).

Can still get them:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0012K6VIW/?tag=googhydr-21&hvadid=4640233400&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4440970481787573054&hvpone=229.99&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_7kzdhjul1s_e

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
OK, that looks quite interesting - initially not much cheaper than a Sonos Connect, but you get what looks like a really nice remote. Plus, from that point onwards it's £99 to add a receiver. Presumably its functionality is much like the Sonos?

Only concern would be lack of support if they have stopped making it, but that's pretty small beer I reckon.

Do you know if the Squeezebox Controller app would work with this?

Why have they stopped making this, and why didn't it take off more (or did it)?

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Looks like you can get it to run Spotify too...

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?79706-Announce-Spotify-Premium-Plugin-%28Beta%29

markbbailey

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I'm a big fan of the Squeezebox Touch for the very reason that it has a touchscreen. Sometimes, particularly if you've got a multi-room install, you just want to be able to walk up to it and press a button to turn the radio on or knock the volume down a bit. You can also glance over and see what's playing at an instant. If you've always got to locate your phone and load up the relevant app etc it tends to irritate after a while. It's OK in a listening room but if you've got one playing background music in the kitchen, for example, a simple fixed screen device does make life a lot easier.

Cheers, Mark

markbbailey

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
The Squeezebox Controller App works with all Squeezeboxes going back to the original device.

The problem you'll have with the Receiver units is getting hold of them. You might find a few kicking around on Ebay.

In general they all work very well and you can happily mix all of the different Sbox devices together.

If this helps; I'm a custom installer and have just done a multi-room install with 8 Squeezebox Touch's and 2 receivers. All controlled either via iPads, iPhones, the IR remote or directly on the screen. Customer very happy in a way that he definitely wouldn't be mucking about with AEXs. The Spotify app is excellent too and a big selling point for Sonos and Squeezebox solutions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts