SONOS questions

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Gents,

A friend asked me to help him to put together a multiroom music system for his house. I have a bit of a clue but not entirely confident and could definately do with some help myself! Don't want to let my friend down...

He does not have any real existing hifi, only an ipod dock, so use of existing gear is not an option. His music is currently on CDs but I undestand they listen mostly from ipod via dock and from computer using itunes. they will want to pipe music to 3/4 rooms and maybe the terrace.

So, I was thinking a sonos based solution as follows:

- Study (also used as the host location) - either their computer or NAS to host music + Sonos S5. control from computer.

- Kitchen - S5+controller (controller fo cause can travel to other roms)

- Lounge - either S5 or ZP120+speakers if they prefer sound to compactness. control from ipod or controller. Same for any other rooms.

- Terrace - ZP120+ wired throug the wall to outdoor speakers. control from ipid or controller.

if wireless is unstable (it is a big house) I am thinking homeplugs (installation of normal wired network is not an option).

So, some questions:

- will sonos play itunes palylists?

- is basing the solution on sonos the only option? how will a similar setup look based on another ssytem?

- any suggestions for outdoor speakers?

- there is also an outbuilding abt 80m away used as a study. I think it has internet access but not sure how. What are the options to connect this zone?

- any other comments/advice?

- best source to buy? Amazon?

- what NAS can you recommend?

- I undesrstadn sonos makes its own wireless network. So at which point and how does the sonos connect tot he rest ofthe network? wirelss or wired or either of the two? to computer or via a router?

rs6mra

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I ordered my Sonos system on the 31st and still awaiting delivery. Cheapest found was BestBuy and no one else could beat it. Sonosnet is indeed a different network that connects to the existing broadband router via ethernet and tends to have a stronger signal. Therefore the study which would host the NAS & presumably currently has the router can have the S5 connected there (wired) and this will then 'talk' with the other Sonos units. (Assuming also that the study you initially mentioned is different to that 80m from the house)

Existing users will do doubt soon be along to get you some detailed advice.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Quite right, one of the zones has to be connected to the router. Sonos does create its own mesh network, but I'm not sure of the range. I've thought about adding a "garden" zone by going through the kitchen wall too, but the neighbours may not be so keen.

I use a fairly cheap NAS, a bufallo linkstation and that does the job for me. You don't need any additional software on the NAS so it's pretty much all available for music.

I'm not sure on the iTunes question TBH.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
rs6mra:

Hi, I ordered my Sonos system on the 31st and still awaiting delivery. Cheapest found was BestBuy and no one else could beat it. Sonosnet is indeed a different network that connects to the existing broadband router via ethernet and tends to have a stronger signal. Therefore the study which would host the NAS & presumably currently has the router can have the S5 connected there (wired) and this will then 'talk' with the other Sonos units. (Assuming also that the study you initially mentioned is different to that 80m from the house)

Existing users will do doubt soon be along to get you some detailed advice.

Thanks! useful info. yes, I assume the router is an existing one. Yes, the 80m study is an additional one.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Lee H:

Quite right, one of the zones has to be connected to the router. Sonos does create its own mesh network, but I'm not sure of the range. I've thought about adding a "garden" zone by going through the kitchen wall too, but the neighbours may not be so keen.

I use a fairly cheap NAS, a bufallo linkstation and that does the job for me. You don't need any additional software on the NAS so it's pretty much all available for music.

I'm not sure on the iTunes question TBH.

Thanks, sueful info, too.

Any experienced users can help on the other questions? Would appreciate.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
AlmaataKZ:
Gents,

A friend asked me to help him to put together a multiroom music system for his house. I have a bit of a clue but not entirely confident and could definately do with some help myself! Don't want to let my friend down...

He does not have any real existing hifi, only an ipod dock, so use of existing gear is not an option. His music is currently on CDs but I undestand they listen mostly from ipod via dock and from computer using itunes. they will want to pipe music to 3/4 rooms and maybe the terrace.

So, I was thinking a sonos based solution as follows:

- Study (also used as the host location) - either their computer or NAS to host music + Sonos S5. control from computer.

- Kitchen - S5+controller (controller fo cause can travel to other roms)

- Lounge - either S5 or ZP120+speakers if they prefer sound to compactness. control from ipod or controller. Same for any other rooms.

- Terrace - ZP120+ wired throug the wall to outdoor speakers. control from ipid or controller.

if wireless is unstable (it is a big house) I am thinking homeplugs (installation of normal wired network is not an option).

So, some questions:

- will sonos play itunes palylists?

I think you can import them.

- best source to buy? Amazon?

Wherever's cheapest, there isn't much in it usually.

I undesrstadn sonos makes its own wireless network. So at which point and how does the sonos connect tot he rest ofthe network? wirelss or wired or either of the two? to computer or via a router?

One Sonos Zoneplayer MUST be wired to the router, hopefully this is in one of the rooms they want a player in, this Zoneplayer then creates the wireless Sonosnet network for the other players and controllers to connect to. Oh, Sonos recommend the storage (whether PC or NAS) be wired to the router as well.

what NAS can you recommend?

Pretty much any, Sonos doesn't require any bespoke software to be running on its source storage.

- there is also an outbuilding abt 80m away used as a study. I think it has internet access but not sure how. What are the options to connect this zone?

You'd need to find out how the outbuilding is connected to the internet really. If it's a standard spur off of their home network you could just wire a zoneplayer to the network there and it'll work perfectly.

is basing the solution on sonos the only option? how will a similar setup look based on another ssytem?

The trouble with other systems is that they'll be using the home wireless network directly, so if the large house has big areas of wireless blackout then everything will need to be wired, which will depend on the how well the homeplugs work (I couldn't use them in my house as it has two entirely seperate electrical circuits). As long as the Sonos ZPs are placed around the house the mesh network should work ok, depends how thick the walls are though, old stone walls are a real issue for any wireless network.

This will also affect any non-Sonos controller (ie iPad/Phone/Pod) as they will be using the house wireless, not the Sonos wireless, so if you're out of range of the router you've got no controller. A Sonos controller will work anywhere it can reach a Zoneplayer and it'll work for any Zone.

any other comments/advice?

Sonos now do a Wireless iPod dock, the WD100, which might be of use, it's only £99 and can be used as a source and will help extend the mesh network (it can't be wired to the network though), there's also Zonebridges which you could use to plug gaps, I think they're £79 and can provide a wired connection, very useful for older, larger properties.

A basic layout diagram would be useful, especially if you can indicate where the wireless network's range reaches to.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
thanks a lot, the_ihc! Very helpful! Appreciated!

Hmmmm, importing playlists.... so definately not directly supported? i.e. visible on sonos controller once created in itumes?

importing would mean re-importing on every ipdate?... no other option liek auto-synch or smth?

A

Anonymous

Absolutely no help everwhatsoever sorry, but will watch this thread with interest because I'm thinking of going down the Sonos route for 2-3 rooms.

I on the other hand am a complete noobie with this technology so apologies everyone could you please reply in terms of 'Sonos for Dummies'

Thanks in advance

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
the_lhc:

A basic layout diagram would be useful, especially if you can indicate where the wireless network's range reaches to.

Can't promise a diagram but I plan to speak to the guy later this week to discuss the 'desing' with him so, assuming he knows, will get info on how the outbuilding is connected, how the wifi is performing, any preferences etc.

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Just something to pick up on the one device needs to be wired to your router comments.

Technically it just needs to be wired into your network. For most people this will probably be your router. In my setup a zone player is wired to my managed gigabit switch into which the router is also wired and this works perfectly well.

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
AlmaataKZ:

Hmmmm, importing playlists.... so definately not directly supported? i.e. visible on sonos controller once created in itumes?

importing would mean re-importing on every ipdate?... no other option liek auto-synch or smth?

You can schedule Sonos to do an automatic scan of your playlists/music each day. If using Itunes the Sonos software needs access to the location of your Itunes library XML file. This isn't necessarily the same place as you store your music. You can also kick off a rescan manually

Noticed that you are also proposing to use an ipod as a controller. If so you need to check that normal WiFi works in the same locations. Ipods will use your normal Wifi not Sonosnet

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
AlmaataKZ:

I have my Sonos set to re-synch with the music library on my NAS every night so that it can always see any new music I've put on. I guess it would update your iTunes playlists in the same way. You can of course create sonos playlists and it will let you use iTunes DJ.

Hope that helps

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
cram:
Just something to pick up on the one device needs to be wired to your router comments.

Technically it just needs to be wired into your network. For most people this will probably be your router. In my setup a zone player is wired to my managed gigabit switch into which the router is also wired and this works perfectly well.

This is true, that's how mine is setup as well, I wasn't sure if there was any value talking about switches as well at this stage though, so I didn't mention it.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Oh, did your friend mention a budget? Because you're already looking at 1700-1800 quids worth at the moment. You could buy a dual S5 bundle and get a zonebridge thrown in for nothing which might save a little money and could make positioning the Zoneplayers a little easier if there are any blackspots in the mesh coverage.

A

Anonymous

I didn't have enough sockets on my router so I connected my NAS to a zone bridge which is then connected to the router. I have had no problems with this, either using the NAS as a music server for the Sonos or as a network drive for the PC.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
the_lhc:Oh, did your friend mention a budget? Because you're already looking at 1700-1800 quids worth at the moment. You could buy a dual S5 bundle and get a zonebridge thrown in for nothing which might save a little money and could make positioning the Zoneplayers a little easier if there are any blackspots in the mesh coverage.

yes, I noticed there are bundels offered, but until I know how many zones he wants I cannot otimize for that. Budget still to be discussed but I think it will not matter. A tidy, reliable, intuitive system is what is required. Good point re bridge. I guess it will be a case of trying with minimum setup, adding bridges if not good or switching to ethernet over power as the last resort.

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
NSYGrinner:

I didn't have enough sockets on my router so I connected my NAS to a zone bridge which is then connected to the router. I have had no problems with this, either using the NAS as a music server for the Sonos or as a network drive for the PC.

Yes it works but you are probably slowing down access to the NAS for your PC (assuming you have a 100mps router). I've read on the sonos forums a cap of circa 36mps which unless you get into streaming video should be ok.

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
the_lhc:This is true, that's how mine is setup as well, I wasn't sure if there was any value talking about switches as well at this stage though, so I didn't mention it.

The reason I pointed it out is that I know someone who was convinced that it had to be plugged directly into the router even though they had a perfectly serviceable switch located in a more convenient place.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
AlmaataKZ:
the_lhc:Oh, did your friend mention a budget? Because you're already looking at 1700-1800 quids worth at the moment. You could buy a dual S5 bundle and get a zonebridge thrown in for nothing which might save a little money and could make positioning the Zoneplayers a little easier if there are any blackspots in the mesh coverage.

yes, I noticed there are bundels offered, but until I know how many zones he wants I cannot otimize for that. Budget still to be discussed but I think it will not matter. A tidy, reliable, intuitive system is what is required. Good point re bridge. I guess it will be a case of trying with minimum setup, adding bridges if not good or switching to ethernet over power as the last resort.

The only bundles officially available now are the S5 bundles which is either one S5 and bridge or 2 S5s and a bridge. You should be able to find a few BU250 bundles around, possibly at a reduced price, which has the ZP90, ZP120 and a CR200 controller in it but you'd better be quick, they won't be around forever.

A

Anonymous

cram:NSYGrinner:

Yes it works but you are probably slowing down access to the NAS for your PC (assuming you have a 100mps router). I've read on the sonos forums a cap of circa 36mps which unless you get into streaming video should be ok.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering how come it took around 2-3 minutes to transfer an album from my pc to the nas. I have a wireless connection to the router, then hardwired to the nas as stated before. I might try disconecting the BD player from the router and use that port for the nas.

When I first set up the Sonos I did find that I couldn't get the BD player (Sony bdp350) to connect to bd-live when going through the port on the zp120. Only connected directly to the router. Maybe the 'cap' has something to do with it.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
When I first started the long tedious ripping process I plugged my NAS directly in to the PC via USB. It did seem much quicker

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
NSYGrinner:When I first set up the Sonos I did find that I couldn't get the BD player (Sony bdp350) to connect to bd-live when going through the port on the zp120. Only connected directly to the router. Maybe the 'cap' has something to do with it.

Be surprised if the speed of the connection was causing that issue. More importantly I'm amazed that you've found anything on bd-live that is worth looking at.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Lee H:When I first started the long tedious ripping process I plugged my NAS directly in to the PC via USB. It did seem much quicker

That's what I did for my existing lossless files that I had. I only a couple of hundred albums at lossless. I'ts a bit a of a hassle to keep plugging/unplugging a cable though. At the moment I'm ripping to an external drive then embedding artwork and messing with the tags before copying across to the nas. I just do the transfer whilst messing about with the next cd. I seem to have got a bit of a system going. Still a long way to go. I should have it done by Summer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts