Control wired ceiling speaker / CXA60 / Brennon JB7 system through phone

Enz

Dec 23, 2020
Visit site
I'll shortly be moving to a new house which has multiple wired ceiling speakers across 7 rooms wired to a Cambridge CXA60 amp in one room with a few other boxes including a Brennon JB7 (picture attached). CD player and ipod dock in cupboard by the amp and other boxes. All must be 5/6 years old now, current owners installed amp but never use and don't understand it (which clearly I don't either!).

Have been asked if I want to offer for the amp, however I know that if I can't control music from my phone to play in any room, from whichever room I'm in, I'll never use it (currently I have a couple of Sonos speakers I'm bringing with me from my small flat).

Would love to get the ceiling speakers working but only if I can do through phone from anywhere in house. Question - should I buy the amp (+how much should I offer for it) and is there a way I can control from my phone... or should I decline their offer and start from scratch (and is there a set-up that's possible)?

Complete noob in this btw, I'm impressed I can work a Sonos system - technical language will not be understood (as you can no doubt tell from my question)!

Attachments

• Set-up.jpg
    Set-up.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Gray

I'll shortly be moving to a new house which has multiple wired ceiling speakers across 7 rooms wired to a Cambridge CXA60 amp in one room with a few other boxes including a Brennon JB7 (picture attached). CD player and ipod dock in cupboard by the amp and other boxes. All must be 5/6 years old now, current owners installed amp but never use and don't understand it (which clearly I don't either!).

Have been asked if I want to offer for the amp, however I know that if I can't control music from my phone to play in any room, from whichever room I'm in, I'll never use it (currently I have a couple of Sonos speakers I'm bringing with me from my small flat).

Would love to get the ceiling speakers working but only if I can do through phone from anywhere in house. Question - should I buy the amp (+how much should I offer for it) and is there a way I can control from my phone... or should I decline their offer and start from scratch (and is there a set-up that's possible)?

Complete noob in this btw, I'm impressed I can work a Sonos system - technical language will not be understood (as you can no doubt tell from my question)!
I could be wrong, but I'd guess that the speakers have been wired together, with just a single feed from the cupboard. Which would mean the same sound to all of them.
Maybe read up on the Brennan and Cambridge, see if you could make any use of them - because, if they don't need them, you might get them for a good price.
Otherwise, tell them to leave the cupboard bare - and investigate your (free) ceiling speakers at your leisure, whilst meantime using your Sonos.

Reactions: Enz

Enz

Dec 23, 2020
Visit site
I could be wrong, but I'd guess that the speakers have been wired together, with just a single feed from the cupboard. Which would mean the same sound to all of them.
Maybe read up on the Brennan and Cambridge, see if you could make any use of them - because, if they don't need them, you might get them for a good price.
Otherwise, tell them to leave the cupboard bare - and investigate your (free) ceiling speakers at your leisure, whilst meantime using your Sonos.
Thanks for the suggestions Gray (your final one may well be where I end up). You can definitely play music in a given room though, all controlled by the boxes in the cupboard. I’ll be able to see the equipment again early Jan but only 2 days before the move so not much time to figure it all out.

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts