Sonos not connecting!

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
My new play5 arrived today and it isn't connecting. It works in the hallway but won't stretch to the kitchen. I have two other Sonos zones, BTW.

I can get WiFi reception right beside the Sonos on a nexus and a HTC. I know the Sonos uses its own network, tho. I've tried channels 1, 6 and 11 to no avail.

Will something like this help if I connect the new play5 over Ethernet? http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_7?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wifi%20extender&sprefix=WiFi+ex%2Caps%2C242&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Awifi%20extender&sepatfbtf=true&tc=1404251723408&ajr=sabc or is there another option?

Thanks

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
Where are your other zones?

this kind of problem is probably best aired on the Sonos forum, lots of help there with assessing signal strength and stuff. Sonos support are also really helpful.

i solved a connection problem by relocating my Bridge. Do you use a Bridge?

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
visionary said:
Where are your other zones?

this kind of problem is probably best aired on the Sonos forum, lots of help there with assessing signal strength and stuff. Sonos support are also really helpful.

i solved a connection problem by relocating my Bridge. Do you use a Bridge?

It's a normal victorian terrace. The other zones are living room (Zp90 connected to AVR - this starts the mesh, I don't own a zonebridge) and upstairs in the front bedroom I have a ZP120.

The new Play 5 is meant to sit on a shelf at the back of the kitchen. It will work when sitting on the worktop (about 3m closer to the hub), but not on the shelf where it's meant to go.

My options, as I see, are:

1. move the Play5 to another location - not ideal as it will then sit on a worktop and be in the way constantly.

2. Get a power line ethernet thingy and then use a hard-line ethernet connection.

3. drill a hole in the woodenfloor where the router is, drop an Ethernet cable into the cellar, run it along the cellar and then buy a zonebridge to connect and locate it in the cellar near the cellar door (right outside the kitchen).

Option 2 seems the best option as it will perhaps give me a better wifi signal in the bedroom over the kitchen (which is the only semi-dead spot in the house). WiFi normally extends happily through the kitchen and out to the garden, so slighly disappointed that Sonos doesn't offer a similar range.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
As well as checking the channels do you have your router's wireless set to wideband300Mb/sTurbo mode or anything like that? Those settings will hog the entire frequency spectrum, so it becomes irrelevant what channel you have everything set to. Ideally it needs to be throttled back to 54Mb/s if possible.

On point 3) The zonebridge wouldn't need to be wired back to the router in order to extend the network to the kitchen. I have two zonebridges and neither are wired (I use a ZP90 as my wired device, same as you do). Check that router wireless setting first though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts