Better than Benchmark

marou

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Ken Rockwell speaks his mind:

Holy cow; I tested a Beyerdynamic A200p DAC and headphone amp at the same time I had the iPhone 6 Plus in my audio lab, and the iPhone 6 Plus beat it![/i] The iPhone 6 Plus has less distortion, flatter frequency response and much better ability to drive low-impedance headphones with low distortion than the dedicated portable amp!

While all iOS devices have always sounded great if you have good transfers, the audio output of the iPhone 6 Plus is now so improved that it sounds and measures about as well as professional reference DACs like the Benchmark DAC1 HDR, and better than many consumer DACs.

The iPhone 6 Plus even has flatter response than the Benchmark DAC1 HDR! Of course an iPhone and a plug-in-the-wall professional DAC are intended for entirely different pupposes, but if the 1 volt RMS output (6 dB less than good outboard DACs and CD players) and 3.5mm jack do it for you, there's no reason not to use the iPhone's output for critical listening.

The iPhone 6 is a better analog audio source than many audiophile products, but the cottage industry created around selling you DACs and other accessories you don't need doesn't want you to know. Remember that accessory dealers, manufacturers and publications that accept advertising from these makers have a vested interest in trying to create FUD about the iPhone's audio quality. Don't beleive them and listen for yourself.

Apple has more smart engineers and far more resources than any other audio specialty company. It makes perfect sense that the iPhone output should be spectacular.

No longer do you need to waste money on DACs and headphone amplifiers, at least for most portable (low-impedance) headphones. Save your money and spend it on more music instead.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
It's all academic if the distortion on the Bayerdynamic and other DAC's is beyond human hearing. The last sentnce is a bit bonkers too since many better headphones are higher impedance. An iPhone isn't going to run HD600/650/800 or any other high impedance headphones as well as a dedicated amp that is designed for these and has sufficient output.

He talks about fud and then indulges in a fair bit of fud himself. Fud.

K

keeper of the quays

I have banged on bout my ipod touch 4 dac..feel justified a bit..cant afford iphone 6..ipod touch 4 will do for me...try this? Tune in radio thru non apple tablet then tune in radio thru ipod or phone..night and day..good dac..

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
he's a mediocre photographer and very good reviewer.. I like when someone demystify one small part of the world.. keep going ken !

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
He lost me at "It's like having a supercomputer and HDTV in your pocket" and his raving about the onboard camera's movie abilities.

Mind you, he does know how to attract clicks: after all, that piece is 15 months old, and people are still 'discovering' it for the first time

K

keeper of the quays

lpv said:
he's a mediocre photographer and very good reviewer.. I like when someone demystify one small part of the world.. keep going ken !
+1

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Martin Grindrod the electronics designer at AVI has tested one of the newer iPhones and an Apple AirPort Express and found that the output has ultra low levels of distortion. Lower than most proper hifi equipment and certainly well below what would be audible.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Martin Grindrod the electronics designer at AVI has tested one of the newer iPhones and an Apple AirPort Express and found that the output has ultra low levels of distortion. Lower than most proper hifi equipment and certainly well below what would be audible.

Thus leaving lots more money to spend on speakerettes? ;-)

K

keeper of the quays

I agree re ipod, iphone for 'critical listening' but they havent managed their giant slaying ability on headphones?

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't believe him. This is like the cable debate, some people swaer by cables while others say their snake oil. I bet he just loves his Iphone to much and so wants what he said to be true but I'm not buying it. The auidophile industry is told all the time that they are just getting gulible people to part with their money so nothing new said by him. I bet all those people who brought the Chord Electronics high end dac the Hugo TT going are not going to agree with him are they. Sounds to me like he just wants to attack auidophiles.

Are Apples own Earphones better than my 200 quid Sony ones Ken? Was spending 200 quid when I could of just spent 25 quid on earphones another auidophile industry tirick Ken I'll stick to my Chord Electronics Mojo dac Ken.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Yup, all the apple luver's are about ... .

Whilst I am far from being a fan of the brand, one must not forget what it did for predominatly but not exclusively the younger generation to get them to listen to reasonably quality music with its 'pods' and early generation iphones. This arguably spurned on the avalanche of many of todays products and not just apple's.

Luckily, there are now alternatives, many not 'better' per se but usually cheaper.

Still, if you buy into the apple machine, I guess it makes sense to go the whole hog ... at a price.

TrevC

MrReaper182 said:
I don't believe him. This is like the cable debate, some people swaer by cables while others say their snake oil. I bet he just loves his Iphone to much and so wants what he said to be true but I'm not buying it. The auidophile industry is told all the time that they are just getting gulible people to part with their money so nothing new said by him. I bet all those people who brought the Chord Electronics high end dac the Hugo TT going are not going to agree with him are they. Sounds to me like he just wants to attack auidophiles.

Are Apples own Earphones better than my 200 quid Sony ones Ken? Was spending 200 quid when I could of just spent 25 quid on earphones another auidophile industry tirick Ken I'll stick to my Chord Electronics Mojo dac Ken.

Silly strawman fluff stuff. Dear dear.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
HTC phones had got one of the highest volts output. Especially HTC M8 & M9. Give them Good pair of headphones & they perform very well. Apples 1 volt. HTC 1.28. I know so cause I got the M8 & bought for this reason. You can play music at a reasonable high volume before distortion sets in. Which model or brand sounds better is a matter of opinion.

K

keeper of the quays

Beats headphones are not highly regarded? Made by apple? So not all apple stuff is brilliant..i have a suspicion that it will only go downhill..profit always wins over quality..

Phileas

May 5, 2012
Visit site
keeper of the quays said:
Beats headphones are not highly regarded? Made by apple? So not all apple stuff is brilliant..i have a suspicion that it will only go downhill..profit always wins over quality..

If you're referring to the iPhone, the audio output is hardly likely to get worse - there's no cost saving available.

K

keeper of the quays

Phileas said:

If you're referring to the iPhone, the audio output is hardly likely to get worse - there's no cost saving available.
all I can talk about is my own iPod..(touch 4) I did a experiment this morning..i used iPod as source..streamed hd music from YouTube..put through my sonic impact amp..i used my dynaudio 42s..sound was very good..(I thought bit sibilant) I then used my main kit speakers..ae1mk3s. to be honest..it equalled my main kit..i used something between iPod and amp to raise the output! How can the audio output be so bad? IPod was as good as any source I own..(sonic impact effect!) I'm having to revise my views on source..i used to think vinyl then cd/tuner..now? IPod is equal? Maybe better? Come and have a listen.. my uber cheap sonic impact and cheapish iPod touch 4 using qed silver anniversary cables..(I admit I used my flash speakers) sounds as good as it gets..unbelievable? I would of said yes..until my experiment today.

Phileas

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I think perhaps you misunderstood me. I was suggesting there's no need to fear that market pressures would have a negative impact on future iPhone audio quality as there's no significant cost saving to be had in that direction.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site

So where is the evidence of a strong correlation between not-for-profit/charitable audio manufacturers and higher quality?

K

keeper of the quays

chebby said:

So where is the evidence of a strong correlation between not-for-profit/charitable audio manufacturers and higher quality?
I don't understand the question..

K

keeper of the quays

Phileas said:
I think perhaps you misunderstood me. I was suggesting there's no need to fear that market pressures would have a negative impact on future iPhone audio quality as there's no significant cost saving to be had in that direction.
I wasn't quite sure what you meant, thanks for the clarification..

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Guess I'm just a gelible audiophile for not jumping on the Apple bangwagon then, silly me. When I up grade my Cord Electronics Mojo it will have to be to the Iphone and not the Hugo TT which I had planed to do because Ken's right, Ken must not be questioned. How dare I question Ken.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts