Better than Benchmark

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
K

keeper of the quays

steve_1979 said:
I own a Sony NWZ-A847 MP3 player. Once it's been level matched and has all of the DSP settings switched off it sounds identical to the two hifi DACs that I own.
I have a nwz a15..good machines..

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
keeper of the quays said:
steve_1979 said:
I own a Sony NWZ-A847 MP3 player. Once it's been level matched and has all of the DSP settings switched off it sounds identical to the two hifi DACs that I own.

A few years ago the NWZ-A847 was Sony's top of the range model costing close to £500. I picked mine up of eBay for about £100 though.

It often gets used as the source in my hifi system. I have a PC which is the 'proper' main source but I often don't want to use the computer or wait 60 seconds for it to boot up so it's easier just to use the Sony MP3 player as it sounds identical. I have a 3.5mm to RCA cable permanently plugged into my Yamaha pre-amp just for this purpose. It also saves a bit of electricity compared to the PC.

When I move house I'll probably setup a second system in the kitchen using a pair of DM5 active speakers and permanently use the Sony MP3 player as a source without any other hifi equipment in the chain at all.

K

keeper of the quays

steve_1979 said:
steve_1979 said:
I own a Sony NWZ-A847 MP3 player. Once it's been level matched and has all of the DSP settings switched off it sounds identical to the two hifi DACs that I own.

A few years ago the NWZ-A847 was Sony's top of the range model costing close to £500. I picked mine up of eBay for about £100 though.

It often gets used as the source in my hifi system. I have a PC which is the 'proper' main source but I often don't want to use the computer or wait 60 seconds for it to boot up so it's easier just to use the Sony MP3 player as it sounds identical. I have a 3.5mm to RCA cable permanently plugged into my Yamaha pre-amp just for this purpose. It also saves a bit of electricity compared to the PC.

When I move house I'll probably setup a second system in the kitchen using a pair of DM5 active speakers and permanently use the Sony MP3 player as a source without any other hifi equipment in the chain at all.
the tuner is ok too..mp3 plus radio..battery lasts forever! In my kit it's as good as anything else..not the loudest! It's brilliant with my builders ear defenders (akg550) did you want to up the output and make it the best source ever? Three dimensional, so much air it floats, lol...

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
did you want to up the output and make it the best source ever? Three dimensional, so much air it floats, lol...

No need with the DM5's. The volume control on the Sony works just fine to cover the range of levels that I will be listening at.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
It's always great to read something like that. We had discussions of those kind on the pro forums (gearslutz and audiofanzine f. ex). Some of our colleagues where discussing the slightly good quality of the DAC and ADC of today and lots of us are sharing the opinion that a majority of the available stuff is simply great and that you can work with. So, a lot of money is not to spend.

Although, I must attest that the older MAC DAC's (for example on their mac minis), where really well made, and we where able to work seriously with them in the past.

#theLHCwillnotreadthis

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
spiny norman said:
chebby said:
So where is the evidence of a strong correlation between not-for-profit/charitable audio manufacturers and higher quality?

Here, usually.

Please can you give a warning when linking to that site please? I usually trust your links and so I forgot to hover the cursor before clicking. It's my fault but I would appreciate the courtesy.

Thanks.

K

keeper of the quays

steve_1979 said:
did you want to up the output and make it the best source ever? Three dimensional, so much air it floats, lol...

No need with the DM5's. The volume control on the Sony works just fine to cover the range of levels that I will be listening at.
Those are the active speakers? My mates quad esl are active too..they need to be plugged in..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts