Sonos Connect ZP90

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I see Connects won't be supported with updates after May 2020..?
I really like mine through my Arcam Dac and would be happy to keep it indefinitely.
Sonos are a bit vague about functionality after May but hint that keeping obsolete kit might affect my other Sonos on the same network. I wonder how long they will support my other Sonos items.

scene

I see Connects won't be supported with updates after May 2020..?
I really like mine through my Arcam Dac and would be happy to keep it indefinitely.
Sonos are a bit vague about functionality after May but hint that keeping obsolete kit might affect my other Sonos on the same network. I wonder how long they will support my other Sonos items.
Yes, I've got the same problem (4x zp5 and 3x connect). I'm not very happy about the situation and the vague information from Sonos

Last edited:

scene

I have around £1k invested in Sonos all in. I'm glad I've gone down the Bluesound route in my other set ups but who's to say same will happen with them?
I think this is a mistake by Sonos. They have a loyal user base who have been their best advertisement, recommending their devices to others. I can understand that there comes a point when old hardware ceases receiving updates, and it's something phone manufacturers do quite cynically after 4-5 years. But this isn't a smart phone. We expect our HiFi kit to last longer. And if they are going to stop updates, I'd prefer if they said;"We're not going to give the speakers any new feature updates from May2020, but will fix bugs and security issues until December 2022 and guarantee they'll work with all your other Sonos devices until May 2024"

This smacks of, "to hard to bother testing the updates on old speakers and we want to drive existing users to upgrade by forced obsolescence."

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Same issue here. Have a sonos connect that I got 4-5 years ago. The email suggests if I keep using the connect the 3 play 1s I have will also not receive software updates. So at some point I will have to stop using the connect to be able to continue using the other speakers. Not a good outcome for a 300 plus product.

The real kicker was the fact the offered me 30% off the port to replace it... Let me think, not happening and I wont be buying anymore sonos products.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Play 1's will be next I reckon. Also, I have a 2nd gen Play 5 that cost me £500 which is a not insignificant outlay & I now wonder what the plan is on these, I bought mine in good faith plonked it on a stand in the kitchen and expected it to be there as long as I was, now I'm not so sure.

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Play 1's will be next I reckon. Also, I have a 2nd gen Play 5 that cost me £500 which is a not insignificant outlay & I now wonder what the plan is on these, I bought mine in good faith plonked it on a stand in the kitchen and expected it to be there as long as I was, now I'm not so sure.

Yeah I agree the announcement seems to have also included a change to a 5 year support model as well. Play 1s are 5-6 years old now.

scene

Yeah I agree the announcement seems to have also included a change to a 5 year support model as well. Play 1s are 5-6 years old now.
I agree, the clock is ticking as they no longer make the Play:1 - its direct successor being the Play One SL.
- Though, thinking about it, the Play:3 stopped being produced in August 2018 - so might go the same way as the Connects and old Play:5s in 2023.
- And when was the Play:1 dropped? Was it when the Play One SL came out (Sep 2019), or earlier - it's not really clear...

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
All my Sonos kit, apart from a Play 3, is affected by this.
I suspect the Play 3 and original Play 1 will be next, along with the Soundbar and other AV oriented products.

There’s a big message here.
Don’t buy Sonos products, unless you only want them to work for 5 years and are prepared to throw them away after that.

Reactions: insider9

scene

Just to clarify; Sonos never said its products will stop working after 5 years.....you won't get any new features via updates. If you're happy with your current features, you can continue using it.
As per post on the other thread:
Agreed - until Spotify, Deezer, etc. change something in their infrastructure which means that your Sonos needs an update - then it will stop working. Which is the risk, as there have been a number of these changes over the years.

Also any in-support devices won't get updated. So for the sake of accuracy:
1. You will stop getting updates from May - this won't stop your devices working (but see 2), but you won't get any new features after this date
2. If one of the connected apps - e.g. Spotify, Deezer, Tune-in,etc. change anything to the way you connect/stream from their services that requires an update to the Sonos app/device, you won't get it and this service could stop working - which is an unquantifiable risk.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
.....i actually started the process to deactivate my Connect but when it came to the crunch thought that investing in more Sonos just wasn't such an attractive proposition anymore.
And for that reason I'm out

Heystak

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Just to clarify; Sonos never said its products will stop working after 5 years.....you won't get any new features via updates. If you're happy with your current features, you can continue using it.
Unless you have legacy and non legacy equipment in the same setup. I use a connect to stream vinyl to 2 x play 1's. This is likely not to work following the next software update from May20.

scene

Unless you have legacy and non legacy equipment in the same setup. I use a connect to stream vinyl to 2 x play 1's. This is likely not to work following the next software update from May20.
Sonos has said they're working on a fix to sort this.
Actually - as things stand, you won't receive any updates post May - as the Connect is "legacy" - so this functionality won't stop working.

"While legacy Sonos products won’t get new software features, we pledge to keep them updated with bug fixes and security patches for as long as possible. If we run into something core to the experience that can’t be addressed, we’ll work to offer an alternative solution and let you know about any changes you’ll see in your experience.
Secondly, we heard you on the issue of legacy products and modern products not being able to coexist in your home. We are working on a way to split your system so that modern products work together and get the latest features, while legacy products work together and remain in their current state. We’re finalizing details on this plan and will share more in the coming weeks."

scene

"While legacy Sonos products won’t get new software features, we pledge to keep them updated with bug fixes and security patches for as long as possible. If we run into something core to the experience that can’t be addressed, we’ll work to offer an alternative solution and let you know about any changes you’ll see in your experience.
Secondly, we heard you on the issue of legacy products and modern products not being able to coexist in your home. We are working on a way to split your system so that modern products work together and get the latest features, while legacy products work together and remain in their current state. We’re finalizing details on this plan and will share more in the coming weeks."

Agreed, I was mainly highlighting they won't just stop working. (I made the point VERY badly - having re-read my post, sorry.)

Heystak

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Actually - as things stand, you won't receive any updates post May - as the Connect is "legacy" - so this functionality won't stop working.
Im still not convinced.
Im still not convinced.
The Play 1s will get updates but the connect wont. Therefore they will have different versions of software and so wont talk to each other.
The way I understand it is legacy equipment will work with other legacy kit but not in the same system as non legacy. So you could have one room with ALL legacy kit working fine and another with non legacy but you wont be able to group them together or combines legacy and non legacy in the same room.
I hope I'm wrong.

scene

I’d not thought of that Heystak - good point.
Agreed.

As it stands, there'll be no updates to any device on your network from May, if you have a legacy device. Once Sonos split the network, Heystak is right, you'll get updates to the Play:1, but not to the Connect - which might make them incompatible. But it's potentially worse than that from the get go. If the solution is to split the network, then you may (effectively) be running two separate Sonos networks - so no interaction between them. Unless Sonos let you decide not to split them (and not get any updates) which would leave you as now...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts