Something Solid Speaker Stands???

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
So then, these don't appear to be reviewed anywhere but my localish dealer highly recommends them with Neat Motive 3's. They are made to measure by account.

Has anyone got these who can offer opinions?
http://www.hificorner.co.uk/hi-fi-brands/something-solid.html

I need to swap my new Rega DAC (power button is stuck on :O ) and I should be getting loan of these stands to try at home so will report findings.

A

Anonymous

The stands have a following amongst Harbeth users but I haven't heard them. Also I've seen photos of a pair that were put together in a really shoddy manner but I'm informed thats not typical. Google search is the best cousre of action.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Spectre said:
The stands have a following amongst Harbeth users but I haven't heard them. Also I've seen photos of a pair that were put together in a really shoddy manner but I'm informed thats not typical. Google search is the best cousre of action.

Thanks for your comments Spectre, will be an interesting one when I get to demo!

Some google comments rate them very highly. Shame no one seems to have personal experience here.

Ambrose

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
I have. I used to have my Harbeth P3ESR's on a pair of Something Solid XF stands. They are indeed made to order so the pair you audition may well not be perfect from a height (the important bit) or base plate point of view. The design philosophy of low mass low energy storage fits completely with Harbeths's thin wall build but they also work very well under designs that traditionally end up using high mass designs i.e Audio Note.

My PMC's are about to be shown the door - I'm going back to Harbeth again - and I'll certainly be getting another pair of these made to plonk them on.

If you haven't already found them via Google, check out the Signals and Deco Audio websites which have lots of info on them.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Bodfish said:
I have. I used to have my Harbeth P3ESR's on a pair of Something Solid XF stands. They are indeed made to order so the pair you audition may well not be perfect from a height (the important bit) or base plate point of view. The design philosophy of low mass low energy storage fits completely with Harbeths's thin wall build but they also work very well under designs that traditionally end up using high mass designs i.e Audio Note.

My PMC's are about to be shown the door - I'm going back to Harbeth again - and I'll certainly be getting another pair of these made to plonk them on.

If you haven't already found them via Google, check out the Signals and Deco Audio websites which have lots of info on them.

Thanks Bodfish. Thats some recommendation for the Harbeth's.
It is Signals as it happens that recommended the stands and have said I could borrow a pair.
Great service / advice at Signals btw :)
I'll check out the Deco Audio also
Cheers
Ambrose

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
I've got a pair as well, under my Harbeth Compact 7/2's. They sound good, very good indeed, although whether other more conventional stands would be worse/same/better I don't know, as the stands came with the speakers when I bought them used.

The one thing I will say it that they look, well, quirky. That's the polite version; I'm not keen on the looks at all, and nor are my (non-hi-fi) friends. Obviously you can make your mind up on that yourself though; some like them.

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
Bodfish said:

Ooh. Why are you changing back?

Well, I never really wanted to get rid of my P3ESR's and while the Fact's are great speakers I confess I've become more and more unconvinced by them over the longer term (for example, bass down to 28 Hz my eye... at -16db down perhaps...). Oddly (especially when you consider the price differential) I just can't shake the feeling that the P3ESR's are actually the better speaker.

So now I have the space (new flat down in that London), I'm 'going large' with a set of Super HL5's next month.

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
philipjohnwright said:
The one thing I will say it that they look, well, quirky. That's the polite version; I'm not keen on the looks at all, and nor are my (non-hi-fi) friends. Obviously you can make your mind up on that yourself though; some like them.

That is true, they are marmite stands. Personally I really like the way they look.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
philipjohnwright said:
I've got a pair as well, under my Harbeth Compact 7/2's. They sound good, very good indeed, although whether other more conventional stands would be worse/same/better I don't know, as the stands came with the speakers when I bought them used.

Yes, they are not conventional looking.

To be honest, I have a toddler so I either have speakers on sideboard or during evening / when house empty (rarely) bring stands into lounge and setup speakers properly for listening. Doesn't take too long to do thankfully and I get to have some proper listening enjoyment a couple of times a week.

Yes, Hi Fi is important to me :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts