Amp and speaker dilemma - keep new Onkyo 808 or get something else?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, apologies in advance for long post - I’m putting together a half-decent AV system forthe living room (5’x13’) and as well as reasonable AV surround performancewould ideally like something that copes musically to a degree as well –something with SQ that’s listenable, mainly with FLAC through a Logitech Touch.I know the limitations in stereo of even good AV amps so am totally realistic -it doesn’t have to work miracles, just be enjoyable and usable with music as well as surround.

Thing is, I’ve been bought as a gift an Onkyo TX-NR808 as a combined surpriseChristmas / birthday present (big 4-0) just on the What Hi-Fi recommendation /5 stars. It’s a fantastic present (and of course I’m hugely grateful!) but it's still in the box (no speakers yet) and while I know the Onkyo is a great amp and well reviewed I was wondering if it’s the best option for me or not. Thus:

1) Howdoes the Onkyo cope with stereo music (even in it’s pure direct / straight mode)– is it acceptable / enjoyable?

2) ShouldI audition other amps in the £850-1K ish region (Yamaha 2067 or 3067 springs tomind)? Would a 2067 (or 3067) have *significantly* better SQ in stereo?

3) ShouldI go through the effort of selling the Onkyo (as new) now or trying to swap myOnkyo with original retailer to get / upgrade to something else? Is it worth itor should I just enjoy the Onkyo now and possibly look at upgrading sometime inthe future if needed?

4) AssumingI keep the Onkyo, I was thinking of the B&W 685 Theatre speaker set to gowith it – would this be a decent combination? I was also wondering about theKEF 300 5.1 or the Monitor Audio RX1 AV12 – I know these are a fair bit pricierthan the 685 set but would they be a better fit / much better performance?

5) TheOnkyo is still in the box because it won’t fit in my current TV stand (theOnkyo is gigantic!) so I need to buy a new AV rack – I’ve seen a rack that has adjustable shelves and will give it about 5cmto 10cm of clear air on top for ventilation – is this enough?

Sorry about all the questions – I know the bestanswer is to go to a hi-fi dealer and audition kit as much as possiblemyself, and that’s certainly something I’m planning to do in the very nearfuture, but I’m keen to get as much solid info / advice before I do. Manythanks in advance.

Paul.

Its a bit relative really. What are you used to listing too? I've got an 805 and my Dad has the 808, both sound good with music. The 1/3 rule seems to apply, they are about as good as a £300 stereo amp.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Paul, that's very reassuring re Onkyo stereo sound quality - to be honest it doesn't have to be astonishing SQ, just listenable and enjoyable. Due to young kids I've been in a bit of no-man's land with kit for the last few years (have a Panny 42" G20 and Onkyo 808 still in its box until I can sort out a big enough AV rack but no speakers yet) but my last stereo amp (which I've still got) was a NAD 370 with Mission floorstanding speakers (speakers now gone). Hopefully the Onkyo will sound somewhere in the same ball park in stereo given the 1/3 rule and a good surround speaker set. Speaking of which, do you think the B&W 685 Theatre set would go well with the Onkyo - or maybe the new KEF Q300 5.1?

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
noddycat:
Speaking of which, do you think the B&W 685 Theatre set would go well with the Onkyo - or maybe the new KEF Q300 5.1?

The Onkyo 808 will go brilliantly with the B&W 685 Theatre!

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Ronald Archiebald:noddycat:
Speaking of which, do you think the B&W 685 Theatre set would go well with the Onkyo - or maybe the new KEF Q300 5.1?

The Onkyo 808 will go brilliantly with the B&W 685 Theatre!

+1
emotion-21.gif

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
noddycat:
Thing is, I've been bought as a gift an Onkyo TX-NR808 as a combined surpriseChristmas / birthday present (big 4-0) just on the What Hi-Fi recommendation /5 stars. It's a fantastic present (and of course I'm hugely grateful!) but it's still in the box (no speakers yet) and while I know the Onkyo is a great amp and well reviewed I was wondering if it's the best option for me or not.

Lucky sod
emotion-39.gif

A

Anonymous

Ronald Archiebald:noddycat:
Thing is, I've been bought as a gift an Onkyo TX-NR808 as a combined surpriseChristmas / birthday present (big 4-0) just on the What Hi-Fi recommendation /5 stars. It's a fantastic present (and of course I'm hugely grateful!) but it's still in the box (no speakers yet) and while I know the Onkyo is a great amp and well reviewed I was wondering if it's the best option for me or not.

Lucky sod
emotion-39.gif

I know - I was amazed when I got it (M&S socks and pants are more my usual present fare) but I think my family wanted to get something
special to mark the 'big' birthday - brilliant. As it's a big present I feel a bit
guilty asking whether it's the right amp though... To be honest I've been in the hi-fi wilderness for five years or so (three young kids) so it's a great feeling to be getting back in the saddle again.

Sounds like
the 685 Theatre should be the one to go for - thanks very much for that
feedback. I'm hoping to audition the set soon at a dealer. Re build quality, I only had the 808 out of the box for a few
minutes to see if would fit my TV stand (it didn't - the Onkyo is 20cm high and 18.4kg! - a
monster!) before I put it back in the box for safety, but it seemed substantial enough quality wise. Certainly hugely weighty and nothing fell off.

Only problem now is that I've got to get a new AV stand big enough and strong enough to accommodate the Onkyo with space for reasonable ventilation at the top - the only one I've found that will do the job and fit the space I've got in the room is the Alphason Soundstyle 310 - anyone know if this one's any good? It'll allow about 5cm to 10cm top ventilation (adjustable shelves), so hopefully this'll be enough. More expense though - it's ironic how much a gift ends up costing...

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
noddycat:
Only problem now is that I've got to get a new AV stand big enough and strong enough to accommodate the Onkyo with space for reasonable ventilation at the top - the only one I've found that will do the job and fit the space I've got in the room is the Alphason Soundstyle 310 - anyone know if this one's any good? It'll allow about 5cm to 10cm top ventilation (adjustable shelves), so hopefully this'll be enough. More expense though - it's ironic how much a gift ends up costing...

I use an Atacama Equinox AV rack and it's fine for my 875.

A

Anonymous

Ronald Archiebald:
I use an Atacama Equinox AV rack and it's fine for my 875.

Thanks Ronald - I should probably have a good look at the Equinox - I'd
need the optional extra shelf (for the TV on top) but your 875 is about
the same size as the 808 I think so that's good to know it works on
yours. Out of interest, where do you have the amp - on the lowest
(bottom shelf)? If so, do you find that gives you enough ventilation
space (between the top of the amp and shelf above) - or is the amp on
the top shelf with clear air above? Space limitations (and rules imposed
by my wife!) mean I'd need to have my amp on a bottom shelf with
ventilation above it to the middle shelf, and then centre speaker and
DVR on the middle shelf and telly on the top one.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The 808 is actually pretty good as far as stereo performance is concerned. So good in fact, that going for a good hi-fi speaker package over a lifestyle sub/sat package is highly recommended. The Monitor Audio RX1 pack will be fine, but you can also try the KEF Q300 AV package.

Most AV receivers are pretty big, so you wouldn't gain much by changing it.

Paul.

Amadeus1756:
Out of interest, what's the build quality like? The SR608 seems to be a little flimsy by all accounts.

rgds

Tank like! They are both in the 20kg ballpark and have extruded aluminium face plates.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:The 808 is actually pretty good as far as stereo performance is concerned. So good in fact, that going for a good hi-fi speaker package over a lifestyle sub/sat package is highly recommended. The Monitor Audio RX1 pack will be fine, but you can also try the KEF Q300 AV package.

Most AV receivers are pretty big, so you wouldn't gain much by changing it.

Thanks very much David, that's really good to know re amp and speakers - I'll try and audition the 685, Q300 and RX1 AV speaker sets to get a good idea.

One quick question, at the moment space (and wife-imposed) limitations mean the front speakers will be close to the rear wall (prob about three inches away) - it should be a relatively temporary problem as we hope to move house reasonably soon (and the new house would have to be hi-fi friendly!) but in the meantime would the 685 and Q300 with their front firing ports be better over the RX1's rearward firing port? I don't mind putting up with a less than perfect set up (ie a bit of bass boominess) as a temporary solution before moving house, so long as it's still listenable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts