Something for the (open-minded) tweakers.

Gray

Here's a thread from another forum that may be of interest to the "don't knock it 'till you've tried it" brigade.
If it's not allowed mods, then please delete this. (AV Forums deleted a post when I linked to the WHF forum).

This tape is based on the vibration to heat principle:

I‘m not that open-minded I'm afraid. I said my piece on that forum, but afaik, anything that suppresses vibration must by definition turn it into (the minutest amount of) heat. If it conducts the vibration away then that’s different, naturally.

The heat thing is actually irrelevant, imv, and whether any difference is remotely detectable, well, enuff said! ;)

It’s a good job nobody puts electronics anywhere near loudspeakers. Apart from every crossover circuit and every active speaker, that is!

The person who named it obviously had a sense of humour.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray and Tinman1952

Tinman1952

Here's a thread from another forum that may be of interest to the "don't knock it 'till you've tried it" brigade.
If it's not allowed mods, then please delete this. (AV Forums deleted a post when I linked to the WHF forum).

This tape is based on the vibration to heat principle:
I would think Russ Andrews may be stocking it very soon.......🙄

I'm a great believer in driving out vibration from my system - especially as my kit is closer to one of the speakers than is ideal - but doubt I'll be putting an order in somehow.

Interestingly, Spendor uses strategically-placed gel patches inside some of its speakers which dampen out certain undesirable resonances by turning them into (presumably rather small amounts of) heat.

I think the alarm bells ring when something which might (and I emphasise might) produce some small gains is described in extravagant terms:

'OH. MY. GOD. What a difference. Its like a £3000+ upgrade in a DAC/amp for example. I would almost say its transformed my system. Better musicality, less hifi. Sound explodes out of the speakers rather than being contained by them. Its incredible. Better everything. More detail, tighter bass, and the whole projection of sound that no longer comes from speakers. I'm in shock really at how much a positive difference it makes. Some might ask does it muffle anything, answer no. It kills the noise, making detail clearer and cleaner. '

Even if you are trying to take a non-cynical view, it's hard not to feel pushed towards suspicion by such purple prose...

Reactions: AJM1981 and nopiano

Friesiansam

I think the alarm bells ring when something which might (and I emphasise might) produce some small gains is described in extravagant terms:

'OH. MY. GOD. What a difference. Its like a £3000+ upgrade in a DAC/amp for example. I would almost say its transformed my system. Better musicality, less hifi. Sound explodes out of the speakers rather than being contained by them. Its incredible. Better everything. More detail, tighter bass, and the whole projection of sound that no longer comes from speakers. I'm in shock really at how much a positive difference it makes. Some might ask does it muffle anything, answer no. It kills the noise, making detail clearer and cleaner. '

Even if you are trying to take a non-cynical view, it's hard not to feel pushed towards suspicion by such purple prose...
‘Tis a bit ott!

Especially from someone who has never posted before. Obviously a shill, in my estimation. And if not, then hardly credible. Why would even do that? Go somewhere new to try and convert everyone.

Gray

That's what made me think he was joking.....mocking believers with an OTT charicature.

I know most of you guys are more Audiophiles than me. I have no issues with that. But really if you think bits of tape or some other snake oil actually improves the sound, change your system. Clearly it isn't right in the first place.

IMO it's a waste of money. Either your system, as a whole, sounds right or wrong. If the latter, find the weak link and change it

AJM1981

Mar 26, 2021
Visit site

this is like an 'on steroids' collection of all sugar coated terms ever poured over different hifi reviews.

I remember going to Infidelity Hi-fi years ago and asking the late Derek, who I had a good rapport with, about mains conditioners. This was in my A65 days, he responded (paraphrasing) "you can hear a difference. It boils down to the purity of the mains".

Apparently, the electric mains varies from one electric company to another - some are cleaner than others. He said it wiser to spend on other accessories.

The point I'm alluding to is there's so many variables, regardless if it's wondertape or better quality feet under the racks or speaker stands.

TRENDING THREADS