Some wiring questions - spades or banana plugs

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all WHF readers and WHF team!

I am 20 years old student and I am trying to get myself in hi-fi (or at least come near it, because of the budget).

My father had Technics equipment since 1970s and so I have it also (newer stuff).

In the beginning of this year I bought myself an amp: SU-A900D (pre and power SU-C800U and SE-A900S) and speakers: JBL Northridge E80. (There is also a CD player which I will replace in the near future, a tuner, TV, PS2). With the speakers I bought Van den Hul CS-122 speaker cables without terminations (our biggest hi-fi dealer does not have a termination machine).

Because I always want something new I decided to replace the interconnects and bi-wire my system. So the first question is:

Which interconnects would you recommend for upto 15 pounds per piece? I was looking at
IXOS XHA215-100...

And second one:

I was looking at QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Bi-Wire Cable with terminations... I think the cable is very good in this price range, but I don't know if it is better than my VDH (just looking at the price/m)? So, should I buy a second VDH cable, or should I choose QED bi-wire cable? Or should I choose something else (in this price range)?

If I should choose QED cables, which terminations I should take? QED offers airloc banana plugs and spades... I know my speakers can connect with both.

When bi-wiring, should I connect through A and B terminals on my amp, or should I connect everything thorugh one terminal?

Sorry for any mistakes in pronouncing (I am a foreigner, from Slovenia :) )

Thanks in advance,

Nejc

A

Anonymous

I would maybe spend a little more on interconnects JoelSim put me onto the VDH d102 III for a bargain price here.

or if you don't want to go over £15 look up gotham interconnects on ebay.

The VDH and QED cables are completely different. The VDH produces an open, warm sound and the QED is clinical, bass light and bright. I personally dislike the QED sound and I find VDH and Chord cable to suit my needs.

Spades provide a better, more secure connection than plugs, but unless you are high end there is no difference.

Do you have 2 monoblocks?

ÿ

ÿEdit: Sorry Andrew, thanks for fixing that.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply!

Is there an easy way to know if there are 2 monoblocks? Or do I just have to open up my amp?

Thanks,

Nejc

A

Anonymous

Ah I misread your question I thought you were on about bi-amping.

In my opinion bi-wiring is not worth it. It's a pretty split subject and the argument is an old one so people generally just decide for themselves. I see it as a way for the cable manufacturers to make money, as people get it confused with bi-amping which does make a difference.

So to answer your question it depends. Bi-wirable cables use one plug at one end and two at the other so you would simply connect it as usual. If you are using 2 single runs of cables just connect it to A+B and select A+B.

ÿ

BTW: I wasn't suggesting you take your amp apart, unless you know what you're doing!

ÿ

A

Anonymous

No. It is just one amp (for now).

I am ceratin that there must be a diferrence betwen one amp and bi-amping. So (a non expert conclusion) if I have an amp, which has 2 terminals (that are independant??? <- I don't know), there should also be a diferrence if I put high frequencies through A terminal and low frequencies through B terminal.

But I am sure that there is no diferrence with bi-wiring if I connect low frequencies and high frequencies on one terminal together (let's say A) and then connect it to the speakers as if I was bi-amping (then it is better not to spend money and use those golden jump plates on speakers and use single wires).

I was not trying to open my amp.
emotion-1.gif
I am not an electrician!

Thanks,

Nejc

A

Anonymous

The amp doesn't suddenly double in power, it shares the power.

It's the same as if you were to fix 2 cables to one binding post using a spade and a plug.ÿ

The option that I have chosen is to replace the metal bars connecting the terminals of the speaker with good quality jumper cables.ÿ

A

Anonymous

OK! Thanks for all your replies and suggestions.

I think I will then give the budget I gave for speaker cables to interconnects.

Is buying a good quality jumper cable a common thing? (I mean do people do that or are they mostly satisfied with metal bars provided with the speakers?)

A

Anonymous

The general view seems to be to replace the metal bars with proper wire interconnects on the speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts