Solvent Cleaner for records

martois

Dec 24, 2023
Visit site
Ortofon recommends against use of solvent cleaners as it can damage the cartridge. Anyone have an opinion or experience with this?

daytona600

RCM remove dirt at source , pointless buying records without cleaning them , every record should be cleaned before playing
records sound better
removes static
longer stylus lifespan
reduced record wear

Never use solvents on records or your stylus
weakens bond on Stylus/Cantilever & Capillary action Solvent enters cartridge generator/internals

CA capillary motion is the process of a liquid flowing in a narrow space without the assistance of, or even in opposition to, any external forces like gravity.

Reactions: martois and DougK1
RCM remove dirt at source , pointless buying records without cleaning them , every record should be cleaned before playing
records sound better
removes static
longer stylus lifespan
reduced record wear

Never use solvents on records or your stylus
weakens bond on Stylus/Cantilever & Capillary action Solvent enters cartridge generator/internals

CA capillary motion is the process of a liquid flowing in a narrow space without the assistance of, or even in opposition to, any external forces like gravity.
Yes, as above.
No experience as never used a solvent. Shouldn't be required anyway.

Reactions: martois

martois

Dec 24, 2023
Visit site
Dumb question, I bought a record cleaning kit from “Groove Washer” that includes their proprietary cleaning solution called G2 Record Cleaning Fluid. Think this stuff is free of solvents?

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Dumb question, I bought a record cleaning kit from “Groove Washer” that includes their proprietary cleaning solution called G2 Record Cleaning Fluid. Think this stuff is free of solvents?
They generally are, if not nothing to worry too much about. Even the home brew fluid used by many on here contains IPA, basically as a de-greaser/drying agent.

Reactions: Al ears and martois
Last edited:
Point taken, but the package insert with Quintet does say to avoid cleaning with solvent “…either the record surface or stylus”
That’s slightly different wording for the MC model then. Probably wise, as it’s impossible to know if user will splash a huge amount on, rather than a tiny drop on the tip of a brush. It’s if it tracks back to the suspension that trouble is possible.

FWIW I used isopropyl for years with never a problem, and back in the day I had an Ortofon M 20 FL Super which I’m sure I treated similarly to ADC, Shure, Satin, Grado, Goldring etc.

Reactions: Al ears and DougK1

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
It’s not record cleaner they caution against, it’s stylus cleaning fluid, in particular isopropyl alchohol.

See page 6 (numbered 10) here…https://ortofon.com/cdn/shop/files/...-b4bf-b4af2035fa62.pdf?v=17811384605696627725
Interesting, back in the day I thought the use of isopropyl alcohol was recommended? I used to use it regularly with no problem. Maybe I was lucky. As an aside, I remember quite regularly having to clean off the fluff, but these days I never seem to get any, where has it gone? 🤔😃

Last edited:

martois

Dec 24, 2023
Visit site
Interesting, back in the day I thought the use of isopropyl alcohol was recommended? I used to use it regularly with no problem. Maybe I was lucky. As an aside, I remember quite regularly having to clean off the fluff, but these days I never seem to get any, where has it gone? 🤔😃
I think the last bit of it is stuck on my stylus and it wont let go! LOL

Oxfordian

Now I know where all my fluff is coming from, thanks a lot :mad:

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1

spl84

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
Interesting discussion... I could not imagine EVER needing to clean my stylus with anything other than the tiny microfiber brush that I've been using for years. Every so often it gets caked up with dust and/or lint. Removing lint hardly requires solvent to remove it. Am I missing something?

Interesting discussion... I could not imagine EVER needing to clean my stylus with anything other than the tiny microfiber brush that I've been using for years. Every so often it gets caked up with dust and/or lint. Removing lint hardly requires solvent to remove it. Am I missing something?
Back in the day I played lots of new records, and the tiny stray bits of vinyl and paper dust from the sleeves could fasten themselves fairly stubbornly to a stylus. The pressure per square inch is huge, even at 1.5 grams, because of the tiny contact area. Hence the grunge was almost ‘welded’ to the tip!

It was de riguer to use a stylus cleaning solution, hence it is still widely available. However, modern styli are much better shaped, and I’ve not needed this on my AT despite a hundred or so sides.

Reactions: spl84

Din5

Jun 27, 2021
Visit site
I'm sure you're aware of the fire risk of pure IPA, so probably best not to use it undiluted in your tank ( If that was what you intended !? ). The vapour is not good to breath either.
A solution should degrease your vinyl just fine, perhaps approx 20% strength, you could also add a very small dash of detergent.
I use Vinyl Shelter fluid which they state contains 20% isopropanol, I find this product works well as a record cleaner.
Come to think of it, a decent quality windscreen washer fluid with IPA in it should also work well, you may need to experiment with concentrations though.

Reactions: martois

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts