So who can’t get cable?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn’t say I live in a remote secluded suburb, but we’ve not got cable. The powers-that-be ripped up all the streets ten years ago to lay the stuff, but local legend says the money ran out and they just upped and went, job half finished. So I live in an avenue with a main road at either end, both of which have cable, but my street doesn’t. There are a fair few streets round here in the same situation, while other parts of the community are fully wired. It seems completely random. There is never any news in the local papers regarding completing the job; it’s all been forgotten. Seems to be if we haven’t got it now, we never will have; you don’t hear of anyone actively laying the stuff. I do get a bit fed up of the Virgin radio and TV ads which make it sound so universally available, and it’s far from it. Which is a shame, because cable tempts me more than Sky (which I haven’t got either, though of course that’s by choice). So who else out there can’t get cable?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Wow as much as that...
Well at least I know I'm not alone.
Though I wonder how much of that 50% is in remote/difficult places? Nothing remote or difficult about where I live...they just didn't finish the job off! :wall:

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
daveh75 said:
50% of UK households last time i checked

Is the roll-out still going on or is that it now? We don't have it either and whilst I'm generally happy with Sky, I wouldn't mind being able to have a choice.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Wow as much as that... Well at least I know I'm not alone. Though I wonder how much of that 50% is in remote/difficult places?

It's unlikely that 50% of households are in remote/difficult places, Devon and Cornwall is pretty remote and we only have 3% of the population. And we're in the West Country, which is were Telewest started. I don't know if if the wonders of Plymouth and the like have cable but we don't (and I doubt we ever will).

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
My side of the road isn't cabled but the other side of the road is :roll: . Mind you, given the problems my mother is having with her Virgin Media broadband, I'm not sure I want anything to do with it.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Pretty sure they will never come to our village shame nice to have an alternative to Sky, there is BT but that is not an alternative :doh:

A

Anonymous

Whats cable??????????? lol.........I've only just got 1mb broadband, double my previous speed......Lowestoft, Suffolk.....

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
I usually get 0.7 Mb broadband here in the Scottish Borders. Cable stops 30 miles away. No point in i-Phones as there is no 3G!

However, we do have fairly reliable electricity. Also nice hills and rivers, so there is some compensation.

Andrew

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

In Dunblane, Central Scotland - can't get cable - I believe they stopped laying at Falkirk.

Just had exchange upgraded and now getting 17.6mb downloads and 0.7mb uploads.

Fast enough for our uses.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

No cable here (Leadgate, rural County Durham) and now feel our broadband at 3.1 Mbps is quite good up to some on here!

I read that BT are rolling out FTTC mainly to areas with cable to compete - no interest anywhere else and no date for fibre up for us.... |(

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts