So I just purchased a chord silverplus usb cable..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
CnoEvil said:
I have heard a difference between USB cables, but after a suitable period of flagellation, followed by some therapy, I think I'm on the mend.

Trust your ears Cno.

Don't be silly.....it would cause a relapse of my Audiophilia Foomonia.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
Maybe the 'scientists' don't hear it because they don't believe it can be true. - Maybe they don't allow themselves to trust their own ears.

*Crash helmet on**shok*

You know, of course, that those "scientists" are only agreeing with, well, scientists, though...

SteveR750

Alec said:
Infiniteloop said:
Maybe the 'scientists' don't hear it because they don't believe it can be true. - Maybe they don't allow themselves to trust their own ears.

*Crash helmet on**shok*

You know, of course, that those "scientists" are only agreeing with, well, scientists, though...

the tree, the forest etc.

Love your own ears then you'll be fine.

kingsap

May 12, 2013
Visit site
update 1: so fater 12 hours + of break in. The sound has no difference from yesterday. Ill give it a day or 2 before selling the cable.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
kingsap said:
update 1: so fater 12 hours + of break in. The sound has no difference from yesterday. Ill give it a day or 2 before selling the cable.

Can't you return it for a full refund?

I assume he'll make a profit because he has 'added value' by burning it in and the next purchaser needn't spend their time doing that.

abacus

Personal experience in an unregulated environment does not make the perceived (Or real) outcome fact, and this is what causes the arguments, hence the use of the scientifically proven double blind test which puts everyone on a level playing field.

The best way to post if you personally hear a difference, is to make sure you say its your personal experience, as everybody is entitled to their own opinion. (Saying your personal experience is proven fact is what causes the wrath to occur)

Bill

Rimse

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
you are not the one,who felt like this .I felt the same abaut furutech formula usb cable.At the end I bought usb plugs, copper cable and made usb cable and it sounds the way better like you said in your post "effortless"

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
I can feel the silences between notes getting darker by the second playing that.

There you go. It even works on less revealing systems like AVI. Can't imagine the years of R&D that went into producing that Burn-In disc. Truly magnificent.

Play this tune before and after burn-in.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Not my fault you didn't buy Wilson Alexandria XLFs. You can't build a revealing system without speaker cables! What were you thinking man!

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Not my fault you didn't buy Wilson Alexandria XLFs. You can't build a revealing system without speaker cables! What were you thinking man!

You're right.

I'm not even listening to 24/192 music files either. I have no chance.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Well, there's still hope with that 02 and HD700 in your arsenal. *music2*

Not really, I'm a lost cause when it comes to being a 'proper' audiophile.

I've stopped using the O2 and usually just plug the HD700's straight into an MP3 player (playing MP3's!) because it sounds identical to FLAC played through the O2.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
I've stopped using the O2 and usually just plug the HD700's straight into an MP3 player (playing MP3's!) because it sounds identical to FLAC played through the O2.

I use Chinese ID amp/DAC, playing mp3 stream from Wimp. We might as well close accounts here at WHF.

Priest.gif

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Vladimir said:
steve_1979 said:

I use Chinese ID amp/DAC, playing mp3 stream from Wimp. We might as well close accounts here at WHF.

...and I'm using a budget AVR as a DAC/pre because it sounds identical to proper hifi DAC's but at a fraction of the cost.

Yeah, I might as well just get the WHF mods to delete my account now. I don't belong here. *sorry2*

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Yeah, I might as well just get the WHF mods to delete my account now. I don't belong here. *sorry2*

I don't think you're the only one feeling out of place around here these days, though perhaps not all for the same reason. ;-)

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Vladimir said:
steve_1979 said:

...and I'm using a budget AVR as a DAC/pre because it sounds identical to proper hifi DAC's but at a fraction of the cost.

You both obviously have damaged hearing, as must I.

kingsap

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Update 2 : still no change after burn in. Now im using the usb cable in my headphone setup. In my headphone setup (centrance dacmini - wooaudio wa2 - beyer t1), the usb cables makes 0 difference to the standard usb. However, in my main system, the usb brings negative impact to the sound compared to the standard usb.

In conclusion, in "my" system, and imho,
1) usb can make a difference
2) usb burn in is bollocks.

Cheers all

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
kingsap said:
Update 2 : still no change after burn in. Now im using the usb cable in my headphone setup. In my headphone setup (centrance dacmini - wooaudio wa2 - beyer t1), the usb cables makes 0 difference to the standard usb. However, in my main system, the usb brings negative impact to the sound compared to the standard usb.

In conclusion, in "my" system, and imho, 1) usb can make a difference 2) usb burn in is bollocks.

Cheers all

When USB cables make a sound difference, this is only a mask of the real issue, which is both that the source is noisy—quite normal with computers—, and that the DAC doesn't provide the necessary isolation.

In my opinion Nad doesn't do the best USB implementations. Many people seem to use the M51 with USB-to-SPDIF converters to work around this.

kingsap

May 12, 2013
Visit site
unsleepable said:
kingsap said:

In conclusion, in "my" system, and imho, 1) usb can make a difference 2) usb burn in is bollocks.

Cheers all

When USB cables make a sound difference, this is only a mask of the real issue, which is both that the source is noisy—quite normal with computers—, and that the DAC doesn't provide the necessary isolation.

In my opinion Nad doesn't do the best USB implementations. Many people seem to use the M51 with USB-to-SPDIF converters to work around this.

Any recomendation for a spdif - usb converters? Im reading about the audiophilleo + purepower or the audiobyte hydra. Both is pretty expensive though

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
kingsap said:
Any recomendation for a spdif - usb converters? Im reading about the audiophilleo + purepower or the audiobyte hydra. Both is pretty expensive though

I wouldn't buy nowadays an Audiophilleo. I usually find power supply upgrades for DACs a bit unreasonable, seeing as they are low-powered devices anyways and it shouldn't be so expensive to sell them with the right power supply from the beginning. But Audiophilleo now offers power supply upgrades for their USB-to-SPDIF converters, and I think that's rather excessive.

A converter that has gotten popular is the Gustard U12. You can find it in Shenzhenaudio.com—either in their web site or in their shop in eBay. With VAT and duties it should be around £135.

TRENDING THREADS