snobs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Audiofilo said:
cheeseboy said:
robbie1982 said:
I have read some pretty nasty things on here with regards to peoples stuff

wouldn't worry about it, it's just the internet. People do it for many reasons; trolling, to make themselves feel superior/better, because they think they are right, to bully and also to try and validate their own purchases.

+1. Well said. They''e also probably constantly unhappy with their own overpriced system they keep tweaking and are therefore jealous that you are content with yours. I've noticed some nasty comments on here too. Anyone who disagrees with them gets argued against and they all gang up.

Reverse snobbishness of the highest order.

And stereotyping of the most unpleasant kind. How do you know they are unhappy, their systems overpriced or that the owners spend all their time tweaking? Please tell.

No, this is the politics of envy, pure and simple. I would love to be able to improve my system but can't, doesn't stop me discussing it and other systems in a rational manner.

The only people I see on here looking to 'validate' their purchases are usually at the low end of the market and often dissapointed buyers who are just discovering that this months 'wonder' product sounds no better than what they had before.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:

And stereotyping of the most unpleasant kind. How do you know they are unhappy, their systems overpriced or that the owners spend all their time tweaking? Please tell.

No, this is the politics of envy, pure and simple. I would love to be able to improve my system but can't, doesn't stop me discussing it and other systems in a rational manner.

The only people I see on here looking to 'validate' their purchases are usually at the low end of the market and often dissapointed buyers who are just discovering that this months 'wonder' product sounds no better than what they had before.

sorry, was that for me or audiofilo?

Just to say if it was for me, I was just giving a reason as to why *some* people do what they do on the internet. It's not jsut restricted to this forum, but pretty much everywhere there is space for public comments.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
robbie1982 said:

There may well be some 'nasty things' on here from time to time (although even that is relative you just have to read some YouTube comments to see that), but it's rare in the extreme in my experience to see someone's kit slated on the basis of its cost. I've seen it a few times in many years, and I think every time the slater has been attacked for their views.

Simon's comment on your other thread was ill-judged and irrelevant.
I agree with this.

While I find that some opinions could be put more politely, I dont feel that the systems of members' regularly come under attack.....often quite the opposite.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I dont feel that the systems of members' regularly come under attack.....often quite the opposite.

Yeah..........I agree with you. There are a lot of opinions on this forum and there's nothing wrong with that.......everybody has one. But it doesn't get nasty or unpleasant IMO.

But with cable discussions............that's another story ;)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
davedotco said:

sorry, was that for me or audiofilo?

Just to say if it was for me, I was just giving a reason as to why *some* people do what they do on the internet. It's not jsut restricted to this forum, but pretty much everywhere there is space for public comments.

No, not you cheesboy mainly the stereotypical and entirely unfounded comments about owners with expensive systems.

Though to be fair, your point on validation, on this forum at least, is well off the mark, it seem to be those planning to buy 'forum favourites' at the budget end of the market that seem to neet the virtual pat on the back for making the 'right choice'.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
Though to be fair, your point on validation, on this forum at least, is well off the mark, it seem to be those planning to buy 'forum favourites' at the budget end of the market that seem to neet the virtual pat on the back for making the 'right choice'.

in fairness, i never mentioned any cost when talking about validation of purchases. I've seen it come from all sides of the coin (again, not just referring to this forum in particular).

CnoEvil said:
BenLaw said:
robbie1982 said:

There may well be some 'nasty things' on here from time to time (although even that is relative you just have to read some YouTube comments to see that), but it's rare in the extreme in my experience to see someone's kit slated on the basis of its cost. I've seen it a few times in many years, and I think every time the slater has been attacked for their views.

Simon's comment on your other thread was ill-judged and irrelevant.
I agree with this. While I find that some opinions could be put more politely, I dont feel that the systems of members' regularly come under attack.....often quite the opposite.

There is a distinction between snobbery and loyalty. Very few people actually attack someone elses system, and generally if they do, they don't stick about too long.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
davedotco said:

in fairness, i never mentioned any cost when talking about validation of purchases. I've seen it come from all sides of the coin (again, not just referring to this forum in particular).

Fair enough, I just took it 'in context' with the quoted post.

I did think it a little odd coming from you.

Just a thought.

I am sure that there is something seriously odd in my character as I am more likely to by something that I think will make people go "Why the hell did you buy that" rather than something others will endorse as a "Good choice". More than a little perverse.....!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
I am sure that there is something seriously odd in my character as I am more likely to by something that I think will make people go "Why the hell did you buy that" rather than something others will endorse as a "Good choice". More than a little perverse.....!

The difference is in whether or not you set out to buy something that will elicit such a response. If so, it's "perverse".

It's like the guy who lives in a road where every house has a particular brand/type of car outside. It just might be that the same brand/type will suit his needs very well indeed, but he buys a 1954 Bentley convertible instead (just to show 'them' how non-conformist he is) despite it being a disastrous choice.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
davedotco said:

The difference is in whether or not you set out to buy something that will elicit such a response. If so, it's "perverse".

Not normally, so maybe not that perverse then.

In areas that I may have some expertise, I prefer to go my own way and work things out for myself. This often leaves me at odds with mainstream opinion, happens in matters other than hi-fi too.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
chebby said:
davedotco said:

Not normally, so maybe not that perverse then.

In areas that I may have some expertise, I prefer to go my own way and work things out for myself. This often leaves me at odds with mainstream opinion, happens in matters other than hi-fi too.

It often happened to me with my choice of cameras in the past. That's why I left photography forums behind. They were all about Canon vs Nikon whereas I was all about buying anything that interested me, trying it all out and taking photos with it. (The last place you'd see any interest in photographs was a photography forum!)

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
robbie1982 said:

Nasty things about people's stuff? Not their children, their wife, their friends - their stuff? Why do some people take all this hi-fi business so seriously? Some systems may be rubbish or not. So? Why take things personally?

Many years ago when I was newish to all this, a good friend of mine listened to my system and gave me the honest opinion that it sound awful compared to other systems he had heard (he didn't use the word 'awful'...), giving me sound reasons why. He also questioned why I'd wasted so much money on such a system. Rather than take personal offence I reflected on what he said, came to the conclusion that he was probably right and set off on a very different hi-fi path to where I finally am today - the end result of which these many years later is that I am more passionate about music and have a much deeper appreciation of it than ever before in my life, because of hi-fi.

But it’s still just stuff.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Tear Drop said:
Nasty things about people's stuff? Not their children, their wife, their friends ...?

If the forum were not moderated then yes, you'd get all that and a lot worse.

I saw what resulted from an un-moderated splinter version of another well-known hi-fi forum once and it was unspeakably offensive, racist and homophobic.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
Tear Drop said:
Nasty things about people's stuff? Not their children, their wife, their friends ...?

If the forum were not moderated then yes, you'd get all that and a lot worse.

I saw what resulted from an un-moderated splinter version of another well-known hi-fi forum once and it was unspeakably offensive, racist and homophobic.

Undoubtedly all from people who, if you met them in person, wouldn't say 'boo' to a goose. Forums are a focal point for people's frustrations for sure.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
One should never react in tantrum when others call their mass assembled generic electrical appliances deficient. It's not like they said your children will never become doctors.

Be stoic, keep calm and move on.

"Stoic - A person who can endure pain or hardship without showing their feelings or complaining."

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
One should never react in tantrum when others call their mass assembled generic electrical appliances deficient. It's not like they said your children will never become doctors.

Be stoic, keep calm and move on.

"Stoic - A person who can endure pain or hardship without showing their feelings or complaining."

You were just looking for a reason to make reference to the Stoics. 8)

Audiofilo

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Twaddle. Envy? I'm not envious of anything, merely stating a "potential' case for some people on here. Note the word 'probably', there's a clue there and I''m entitled to post what I like without your say so or flaming dear boy.

I'm also very happy with my system and couldn't give a toss about anyone elses!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts