Smaller amp plus power amps vs. BIG AMP

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Hi again Damien,

You're thinking of dumping the Denon, but why don't you do what I did and add a power amp for your front pair instead. This has two huge benefits:

1. You get fantastic sound from your front pair, and more so for stereo.

2. All the Denon's amps are free'd up for surround duties. I'm using a brace of Dali Ikon On-Walls in a 7.1 setup. Works an absolute treat.

I don't think you need to Bi-Amp the centre channel. I have mine bi-wired (though don't even get me started on this, I have no idea if it's made any improvement over a single run).

I have however used 6 of the amp channels in my Audiolab X7 poweramp on the front pair. 2 for the tweeters and 4 for the bass drivers in bridged mode. They sound better than they ever did powered by my Denon but I think one day I'll need to upgrade the front pair. (Dreams of Dali Helicon 400 or 800s). I'd see if you can borrow a suitable power amp from your dealer to try out and if you want to bi-amp the front pair, then buy 2 power amps or a multichannel power amp, and then get some Y phono cables to split the pre-out signal. I bought mine from Mark Grant who made them up especially. Very very good cables!

Also think about getting your power amps second hand. There is some amazing gear out there. You'd be keeping your investment in the Denon and you'll always be able to upgrade it later if you want, but choose the right power amps and you'll always be able to keep them.

Let me know your thoughts! :)

A

Anonymous

hi will. I'm mainly upgrading from the 4306 to move to hdmi1.3 and for HD audio decoding. I have a bluray player and am waiting on delivery of a Pioneer plasma so those are the main factors for the upgrade and seeing as I'm getting the wallet out I decided to go for an audio upgrade too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts