Small Speakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Pmc twenty 21.may be a bit over budget but if you look around,some x demo or fine s/h examples can be found.Although you might be looking for an amp upgrade soon after.but they are dinky little boxes with a sound that is probably not achievable in a reflex speaker of the same size.

friendly_ghost

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I auditioned the Amphion Argon 1 a while ago, they are very small indeed and gave a very good sound. I found the highs a bit too sharp, but that could be your preference. Might be worth a look!

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for building the shortlist guys!

Interest thought, if I go active then I could sell on my current amp and speakers making the new purchase eminantely affordable. That is how I am supposed to think, right? *diablo*

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
DavieCee said:
Thanks for building the shortlist guys!

Interest thought, if I go active then I could sell on my current amp and speakers making the new purchase eminantely affordable. That is how I am supposed to think, right? *diablo*

that's right.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
As mentioned earlier in the thread, that budget buys a lot of active speaker. I'm over the moon with my Genelec 8020c. Phenomenal bass for the size. Better than my DB1i, but I don't think I ever gave my PMCs the meaty amplification they desire.

i was just thinking that if I was starting from scratch I could've had a phenomenal system for half the price with some bigger Genelecs, an Apple TV, DAC (even the very cheap FiiO I'm using sounds great) wifi and a streaming service like Apple Music where you can control the volume from your iDevice.

As you're in the UK (?) the DM5 would be a strong candidate. It wasn't an option for me where I live.

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Shortlist update:- The following have been rejected from the shortlist due to not being of significant a reduction in size, regardless of performance.

Kef LS50, ATC SCM 7, Sonus Faber Chameleon B, Dali Mentor Menuet, Dali Ikon 1 MK2, Harbeth P3 ESR, PMC Twenty 21, Spendor D1, Amphion Argon 1a, Neat Iotas.

The following are still on the list - PMC DB1i, AVI DM5, Generic 8020c, ProAc Tablet Anniversary, Audiosmile Kensai. I can audition the PMCs and the ProAcs, whilst the Audiosmiles are offered as try and return. The others may move more difficult. Any comments?

Stage 1 - Introduce Roksan set up. If successful eventually consider upgrades from the top list. If unsuccessful, introduce TDL NFM from loft then upgrade from the shortlist above. If unsuccessful with the TDLs, start a new thread on ultimate headphones.

rainsoothe

Hi. I don't really understand removing the Neat Iotas from your list, unless you auditioned them and didn't like 'em. Otherwise, they'remuch smaller then everything on your list. Also, the ATC SCM7 are almost identical in size with the PMC DB1i you're considering, but I have a feeling looks might have something to do with your decision. But both afforementioned speakers are very good, small and should partner well with a Roksan K2.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The Neat Iotas are about 1/2 the size of the PMCs. Maybe you should check the dimensions again. The good thing about Neats is there should be OK for wall mounting. If size is the real issue I would be looking at Iotas and AVI DM5s.

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the comments guys. The Neats were rejected due to their width. Can they be used vertically? You are possibly correct on the PMCs. They just came in under the 300mm cut off and may still be rejected. The set up will be going in a tight corner. Not ideal, and not how I'd do it but that's marriage and compromise for you.

PMC DB1 - 155 wide, 234 deep, 290 high

ATC SCM 7 - 174 wide, 245 deep, 300 high.
Neat Iotas - 200 wide, 165 deep, 130 high.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
maybe it could be easier if you just give your max w/d/h ? but then I don't think people will go and check measurements and go back and report... or maybe they'll do.

I once been looking for electronics max 9cm high to fit my lovely tv unit.

robhifi

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I have a dedicated but small room (3x4 meters) and have always been in favour of small/bookshelf speakers.

Out of all the small speakers I 've owned and still own(Elac 203.2, BMW 805S,EGGLESTON ISABLE,ATC SCM7 and SCM19,Proac tr8,Proac D2, Sonus faber Minima,AE1 etc etc), elac 310 is by the most impressive small speaker.

Scale, impact ,out of boxiness,natural sounding,bass(more than eoungh in a small room)and relatively easy to drive well.

Pretty to look at and your wife won't bother you.

But sorry, it's German.

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
The Elacs look interesting but I cannot find anywhere that sells them.

Regarding size, I am purely guessing as SWMBO is the ultimate judge. I will try both my sets of speakers and gauge size from the response.

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
I would look at:

Neat Motive x3 - Very engaging sound and good bass for a small speaker.

Dali Mentor Menuet - Smooth and very warm and also detailed.

regards

Rich

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
DavieCee said:
Regarding size, I am purely guessing as SWMBO is the ultimate judge. I will try both my sets of speakers and gauge size from the response.

I see. Here's what to do: find the small(ish) speaker you like best. Let her choose between your favourite and two or three larger and less pretty models. She can choose and you get your fav speakers. Win-win!

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Well, that experiment failed.

I had concluded the even the TDLs on small stands simply didn't work in the room. This was doubly confirmed when my wife got home.

I have settled on a mediocre surround set up with satellite speakers in the main room, and the stereo set up in the small spare room.

Sorry for wasting your time, but at least I know for sure now and someone else may find the thread of use.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts