Small integrated amps

tomayresss

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi All

So I'm looking to get a small integrated amp as my Quad 11Ls and turntable haven't been used in over 2 years, mainly down to the fact that my amp (NAD C352) is too big to fit anywhere. I mainly listen to music via headphones through from PC --> Caiman+ but would like to start using my speakers & turntable setup again. My cheapy Vianco PA-111 is also broken.

So far I've looked at:

NAD D3020 - cheap, perfect space-wise, but also full of digital stuff I don't need since I have the Caiman and it would be doubling up

Quad Vena - looks good, might be a good pairing for my speakers (?), would just about fit space-wise, but again re: digital stuff I don't need

Rega Brio - more expensive, would fit OK space-wise, includes a phono stage, analogue only which is fine.

One other thing: is my Camian+ really out of date? It must be about 8 years old now...are the DACs in the NAD / Quad a big improvement?

Are there any other amp options out there that are a good size? The Vena is about as big as I could go. If not, any thoughts on a comparison between the above?

I was intending to spend less than £500 but I could stretch it a bit.

Thanks

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
tomayresss said:
Hi All

So I'm looking to get a small integrated amp as my Quad 11Ls and turntable haven't been used in over 2 years, mainly down to the fact that my amp (NAD C352) is too big to fit anywhere.  I mainly listen to music via headphones through from PC --> Caiman+ but would like to start using my speakers & turntable setup again. My cheapy Vianco PA-111 is also broken.

So far I've looked at:

NAD D3020 - cheap, perfect space-wise, but also full of digital stuff I don't need since I have the Caiman and it would be doubling up

Quad Vena - looks good, might be a good pairing for my speakers (?), would just about fit space-wise, but again re: digital stuff I don't need

Rega Brio - more expensive, would fit OK space-wise, includes a phono stage, analogue only which is fine.

One other thing: is my Camian+ really out of date? It must be about 8 years old now...are the DACs in the NAD / Quad a big improvement?

Are there any other amp options out there that are a good size?  The Vena is about as big as I could go.  If not, any thoughts on a comparison between the above?

I was intending to spend less than £500 but I could stretch it a bit.

Thanks
At the nad 7020d

jas0_0

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
I owned and loved a Cyrus 8XPD - compact half width design and fantastic sound. If you don’t need the digital bits, the 8a is the same amp without the DAC

I’m afraid I don’t know your Quad speakers, but if they’re voiced like their amps - quite warm - then the addition of some Cyrus sparkle could be a great match.

insider9

newlash09 said:
Some small amps that come to mind are :

Yamaha wxa-50

Elac G (please google, as I don't remember the full name)

Paradigm PW amp

Micromega my amp

:)
Good call on Elac heard it briefly with Elac 203.2 speakers very nice and superb functionality

https://www.elac.com/product/debut-series-da101eq-g-integrated-amplifier/

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
newlash09 said:
Some small amps that come to mind are :

Yamaha wxa-50

Elac G (please google, as I don't remember the full name)

Paradigm PW amp

Micromega my amp

:)
Good call on Elac heard it briefly with Elac 203.2 speakers very nice and superb functionality

https://www.elac.com/product/debut-series-da101eq-g-integrated-amplifier/

And the elac also comes with room correction done via a phone app. Might not be a very comprehensive one, but it is still there. And elac had launched it to match the discovery server for a small foot print high res streaming music system :)

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I was also looking for a small amp and went for the Onkyo Rn855. Great sound, great dac, integrated streaming and USB. Also very affordable. Looks nice together with the matching CD player.

The latest NAD was the first thing I thought of, but the newish Cyrus One is well thought of and would be a good match with your little Quads. I didn’t know the Onkyo spec but as it has MM input too, it looks like a very versatile option.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
PS Audio Sprout? Now revised in a more powerful version, and just 6″W x 8″L x 1.75″H. Around £500 or so, I think.

New-3.png

insider9

Nelis87 said:
I was also looking for a small amp and went for the Onkyo Rn855. Great sound, great dac, integrated streaming and USB. Also very affordable. Looks nice together with the matching CD player.
Nice unit. Didn't realise they had something like this out.

Could of year ago I used CRN-755 in a second system. Very functional and decent sounding. It was later replaced by CRN-765 which improved every feature I had an issue with in my model.

Lots of interesting solutions on this thread.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts