Small budget standmounts

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Mrs Gaz is considering allowing a pair of speakers in the living room but they must be small and under £100 new or used

I'm thinking along the lines of Epos ELS3 but am wondering if Quad lites are useable as main speakers (I believe they're intended as satellites)

Sound wise I realise big bass, in fact any bass to speak of, is unlikely so want realistic sounding vocals and HF.

What should I be looking for on the bay of evil?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Gaz37 said:
Mrs Gaz is considering allowing a pair of speakers in the living room but they must be small and under £100 new or used

I'm thinking along the lines of Epos ELS3 but am wondering if Quad lites are useable as main speakers (I believe they're intended as satellites)

Sound wise I realise big bass, in fact any bass to speak of, is unlikely so want realistic sounding vocals and HF.

hi if your lucky you might find secondhand Dali Zensor 1s or Dali Zensor 3s around that price or some old Mission speakers a £100 is quite a tight budget to be honest

insider9

Blacksabbath25 said:
Gaz37 said:

hi if your lucky you might find secondhand Dali Zensor 1s or Dali Zensor 3s around that price or some old Mission speakers a £100 is quite a tight budget to be honest 
Zensor 1 are the only Dali speakers I would not recommend unless as rears for home cinema. Big gaping hole in midrange.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Gaz37 said:

Zensor 1 are the only Dali speakers I would not recommend unless as rears for home cinema. Big gaping hole in midrange.
I was thinking of the lines of a small speaker that does not dominate a living room I used to own them they are not big on bass but still a clear sounding speaker and I agree they are good for rears the Zensor 3s are the better budget speaker which I've owned too

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
The Diamond 9.1s are probably too big I'm afraid.

I did consider the Quad 11L but the ones I've watched seem to for more the £150 mark.

insider9

Blacksabbath25 said:
insider9 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Gaz37 said:

I was thinking of the lines of a small speaker that does not dominate a living room I used to own them they are not big on bass but still a clear sounding speaker and I agree they are good for rears the Zensor 3s are the better budget speaker which I've owned too 

Agreed, they're very frustrating little things. Still quite Dali and would work for some types of music.

Gaz I was once recommended Dayton B652-Air by Vladimir. Brand new for circa £90 and excellent reviews. They do have a 6.5 inch drivers though so not sure if not too big.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
The best pair of small budget, small size speakers I've heard are the JPW Mini Monitor. The first pair I had were only £40 when I bought them new in 1995, and I recently picked up a pair for a tenner off eBay for one of my kids. Absolutely cracking little speaker for the price.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
insider9 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Gaz37 said:

Agreed, they're very frustrating little things. Still quite Dali and would work for some types of music.

Gaz I was once recommended Dayton B652-Air by Vladimir. Brand new for circa £90 and excellent reviews. They do have a 6.5 inch drivers though so not sure if not too big.

Those sell online direct from EU warehouse.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Gaz37 said:

Dali Z3's are big and ugly.

George

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Q Acoustics 2020 are good speakers with good mid range for vocals and decent bass. There are also the later model Q Acoustics 2020i which are supposed to be very good also but I have not heard those so I cannot comment.

George said:
Q Acoustics 2020 are good speakers with good mid range for vocals and decent bass. There are also the later model Q Acoustics 2020i which are supposed to be very good also but I have not heard those so I cannot comment.
I'd second the 2020i because they are under a ton at Richer Sounds, and you could swap them if you didn't like the sound. I like the look, but do note they are unusually deep.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
drummerman said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Gaz37 said:

Dali Z3's are big and ugly.
keep the grills on *smile* my dali opticon 8s are even uglier but look goods with the gills on

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Roth Olis look a good option IF they come in light wood finish

QA 2020 would be too big (depth) for Mrs Gaz

Mordaunts & Rodgers too old fashioned looking

See what I'm up against? :(

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:
Gaz37 said:

What would you have if budget wasn't a factor?  And I don't mean a different wife!  

Neat Iotas?  

I don't pay any attention to anything in that price bracket.

I've had a pair of kef q1's for about three days and returned them.....a wee bit bright for me they were.but that was with a arcam a85 back in the day....I'd definitely recommend a pair of mission 780's or 781's if you can find a pair that still function.lol.

George

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Gaz37 said:

My wife never complained about mine being too deep *biggrin* But seriously though it must be be frustrating that looks are more important than sound. Q Acoustics 2010, 2010i and 3020 are smaller than the 2020 . I have the 3020 which are good but maybe over your budget. I have not heard the 2010 or 2010i but they do have good reviews but less bass than the 2020/2020i. The 2010/2010i and 3020 are also available in white gloss and walnut.

TRENDING THREADS