Slow BBC iPlayer on my TV

kai

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello

I recently bought a Sony KDL-40HX853 40inch TV.

Everytime I want to watch a programme on BBC iPlayer, iPlayer takes a long time to buffer a video.

My problem is:-

When I load a programme, it plays 1 minute, then stops and loads for 1 minute, then plays 1 minute, then stops and loads for 1 minute, etc.

Also, when the programme fully loads and after I've watched it once, when I want to replay the video, the same problem happens again (the video is staggering when I play).

iPlayer isn't similar to YouTube, when you can just pause the video and let it fully stream before playing smoothly. And on YouTube when you want to replay a video, the video plays smoothly when you drag it back to the beginning (considering the video has fully streamed).

My question is, is whether it's:

1) My TV's fault,

2) Or depends on how strong my Sky internet connection is (I haven't got unlimited internet at my Sky service),

3) Or none of the above, BBC iPlayer just slow itself?

Many Thanks

~ Kai

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
It's down the reliability and speed of your internet conection.

Rarely had any iPlayer problems here. (Primarily using ethernet to our Humax 'TV portal' for iPlayer.)

Our Sony BDP-S390 is a bit slow on iPlayer menus and searches but fine - no buffering - once a programme is selected and running. (It's why we prefer the Humax because iPlayer menus and searches are so much faster on it.)

We have a Virgin Media 'L' 20Mbps cable connection that is rock soild on speed and reliabilty.

Try this test...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
I'd go with what Chebby is saying. Never had a problem with iplayer being slow.

What sort of download speeds are you getting on your internet? you can do a speed test here.

We are with Virgin which as Chebby says is rock solid.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
I have the same virgin/humax setup as chebby. It is normaly fine but today iplayer was hanging on the high quality stream. Internet was otherwise ok, so I assume iplayer was overwhelmed by high demand .Low quality was ok

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts