Slingbox?

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
For various reasons (mostly as I'm fed up with being subjected to Eastenders at 10pm on BBC3), I'm contemplating a Freesat+ box.

The obvious choice is either a Humax Foxsat HDR or a Samsung SMT7800, both 5 star products.

The less obvious choice is this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/EchoStar-HDS-600RS-SlingLoaded-Anywhere-recorder/dp/B004S9OT92/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1330528008&sr=8-8

Now, I've read the review of another slingbox product here but it seemed to be poorly rated (no hdmi etc), but that doesn't seem to be an issue here.

Has the WHF team seen this product in action (or has anyone else). How does it compare on PQ as against the normal (non Harddrive) Humax HD box?

The "sling" function is highly unlikely to get much use (perhaps while on holiday, so it's a "nice to have"). What's the EPG like also?

any input/indepth comments welcome!

daveh75

Posting from my phone right now, so too much faffage to provide links, but have a look on AVF, there's a good few threads/user reviews on the Echostar. General consensus seems to be that the Freesat side of things are v. good - An easy to set-up, responsive box with decent EPG and PQ. The sling side of things, PQ is poor even over LAN and the slingplayer mobile app is expensive @ £20

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
thanks daveh75 - I thought I could depend on you! even if the Sling bit is a under-par, at £190 from John Lewis it seems to be a stonkingly good deal for a 500gb freesat HDR - cheaper than the humax/samsung offerings...

Do WHF have any plans to review this?

thanks

A

Anonymous

My Technomate 6800HD died recently and I was torn between this and a Humax Foxsat as replacement. As you've mentioned, WHF gave it 4 stars at £350 - Maplin currently have it on sale for £180! That's got to be 5 Stars at nearly half price???

I'm delighted to report I plumped for the Echostar as a 500GB PVR, with no intention of using the sling capability. Glad that I did - it's easy to set up, has fairly quick menus, really good picture and sound. Setting the PVR is straightforward and it looks much smarter in the flesh than some reviewers might have you think (its shape is an acquired taste, but looks and feels solidly made).

The bonus is the slingbox functionality - I flashed it up just for a play and was surprised by the ease of use and (watchable if not excellent) picture quality over a range of internet connections. Not a reason for buying in itself, but a great bonus!

I think it's well worth it, especially if Maplin are still offering the deal...

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
thanks Joe. In the end, I bought a Samsung SMT-s7800 on ebay. It's from a regular person (so not one of those power sellers flogging B stock) and I got it for an incredible £92.40 (plus £8.99 p&p). Given it's rrp is £215 and it's the product of the year, I'm hoping for great things! It arrived in the post today (the box has a "date of manufacture stamp" indicating it is only 4 months old).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts