Question Slimline speakers? And slimline stands?

erbasically

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
My current set-up is a Linn Classik CD/receiver and AVI Neutron III speakers. I want to replace the speakers with some that sound good at low-to-medium volume (terraced house) but don't have room for anything much wider than the AVIs. Can anyone recommend some appropriate speakers, either floor standers up to 160mm wide by 850mm tall, or stand mounters up to 180mm wide? Depth is not such an issue as the AVIs are about 25cm from the rear wall. But if I get stand mounters I would need stands to fit in the 160mm gap - do any exist? I'm not into DIY and am currently propping the right hand speaker on a pile of bricks, which needs to change ASAP!

erbasically

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah but decent stands don't fit my room! To cut a long story short, the speakers sit either side of what were once fireplace walls and one of the speakers is between the fireplace wall and the TV unit. So there is a very slim gap for either a speaker stand or a floor standing speaker - about 160mm. A bookshelf speaker could be slightly wider than 160mm but the stand can't, because the narrowest point is at floor level where the skirting board sticks out.

Last edited:
So the base of the stands has to be no more than 160mm?
Can you not move them out further into the room?
are you in the UK? The firm hifi racks makes custom size speaker stands so might be able to help

Last edited:

erbasically

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
This problem arises because the "walls" are where there must have been a stove or fireplace and extend 450mm into the room, creating alcoves where the speakers, TV, stereo etc are located. If I move the speakers out beyond the alcoves it looks odd and they get in the way. I'm still wondering whether there are any suitable floor standers that would fit into the gaps, as long as they complement the Classik.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts