Slightly muffled sound

PG

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I have got a rega Deck, artiston ax910 amp -15 years old, Philips 723 CD player - also old, and two sets of Bandw speakers with a QED box which means both sets of speakers are connected to the amp and I can Switch from each set or have both on. The two sets of speakers are B and W dM600 s3 and 686's. The tv is also plugged into the amp.

I know the amp and CD player arn't great but the sound used to be ok. Reacently I have noticed the sound from both the cd and the turntable have become slightly muffled, a bit like an over played record, I have tried various records and CDs, old new etc but the same issue occurs, although I don't really notice it when watching and listening to the tv through the system.

Is this an issue with the Amp? i.e. Is it blown or worn out? Or is it the speakers? can't imagine it is the speakers It is never on very loud, I have had alook and they look alright. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you.

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I doubt you speakers are to blame- unless you've had a big party recently, tweeters generally just don't blow by themselves during sensible use.

My thinking would be that the output capacitors in the amplifier are on the way out- which is easy enough to diagnose and fix, but probably best done by a qualified repair person.

There's a chance it could be the capacitors in the speakers' crossover, but I would think that very unlikely as they are modern speakers.

Can you get your hands on a different amp to test?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
PG said:
The tv is also plugged into the amp.

I know the amp and CD player arn't great but the sound used to be ok. Reacently I have noticed the sound from both the cd and the turntable have become slightly muffled...

What about the sound from the TV?

PG

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
The sound from the tv seems ok, I wondered if it was because the audio from broadcasts is perhaps mor compressed or something and so it doesn't get effected by the fault

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts