Sky Q without a satellite dish

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
This is probably the best move Sky has ever made and might get me to rejoin Sky when it becomes avabile in 2018. No more mssed up pictures on your TV when the weather gets bad because your satellite dish is outside. My only question is what took you so long to do this Sky?

daveh75

If your pictures were getting 'messed up' because of bad weather then your dish was either badly aligned or possibly too small.

As for being the best move Sky has ever made, it's just same ****, different delivery method as far as I'm concerned.

Cannibalising their current platform via heavy and much needed investment in Now TV would have been a much shrewder move IMO...

Gray

Sounds like you maybe suffering premature 'Rainfade'. This may well be, as Daveh75 pointed out, that your dish is out of alignment / too small. Also, the 'shotgun' type twin coax gives greater attenuation of the signal than CT100 type coax cable.

If you want to be able to use a dish you could try the larger type dish (designed for use in Scotland) and / or replace the thinner type cable (if that's what you've got) with CT100. You'll then only lose signal with the heaviest snow clouds, if at all.

Freesat for me. I wouldn't have Sky if it was £10 per year.

Gray

I asked a Sky installer about this when he came to my brother's house (Nov. 2019).
Due to problems, it will not be happening any time soon apparently.

(He also mentioned that they do more swapouts of faulty Q than their older boxes,
which does not surprise me in the least).

Last edited:

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Sky has announced they will in the future ! They have too save money and once there agreement with the owner of the satellite finishes they will. I reckon it will be as early as 2021 and watch out for announcements in 2020 . What could happen is that Freesat could take over some of the Sky channels ie Sky news but not the Sports ones except maybe Eurosport ! To rent satellites is expensive. Now what about Virgin as you know they are cable only ! they could also have a satellite system rented as well. Sky has to look at what the viewer wants and what they want now is not an ugly dish ! Cable is the way to go !

Friesiansam

If Sky stop using satellites before we get access to a faster internet connection, then it will be goodbye Sky, or Land. We live in a small village in West Somerset, the nearest green box is in the next village and there is no chance of VM cable here. As for an internet connection fast enough for tv anytime soon, no chance, not least because Connecting Devon and Somerset are as much use as a chocolate teapot that has already melted before being used.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Sky will at some point not use a satellites due to cost at the moment they have a contract worth milions with Astra. But it will not last much longer ! they want to cut costs asap. spending hundreds of millions on sport and films they getting worried about Amazon and Netflix and now Apple. so stand to reason they will remove the satellite box . The Q box should be the last box they supply !

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts