Sky+HD to 2nd TV with mini hdmi?

digigriffin

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
I currently have a launch date Sky+HD which is hdmi to my main TV and then component over cat5 to the TV in the bedroom a floor above.

Recently I have been having some issues with the Sky+HD which leads me to think it may need replacing soon.
I know that a replacement will not have component out so I will need to find a new way to get the HD image to the TV in the bedroom.

So firstly I would need a hdmi splitter.
Then the options are to use the two cat5e that I and have run with some hdmi over cat5 boxes (cost and cables need rj45's added).
Or run a 10m hdmi?
If running the hdmi I would have to drill some very large holes in walls to get the connectors through.

I have just seen a hdmi to mini hdmi cable and and mini hdmi to hdmi connector.
So I am thinking that with mini hdmi being small this would be easier to route and then with the connector to turn the mini hdmi to standard hdmi on the end I would have a working cable.

Any thoughts?

A

Anonymous

Hi there, I'd be interested to know if you tried the mini HDMI option and if it worked? I'm thinking of trying the same thing!

digigriffin

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
Yes I did try but had no luck.

As I recall it, I could not get a picture when using the mini hdmi bits.

I did some digging aroound at the time and I think I came to the conclusion that differences between the mini hdmi standard and the full hdmi standard prevented this from working.

In any event I used a fairly cheap 10m hdmi that had a plastic casing to the hdmi plug.

I then used a dremel to grid away the edges of the connector, I have justed measure it and the width is 17mm.

The end result was a 10m hdmi that went through two walls into a neet hdmi 1 in 2 out splitter and this has worked flawlessly.

A

Anonymous

Thank you - I decided to follow your lead and drill the bigger hole for HDMI. It works perfectly, and I've combinded in with a Magin Eye to eneable channel chaning. Perfect! Cheers.

Rockposer

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
I was looking into hdmi over Cat5/6 but on looking at the cost maybe I'll go with running a long hdmi cable. Just worried though about bending the cable too much and it affecting picture quality.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts