Sky HD setup (phone line requirement)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am thinking of switching from Sky + to Sky HD. The self setup instructions say you need to connect a phone line to activate the HD on setup. Once this is done can you disconnect the phone line? Does the phone line have to go into a broadband splitter or straight to the old BT socket? I use the Sky + without any connection. I don't want to get a dual adaptor or new socket if the phone line is only needed for initial setup and not for ongoing usage.

A

Anonymous

You don't need the phone line to be connected for Sky HD to work but the Sky contract requires a phone line to be connected at all times and they occasionally check for this by bouncing a signal to your box.

I have found in the past that they threatened to increase my monthly cost because I didn't have a phone line connected but when I argued and told them I wanted to cancel my service they eased off.

I have moved to a rental property and didn't want to run a phone line around the room from the socket to the Sky box and so far (after 4 months) no issue raised by Sky so hopefully not going to be an issue.

Can be handy if you want to use Sky Box Office to have a phone line connected though.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that. I had sort of the same issue with the Sky+. I have never had a phone line connected post set up and it has never been mentioned to me by Sky, they haven't said a word. I will just go ahead and take my chances. Do they really want to throw away £55 per month by making a customer unhappy. Flipping heck, I have on just realised that it is £660 per year. That is a shed load of money to spend on telly programmes!

A

Anonymous

Yes, thinking about it, I think it only really matters with Sky Multiroom where you get a discounted rate for the second box (they want to ensure that both boxes are being used in the same house to make sure you are not giving a cheaper subscription to a friend in another house - they do this of course by checking both boxes are running off the same phone number so must be in the same house).

They reserve the right to charge full rate for both boxes if you cannot demonstrate this by having a phone line plugged into both.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I just had Sky installed and the engineer said sky aren't worried to much about the 1 box to be connected to the phone line but they are about multi room boxes, though it doesn't stop people doing the same if they have the sky go as i have has someone elses sky go account for over a year now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts