Sky HD not showing HD!!!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Sky's done a juggle for HD box users to coincide with the launch of Atlantic tonight, moving some HD channels to more prominent positions: for example, Sky 1 HD has now moved to the channel 106 position, while Sky 1 (standard definition) has moved to 170, and so on.

We covered this in news a couple of weeks back: you can read about it in today's Sky Atlantic news story

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:I just got home and Channels 170, 408, 409, 455 not in HD. I don't mean not shown in HD, I mean the HD is nit showing by the logo and the picture is awful!!!

Aha! They have changed all the channel numbers - how annoying!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
Sky's done a juggle for HD box users to coincide with the launch of Atlantic tonight, moving some HD channels to more prominent positions: for example, Sky 1 HD has now moved to the channel 106 position, while Sky 1 (standard definition) has moved to 170, and so on.

We covered this in news a couple of weeks back: you can read about it in today's Sky Atlantic news story

Thanks Andrew, I just discovered it before phoning Sky!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:Andrew Everard:

Thanks Andrew, I just discovered it before phoning Sky!

You mean to say you don't read every news story the good people here post on the website? Outrageous!

As for annoying, no, it's much better, you just go to the "normal" channel number and there it is, in HD, excellent.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
the_lhc:Gerrardasnails:Andrew Everard:

Thanks Andrew, I just discovered it before phoning Sky! You mean to say you don't read every news story the good people here post on the website? Outrageous! As for annoying, no, it's much better, you just go to the "normal" channel number and there it is, in HD, excellent.

Not strictly true though - in fact you have just confused me for starters.

Using your theory, why is it the old BBC 1 channel - 101 - is still the same and not HD - also on the planner on HD channels, the BBC channels dont come up 1st - they have been relegated down the pages.

Sure I will get used to it but I too am a bit confused ( however it doesnt take much ) !

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
psurquhart:the_lhc:Gerrardasnails:Andrew Everard:

Thanks Andrew, I just discovered it before phoning Sky! You mean to say you don't read every news story the good people here post on the website? Outrageous! As for annoying, no, it's much better, you just go to the "normal" channel number and there it is, in HD, excellent.

Not strictly true though - in fact you have just confused me for starters.

{sigh} It's true for all the channels they HAVE changed.

Using your theory, why is it the old BBC 1 channel - 101 - is still the same and not HD -

Read the other thread on this subject, OFCOM rules don't allow Sky to move the old terrestrial channels.

also on the planner on HD channels, the BBC channels dont come up 1st - they have been relegated down the pages.

Well, that's simply because they're listed in numerical channel order.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok, ok - shall be quiet now.

Its a shame about meddling OFCOM though, I guess that would be asking too much.

Thought the footy on 408 looked rubbish tonight - beginning to get it now ! And yes, I agree, with the exception of OFCOM / BBC / ITV / CH 4 & CH 5 listings, it really is much better.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'm confused at people being confused. I wouldn't have a clue what any channel number was/is on Sky - I go straight to the HD channel listing on the EPG and select from there
emotion-40.gif

GazzyP

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
I agree Clare - I am the same I have no idea what the numbers are just go straight to the planner.

BUT!!

Now I am hunting around the HD tab to find terrestial HD channels some 2 or 3 pages down - its a complete pain!!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:I'm confused at people being confused. I wouldn't have a clue what any channel number was/is on Sky - I go straight to the HD channel listing on the EPG and select from there
emotion-40.gif

It's quicker if you know the numbers that's all, BBC1-2, ITV, C4, they're easy enough, the sports are easy, start at 401, other than that I just have BBC1HD (143), BBCHD (169) and ITV1HD (178) memorised. I did know ITV2,3,4HD known because they were 225,6,7 but they've moved now, other than that the only one I could remember reliably was ESPNHD, 442, and that's simple if you watch football at all! Of course that's moved now as well!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
GazzyP:Now I am hunting around the HD tab to find terrestial HD channels some 2 or 3 pages down - its a complete pain!!

I don't imagine that's a coincidence to be honest...

TobesEtc

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
As of yesterday on Sky HD you have to press:

TV Guide...
Then the Right Arrow once to get HD stations...
Then the Down Arrow 16 (sixteen!) times to get BBC1 HD...
Then finally Select

(Yes, you can use Page Down to reduce the 16 "down arrows", but how many people who don't contribute to online forums know that?)

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
GazzyP:

Now I am hunting around the HD tab to find terrestial HD channels some 2 or 3 pages down - its a complete pain!!

But at least SYfyHD is now on the first page - just in case we had forgotten it exists

cinemafan

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
This is probably a silly question, but does 'upgrading' to Sky HD mean EVERY station is in HD or only some of them? Thanks ........
emotion-10.gif

daveh75

cinemafan:This is probably a silly question, but does 'upgrading' to Sky HD mean EVERY station is in HD or only some of them? Thanks ........
emotion-10.gif

No, only some of them...There's currently 57 HD channels (i think, lost count now) on Sky. Some of which broadcast 100% HD and some of which are simulcasts of SD channels, which means they broadcast in HD when available and upscaled SD the rest of the time

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Only the ones that have an equivalent HD channel and not all of them do. I think there's something like 50 HD channels on Sky now. The SD versions of each are still available after you upgrade.

What I want to know is, having just updated my Sky+ Remote Record app on my android phone, it still shows the HD channels on the old numbers, so what happens if I record something on 108 for example, the app thinks that's Sky Atlantic, my Sky box thinks that's Sky AtlanticHD, so which one wins?

There's only way to find out... I'll try it when I get home.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
There is also an option on the Sky HD EPG to highlight in orange which programmes on the simulcast HD channels are native HD content (though this isn't always 100% accurate, it's very useful when you're browsing).

110630b3bbli.jpg

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:Only the ones that have an equivalent HD channel and not all of them do. I think there's something like 50 HD channels on Sky now. The SD versions of each are still available after you upgrade.

What I want to know is, having just updated my Sky+ Remote Record app on my android phone, it still shows the HD channels on the old numbers, so what happens if I record something on 108 for example, the app thinks that's Sky Atlantic, my Sky box thinks that's Sky AtlanticHD, so which one wins?

There's only way to find out... I'll try it when I get home.

Interesting, it ignores the channel number and records the channel name you select. Makes sense I guess.

A

Anonymous

Am I the only one who uses the blue button to search through favourites then? Or do they not have that on Sky+HD. I'm only on SD Sky still at the moment. The wife is tempted now that Grey's Anatomy has started and there is a Living HD - sorry Sky Living HD.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts