Sky HD issues

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am now on my 5th box, 2 thomson, then 2 samsung and now back to thomson.

All have the same problems, failed recordings, problems with playback on HD when recording HD etc.

There appears to be no solution so I am about to chuck Sky out.

Unless there is a solution.

Are there any third party suppliers where I can buy a HDD device that works and plug in my sky card ?

Can I adapt the Panasonic Freesat recorder to work with Sky

A

Anonymous

I too have just had my third Thomson box fail. Told Sky "no more Thomson's" They have now supplied me with a new Samsung. Picture quality is much better, quieter in operation and, back to the old EPG yippee!! (meantime anyway) The jury is out on the Samsung but, after three years of continuous struggle with Sky boxes my patience is now running out. I will wait and see how the Samsung performs and its reliability

AVF18

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi havr you tried the forced software update? To do this keep your finger on the back-up button on your sk hd box,keep holding it then switch the box off by the wall,keep finger held on back-up,leave the power off for 30 seconds,then switch power back on(keeping your finger on the back-up button) you will see all the lights on your sky box light up,And the picture on your tv should say "updating system software please do not turn off this could take up to 10 mins. Let me know how you should get on.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
These issues are all too familiar to me - on my 3rd Thomson box, and now out of warranty...well done Sky, you managed to string me along for long enough....we've been thought the motions over the phone countless times. My only option now seems to be to pay for an engineer to come out so that they can tell me that I need to get a new box, and then Sky can charge me full price for it. Fantastic.

A

Anonymous

Hi Dan

Why not take put Sky insurance at abt £8.00 per month. I have had three Thomson boxes and now a Samsung all for the insurance (covers call outs and equipment replacements)

A

Anonymous

ps not connected to Sky or the insurance world!!
emotion-1.gif

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
avf18:

Hi Dan

Why not take put Sky insurance at abt £8.00 per month. I have had three Thomson boxes and now a Samsung all for the insurance (covers call outs and equipment replacements)

avf, I hear what you're saying, but it's kind of the principle that leaves me very reluctant to do that. E.g. if I did that I'd pay out £100 odd (assuming minimum 1 year contract for the insurance) to get a replacement box, when a) I never had a satisfactorily functioning product in the first place and b) new customers get a brand new box for £49 at the moment.

Would I be more of a mug for spending extra under the circumstances, or for allowing myself to be saddled with the glitchy box on a point of principle? I can't decide...

mikey2008

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I've posted before regarding standard Sky boxes (doesn't matter which ones, although have had Sky HD for 8 months with no problems - Amstrad box, the other SD Sky+ box has been failing for months) and I think the number which fail and aren't addressed properly by Sky properly is a disgrace. I personally think it's a case of reeling in the new customers and doing it as cheaply as possible where the boxes are concerned. This is obviously a good business plan from Sky's point of view, but the hardware is very poor.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts