Sky F1 - New subscribers being fleeced

Scissor_digits

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
So if you haven't already got a Sky subscription and want to subscribe including F1 channel it will now cost you an extra £5 for first 6 months. £10.25 extra a month after that

http://www.sky.com/f1

That's £349.50 for 12 months or if you want HD the princely sum of £441

Cheers Sky!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Not sure it's fleecing: until now, you had to buy the Sky Sports package at £21/mth to get the Sky F1 channel, and that would mean £252 for the whole year on top of the basic package, or £189 if you only took it for the duration of the F1 season.

Now it looks like you're going to be paying £5 a month for the first six months, and then £10.25 for the last three months, of the season – so a total of £60.75 for the F1.

The HD premium is £5/mth for six months, and then £10/mth after that, so the total for F1 if you take the HD option, and subscribe to F1 just for the season, is £120.75.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Not sure it's fleecing: until now, you had to buy the Sky Sports package at £21/mth to get the Sky F1 channel, and that would mean £252 for the whole year on top of the basic package, or £189 if you only took it for the duration of the F1 season.

Now it looks like you're going to be paying £5 a month for the first six months, and then £10.25 for the last three months, of the season – so a total of £60.75 for the F1.

The HD premium is £5/mth for six months, and then £10/mth after that, so the total for F1 if you take the HD option, and subscribe to F1 just for the season, is £120.75.

In that case its alright then, almost a bargain :roll:

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
eggontoast said:
In that case its alright then, almost a bargain :roll:

We'd all like the F1 to be on the BBC in HD for free, just as some members of my family are angry that premiership rugby is only available on pay TV these days.

I was merely pointing out that the cost hasn't gone up from last year, as the thread title suggested, but has actually gone down.

Scissor_digits

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Last year you got the F1 channel if you subscribed to the basic HD package for £21.50 a month

So if you want to watch in HD that's an increase of £183 this year.

I stand by the use of the word fleeced

jjbomber

How are they being fleeced. Sky sets a price and, if you agree, you pay it. If you don't agree, then you don't pay it. Being fleeced is when you don't want to pay something but have to as you don't have a choice. You could add in that people who don't have a TV licence would have to pay an additional £140.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Scissor_digits said:
Last year you got the F1 channnel if you subscribed to the basic HD packager for £21.50 a month

So if you want to watch in HD that's an increase of £183 this year.

I stand by the use of the word fleeced

Having re-read the Sky site, you do get the F1 channel as part of the HD upgrade/subscription, which costs £5/mth for first six months, then £10.25/mth after that.

So total annual cost of adding F1 (and HD) to a basic Sky package, which is £21.50/mth for the first six months, is £91.50.

/sites/whathifi.com/files/images/skysports%201.jpg

But FWIW, if you're on Virgin rather than Sky, you have to pay £25.75/mth extra for a Sky Sports package if you want to see every F1 race, and even then the races aren't in HD

daveh75

If you dont want to pay Sky's prices then there's always this (Also worth keeping an eye on Lidls/Aldi/Netto, as they often have similar or DIY kits on offer for less, as do Homebase)

Or you could add a second LNB for 19.2E to your Sky dish with a bit of DIY.

£65 and 30 mins of your time tops for the initial set up = FTA F1 for as long as it remains available FTA in Europe

Point the dish at 19.2E

Practice 1 (mixture of delayed and live depending on venue, IIRC) and 2 are available on Sport 1 Germany

Delayed practice 3, Qualiyfying and races are available on RTL Germany, Austria and also RTL Switzerland on 13E

Plus obviously the BBCs coverage.

Or the even easier route there's RTL stream http://www.rtl.de/formel1/livestream/index (You'll now need a German based proxy/VPN as they conveniently started geo-blocking soon after the Sky deal was done)

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
daveh75 said:
If you dont want to pay Sky's prices then there's always this (Also worth keeping an eye on Lidls/Aldi/Netto, as they often have similar or DIY kits on offer for less, as do Homebase)

Or the even easier route there's RTL stream http://www.rtl.de/formel1/livestream/index (You'll now need a German based proxy/VPN as they conveniently started geo-blocking soon after the Sky deal was done)

Strewth, do you work at GCHQ? :eek:

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Never had Sky and never will. I don't know why, how, or what for, but someone in my office reckons they pay over £100pm to Sky (which presumably includes HD, internet, multiroom and all the bells and whistles you can think of) yet you still have to tolerate adverts. What's all that about.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Imagine awakening in a 'real-life' Huis Clos with this pair...

images
images

doogleef-81642-albums-smiley-picture808219-smiley-suicide.gif

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Cost on Virgin is £257.75,10 months, on top of existing subscription,not thrilled but anytime i've tried online options there tends to be some compromise.

Did anyone watch testing in 3D, any good ?

ukdavej

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
daveh75 said:

£65 and 30 mins of your time tops for the initial set up = FTA F1 for as long as it remains available FTA in Europe

Point the dish at 19.2E

Practice 1 (mixture of delayed and live depending on venue, IIRC) and 2 are available on Sport 1 Germany

Delayed practice 3, Qualiyfying and races are available on RTL Germany, Austria and also RTL Switzerland on 13E

Plus obviously the BBCs coverage.

I would like to re-classify that last sentence. rather than an easier route, it should read "a slightly less than impossible to understand route ....."

Mr 75, I am always astounded by your knowledge of this particular subject. Could I ask a question? - do you have access to EVERY channel in the whole world :grin:

6th.replicant said:
Imagine awakening in a 'real-life' Huis Clos with this pair...

images
images

Is it just me or do these images resemble past Bond villians?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Unsure where £90-100pm comes in? My £75pm gives hd, 3D, films, internet & phone unlimited & F1. I dont think Virgin can beat that tho' others' priorities may dictate one or other option. Bargain? Maybe not but fair value I believe.

sebrouen

Sep 25, 2007
Visit site
My advice is don't subscribe! I was talked back to sky with an offer six months free for all their channels. What actually happened was free for the first three months and half price for the last three months. And please explain an extra tenner for the 'privilege' of watching hd. Of course we're being fleeced. Remember you're already paying for tv with the bbc licence fee. I now forgo paying more for tv (most of it's garbage anyway) so it'sback to motd for the footie and most of the programmes i like are on the bbc anyway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts