Sky buying 1,000s of 3D TVs

scene

According to reports I've seen, Sky has purchased some 15,000 LG 3D-capable televisions to put in pubs and other venues all over the UK. Rolling out for the World Cup I guess - should help pack out the chosen pubs.

Sorry if this is a repeat posting - but I haven't seen anything on WHFSV about this (though I may have missed it - I've been a bit ill over the past few days...
emotion-41.gif
)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, LG is supplying them, according to the reports, but they seem a bit late for the plans to show Premier League games at least this season.

And not too sure what if any World Cup content will be available for broadcast in 3D...

A

Anonymous

so can i , what i cant figure out is why sky are so interested in getting this off the ground ?? er , wait now , i might , because they hope to charge a premium for their 3d coverage once (if) people have got used to it ??

theres one thing for sure , 3d is going to be expensive , but who for ??

scene

Andrew Everard:
Well, LG is supplying them, according to the reports, but they seem a bit late for the plans to show Premier League games at least this season.

And not too sure what if any World Cup content will be available for broadcast in 3D...

Agree on the Premier League. But, will have to differ on the World Cup: click - Official FIFA press release stating that 25 World Cup games will be recorded for broadcast in 3D - though interestingly using Sony technology
emotion-5.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Recorded, yes, but then neither the BBC or ITV have plans to go 3D, Sky don't have the rights, and AFAIK Eurosport, which will be showing highlights, don't have 3D plans either. So not too sure who'll be able to show it, at least in the UK.

In other territories, maybe...

And it looks like Sky's plan is to roll out a dedicated 'pub channel' first, then go with a public one later. Mind you, I guess that halo effect of having 3D TVs in pubs could pay off, in that those looking to buy 3D TVs may go for the ones they've seen in the pubs...

daveh75

scene:Andrew Everard:

Agree on the Premier League. But, will have to differ on the World Cup: click - Official FIFA press release stating that 25 World Cup games will be recorded for broadcast in 3D - though interestingly using Sony technology
emotion-5.gif

Only the BBC and ITV had the rights to show World Cup matches though.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
scene:Agree on the Premier League. But, will have to differ on the World Cup: click - Official FIFA press release stating that 25 World Cup games will be recorded for broadcast in 3D - though interestingly using Sony technology
emotion-5.gif

Why is that interesting? Or deserving of a wink? Sony are a main player in broadcast standard cameras, it's hardly a surprise.

scene

the_lhc:
scene:Agree on the Premier League. But, will have to differ on the World Cup: click - Official FIFA press release stating that 25 World Cup games will be recorded for broadcast in 3D - though interestingly using Sony technology
emotion-5.gif

Why is that interesting? Or deserving of a wink? Sony are a main player in broadcast standard cameras, it's hardly a surprise.

Sorry - the wink was for the fact that Sky were going with Samsung TVs - and yes I know it's not that surprising that Sony are providing the cameras, especially as they are an official sponsor of the 2010 World Cup.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
scene:Sorry - the wink was for the fact that Sky were going with Samsung TVs

...Or even LG TVs...

But hey, we probably all look the same to Koreans, too
emotion-5.gif

scene

maxflinn:recorded for broadcast , not shown live though ..

ESPN seem to think they're showing at least the opening match of the 2010 World Cup live in 3D as part of their commitment that:

"ESPN 3D will showcase a minimum of 85 live sporting events during its first year, beginning June 11 with the first 2010 FIFA World Cup match"
(ESPN press release)

scene

Andrew Everard:
scene:Sorry - the wink was for the fact that Sky were going with Samsung TVs

...Or even LG TVs...

Oops
emotion-10.gif
- brain freeze

(Believe embarrassment emoticon is appropriate here)

A

Anonymous

doesnt espn show premier league matches here ?? on the sky platform , i wonder seeing as the beeb and itv are not showing 3d , will espn be granted freedom to show some world cup games in 3d in the uk ??

daveh75

According to the Metro

" The rights to the tournament are protected under the 1996
Broadcasting Act, meaning only providers with free-to-air services and
national or near national coverage can apply.

Therefore, as a Group A Listed Event, only currently BBC1,
BBC2, ITV1, Channel 4 and Five can bid.

Due to certain scheduling
clashes in the early stages of the tournament some group matches will be
shown on other channels - including BBC3, the interactive streams of
BBC1, and ITV2, 3 or 4.

However, all England games and the latter stages of the event
will all be shown on mainstream terrestrial channels.

Ofcom has
launched a consultation and is inviting other broadcasters and
interested parties to comment by April 1st"

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
When I spoke to Sony last week, they told me FIFA has yet to finalise the 3D broadcast rights for the World Cup. They're hoping a decision will be made in the next few weeks:

"FIFA is still negotiating with broadcast partners as to who will have the rights for live 3D transmission of World Cup games in South Africa. We expect FIFA to make an announcement in the next few weeks," is the official line from Sony.

Under an agreement between Sony and FIFA, Sony will film up to 25 World Cup matches in 3D. What we know so far is:

During the 2010 World Cup, FIFA will host "Fan Fests" in seven cities around the world where visitors will be able to view promotional highlight trailers in 3D: Berlin, London, Mexico City, Paris, Rio de Janeiro, Rome and Sydney.

Ahead of the release of official World Cup 3D film, viewers will be able to watch promotional 3D trailers at retail outlets (including Sony Centres) that sell Sony products around the world.

Sony Pictures plans to produce and distribute the official 3D film of the World Cup on Blu-ray and other formats.

scene

Andy Clough:
When I spoke to Sony last week, they told me FIFA has yet to finalise the 3D broadcast rights for the World Cup. They're hoping a decision will be made in the next few weeks:

"FIFA is still negotiating with broadcast partners as to who will have the rights for live 3D transmission of World Cup games in South Africa. We expect FIFA to make an announcement in the next few weeks," is the official line.

So have ESPN jumped the gun with their press release? - click

GetCarter

Nov 5, 2003
Visit site
Have to say, that I really can't see pubs landlords being overly happy at the way 3d works in the long run or it being a long term success in pubs either.

Because if they give glasses out free, they will have to collect them back for future use (can't see Sky providing unlimited supplies of glasses) and if they charge for them, its going to be a real headache with people queueing up for drinks and glasses, and joe public being as tight as he is in the current climate won't want to pay £3-4 for a pair (as the cinemas charge), and I really can't see most punters remembering to take their glasses with them every time the go to the pub either!!

Its a good idea short term, but a non starter long term.

daveh75

One problem i can still see, is Sky have been pricing themselves out of the pubs over the last few years.

The current Pub subscriptions are ridiculous and many smaller freehouse and franchised pubs are ditching Sky in favour of "grey market" european satellite.

Added to that,any pub worth its salt has a PJ/large screen anyway-what good is a sub 50" tv gonna be in a packed pub.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
scene:Andy Clough:

"FIFA is still negotiating with broadcast partners as to who will have the rights for live 3D transmission of World Cup games in South Africa. We expect FIFA to make an announcement in the next few weeks," is the official line.

So have ESPN jumped the gun with their press release? - click

The deal may have been done for the 3D broadcasting rights in the USA, but we're still waiting for confirmation of who will get the UK rights.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts